Even though it isn’t necessary to seal air-dry clay before you paint, I prefer to provide my clay sculpture with a water-resistant finish.
These sealers provide a good surface on painting one applied onto sculptures.
Below are my three best air dry clay sealers…
1. Liquitex Acrylic Polymer Varnish
I was drawn to this transparent sealer for its affordability and ease of use.
All you need to do is apply the varnish on the clay with a brush.
- It is resistant to chemicals, Ultraviolet radiation, and water.
- It offers a permanent finish.
- It provides a durable but flexible finish.
- It is water-resistant
- It is cheap.
- It is easy to apply.
- Can’t be mixed with oil paintings.
Liquitex Acrylic Varnish is one of the best ways of sealing air dry clay because of the durability of the end product it assures us.
2. Mod Podge Matte Finish
I liked Mod Podge Matte finish because of its simplicity.
All I needed to do was apply it three to four times with a brush.
In between each application, I let it dry.
I would advise all of you to apply it to form three or so layers.
Mod Podge comes along as a package consisting of a sealer, glue and finish
It is a water-based sealer which means that if the air dry clay is exposed to small amounts of water droplets, you will damage your air-dry clay.
The three-in-one product should be stored in a room temperature place.
You can apply it using either a sponge or brush.
To prevent any permanent mess after your work is completed, it is advisable to clean with soap and water.
- It is easy to apply.
- It is nontoxic.
- You can easily clean with soap.
- It promotes ease of use.
- It isn’t waterproof. Hence the sculpture could be damaged when exposed to water.
When exposed to direct sunlight, it tends to yellow the sculpture.
I have put Mod Podge on the list due to its ease of use, especially in DIY projects.
3. Liquid Epoxy Resin
I particularly love Liquid Epoxy Resin because once I am done applying it to my sculpture or anything of that sort, it provides a glossy finish.
Additionally, I love that I could indulge in my artsy projects without worrying about their toxicity levels.
You should mix the epoxy resin with the hardener in a ratio of 5:2.
- It is crystal clear and transparent.
- It is of low viscous nature.
- It is chemical-proof.
- After application, the clay tends to be waterproof.
- Even when exposed to the sun, it doesn’t yellow the clay.
- Liquid Epoxy requires the user to be careful as it is toxic before it hardens.
The process of application is long and tedious.
Liquid Epoxy Resin has made it to the list because it is the only of the three that can permanently seal the clay while making it water-resistant.
- Surface prep medium
- For use before oil and acrylic painting; Made in USA
- May be tinted with acrylic colors but do not mix with or apply over turpentine or oils; May be thinned with water
- Can be applied to multiple porous surfaces, such as canvas, wood, cardboard, plaster, and concrete
- Not appropriate for egg tempera or gilding
- SUPER STRONG ADHESION Double-sided acrylic tape with nano tech is ideal for mounting purposes. High adhesion capacity allows mounting on metal, plastic, aluminum, or glasses surfaces. Warning: Not for use on dry-painted surfaces.
- INSTANT BONDING Does not require curing or drying stage, just press the item against the surface with tape in between for instantaneous mounting.
- TEMPERATURE & WEATHERPROOF This tape is both weatherproof and waterproof, making it perfect for indoor and outdoor use such as mounting photo frames, kitchen tools, stopping furniture, rugs or carpeting from moving and sliding.
- REUSABLE Alien tape can be reused multiple times, and it should work just as effectively the seventh time as it did the first. Just rinse it off in the sink and let it dry before applying it to a new surface.
- DURABLE It has a thickness of 2.0 mm, width of 3.0 cm, length is 7 feet and it’s durable enough to withstand the pressure of up to 17.5 pounds of weight without ripping or otherwise refraining from doing its job.
- CRAYOLA AIR DRY CLAY: Includes 5 pounds of sculpting clay in a re-sealable bucket.
- CONVENIENT STORAGE: Modeling clay comes sealed in plastic to ensure freshness. After playtime, use the storage bucket to keep clay soft and ready to reuse.
- NATURAL CLAY: Fine, natural white clay is easy for little hands to sculpt, model, and mold.
- DIY CLAY PROJECTS: Leave your handmade clay crafts out to harden naturally—no kiln or oven necessary!
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES: Crayola Air Dry Clay is a great addition for teachers as classroom art supplies.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED - Create your own decorative air dry pottery with 2 pounds of air dry clay, 3 arm attachments, 3 sculpting tools, 6 paint colors, palette, brush, apron, and much more included!
- INTEGRATED ARM TOOLS MAKE POTTERY EASY - This pottery wheel is specially designed for beginner potters of all ages, with innovative arm tools to assist in centering, opening, and shaping your clay.
- 2-SPEED ELECTRIC MOTOR - Our pottery wheel for beginners provides steady power & rotation against downward pressure, with 2 speeds for different parts of the pottery-making process.
- KID-FRIENDLY INSTRUCTIONS - The detailed Instructions include video lessons and helpful hints to start kids off right, while the illustrated Learning Guide teaches the science and history of pottery.
- HIGH-QUALITY EDUCATIONAL TOYS - National Geographic is proud to make the highest quality hands-on science toys, and all our products are backed by exceptional service.
So what’s the best air dry clay sealer?
My first pick for the best air dry clay sealer would be Liquid Epoxy Resin because it is resistant to very many external factors.
Even though all of the air dry clay sealers, Liquid Epoxy Resin, Mod Podge Matte Finish, and Liquitex Acrylic Polymer Varnish are good I’d pick the Liquid Epoxy Resin every time.
Last update on 2022-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API