Even though it isn’t necessary to seal air-dry clay before you paint, I prefer to provide my clay sculpture with a water-resistant finish.
These sealers provide a good surface on painting one applied onto sculptures.
Below are my three best air dry clay sealers…
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Liquitex Acrylic Polymer Varnish
I was drawn to this transparent sealer for its affordability and ease of use.
All you need to do is apply the varnish on the clay with a brush.
- It is resistant to chemicals, Ultraviolet radiation, and water.
- It offers a permanent finish.
- It provides a durable but flexible finish.
- It is water-resistant
- It is cheap.
- It is easy to apply.
- Can’t be mixed with oil paintings.
Liquitex Acrylic Varnish is one of the best ways of sealing air dry clay because of the durability of the end product it assures us.
2. Mod Podge Matte Finish
I liked Mod Podge Matte finish because of its simplicity.
All I needed to do was apply it three to four times with a brush.
In between each application, I let it dry.
I would advise all of you to apply it to form three or so layers.
Mod Podge comes along as a package consisting of a sealer, glue and finish
It is a water-based sealer which means that if the air dry clay is exposed to small amounts of water droplets, you will damage your air-dry clay.
The three-in-one product should be stored in a room temperature place.
You can apply it using either a sponge or brush.
To prevent any permanent mess after your work is completed, it is advisable to clean with soap and water.
- It is easy to apply.
- It is nontoxic.
- You can easily clean with soap.
- It promotes ease of use.
- It isn’t waterproof. Hence the sculpture could be damaged when exposed to water.
When exposed to direct sunlight, it tends to yellow the sculpture.
I have put Mod Podge on the list due to its ease of use, especially in DIY projects.
3. Liquid Epoxy Resin
I particularly love Liquid Epoxy Resin because once I am done applying it to my sculpture or anything of that sort, it provides a glossy finish.
Additionally, I love that I could indulge in my artsy projects without worrying about their toxicity levels.
You should mix the epoxy resin with the hardener in a ratio of 5:2.
- It is crystal clear and transparent.
- It is of low viscous nature.
- It is chemical-proof.
- After application, the clay tends to be waterproof.
- Even when exposed to the sun, it doesn’t yellow the clay.
- Liquid Epoxy requires the user to be careful as it is toxic before it hardens.
The process of application is long and tedious.
Liquid Epoxy Resin has made it to the list because it is the only of the three that can permanently seal the clay while making it water-resistant.
- CONVENIENT SIZE - This 12 oz clear acrylic sealer is a must-have to your art supplies
- GLOSSY, CRYSTAL CLEAR FINISH - When dry, this easy-to-use formula dries to a glossy, clear finish that will make your arts and crafts glisten
- USE ON MULTIPLE SURFACES - This easy to use spray sealer works great on wood, metal, canvas, terra cotta and so much more
- EASY CLEAN UP - After completing project, turn can upside down and spray to keep nozzle from clogging
- TRUSTED BRAND - For over 50 years Mod Podge has been America's favorite glue, sealer, and finish. Mod Podge Gloss Acrylic Sealer is proudly made in the USA
- Acrylic sealer spray provide a protective, clear finish
- Give a glossy luster to virtually any indoor or outdoor project
- A durable protective finish
- Spray on formula goes on simply and evenly
- Contains no cfcs-in accordance with federal regulations
- VERSATILE SIZE - This unique sealer comes in a convenient 8 oz size that will keep your outdoor projects looking fresh throughout every season
- CLEAR, MATTE FINISH - This formula is water-based, non-toxic and dries clear for a soft, subtle matte finish - perfect for all your arts and crafts!
- USE ON MULTIPLE SURFACES - This unique outdoor sealer can be used on a variety of surfaces including wood, metal, terra cotta, and much more
- EASY TO CLEAN UP – Clean up is easy with FolkArt Finishes Matte Outdoor Sealer! Simply clean up while wet with soap and water
- AMERICAN MADE - FolkArt Finishes Matte Outdoor Sealer is proudly made in the USA. A preferred brand among crafters, painters, and artists, FolkArt is a staple in any collection of art supplies
- Water based gloss varnish for Polymer Modelling Clay or Air Hardening Modelling Clay
- Dries to transparent, high gloss finish
- Screw cap ensures it won’t dry out during creative sessions
- Seal, protect and strengthen clay pieces
- Easy application: Use a soft taklon brush, apply the varnish in thin layers, allowing approx. 30mins to dry between applications.
- Triple thick glaze's high solids formula quickly builds a bright, clear coating giving the illusion of depth
- One coat equals three coats of many other clear aerosols
- Used on many types of materials wood plaster, bisque, metal, plastic and paper
- Many other uses in studio, home crafts and shop projects
- Comes in 12-ounce
So what’s the best air dry clay sealer?
My first pick for the best air dry clay sealer would be Liquid Epoxy Resin because it is resistant to very many external factors.
Even though all of the air dry clay sealers, Liquid Epoxy Resin, Mod Podge Matte Finish, and Liquitex Acrylic Polymer Varnish are good I’d pick the Liquid Epoxy Resin every time.
Last update on 2023-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API