The sofa is one of the most commonly used pieces of furniture in most homes.
Therefore, sofas with cheap cushions often cause your sofa to lose its shape.
The length of time it takes for this to happen usually depends on how often you sit on the sofa.
Most of the time, it happens within a year. When this happens, it does not mean that you have to get a new sofa.
You can always replace the foam in the cushions.
I find this to be a cost-effective DIY project that can make your sofa look good as new.
What is the best foam to use for sofa cushions?
The market is packed with a wide range of foam options.Among the many types, the best type of foam to use for your sofa cushions is high-density polyurethane foam (see what’s the best foam for dining room chairs here).
This type is available in a wide range of weights and densities. It is the best type for this task because it offers superior support and comfort.
PU form is also long-lasting and can maintain its perfect state for up to six years or more.
Below is a guide on how you can choose the best sofa cushion;
Step 1: Consider the density rating of the cushion
In this market, density refers to the amount of material per cubic foot of foam. The density rating is usually the first two numbers in the general cushion rating.
A high-density cushion is the best type if you want your sofa cushion to last for a long time.
High-density foam can maintain their shape for several years. High-density foam is an ideal choice for a seating cushion.
However, I would not recommend it for the back cushions because it is usually hard.
Step 2: Consider the compression rating
The last two digits in the rating of a cushion are referred to as the compression rating.
Compression refers to how the cushion compresses under someone’s weight. A high-compression foam is always an ideal choice.
This type usually feels firmer and has more hold. This means that you have to apply more weight for it to sink.
On the other hand, a cushion foam with a low compression rate usually adheres to your body’s shape.
Step 3: consider the softness of the foam
In this case, I would recommend the open-cell foam. It is the softest because it allows air to move through it easily.
This allows the foam to compress more efficiently.
This is because when you sit down, the air within the foam is expelled, allowing it to conform to the shape of your body.
These open-cell foams also rebound better as the air flows into the open cells again effortlessly. They also offer a better cooling effect.
- ABOUT OUR FOAM: Our foam is certified for the highest quality. Our foam features are Density:1.8 Compression:44 ILD, with a 100% recovery rate durability. Our foam is great for revitalizing your worn-out chairs, sofas, cushions, and other high-density replacement foam. Our foam is uniquely formulated to provide the perfect balance of support, comfort, and durability. High density firm foam is designed for heavy traffic and high use applications. Our firm foam is designed to last from 7-12 years.
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE: Foamrush uses only the highest quality foam and you can use them for projects in your home. All of our foam is certified as being safe, non-toxic, and better your health and the environment when compared to non-certified or non-regulated foam. We also provide foam products that are cut-to-order to ensure the best quality for our users. OUR FOAM IS PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA - SOLD & SHIPPED EXCLUSIVELY BY FOAMRUSH IN LOS ANGELES, CA.
- USE FOR A VARIETY OF PROJECTS: Foam is not just for sofas and chairs! It can be customized to repair worn down chairs, create custom cushions for patio chairs and benches, ottomans, stools, headboards, RVs, boat seats, car seats, golf cart seats, workout benches, cots, window seats, restore vintage furniture, foam mattress toppers and carrying cases for delicate glass or ceramic items, packing foam for delicate glass or ceramic items, accent pillows and many other crafts and DIY projects.
- EASY TO CUSTOMIZE: Our foam is easy to slice through with tools such as a sharp knife, serrated knife, electric knife, or electric hot wire foam cutter. You can trim the edges or stack layers for extra thickness to customize our foam in a way that perfectly meets your needs. Foam can also be glued together to create wider pieces or layered upon one another to create thicker cushions. Foamrush foam can be cut and customized to whatever size or shape you need.
- FOAM CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Open your package immediately. Please use caution and do not use a box cutter or anything sharp to open your shipping box as you may cut through and tear into the foam. Remove your foam from the shipping box and unroll it so that it may relax. Allow up to 3 to 4 days for the foam to fully expand to its original size as your foam has been rolled into a bundle and compressed for shipping. Please do not cut your foam until you have followed these product care instructions.
- Made In The United States
- Will Last 7 To 10 Years
- Ideal For Oval And Round Poker Tables, Furniture Cushions, Boat Cushions, Car Cushions And All Other Home And Commercial Upholstery Applications
- Product Height : 5.0"
- DURABLE HIGH DENSITY FOAM: Our firm high density foam is long lasting and ideal for furniture that gets a lot of wear and tear. With a density of 1.8 our foam is extra tough yet comfortable while still affordable. Our upholstery foams last 7-10 years
- CUSTOM CUTS: We custom cut every order so no matter what size you need to finish that project, we've got you covered. Make sure you measure twice, order once! Unsure about measuring or size? Simply contact us and we'll gladly answer any questions
- OPTIMUM COMFORT: With a compression rate of 44 pounds, density of 1.8, and a 100% recovery rate, our foam is ideal for a replacement chair cushion insert or stuffing for couch cushion as it maintains resilient support for lasting lounging comfort
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED: We only use high quality materials made without ozone depleting substances. No phthalates, mercury, lead, or other heavy metals; and low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. Compact packaging and free shipping on all orders
- COMPACT PACKAGING: Our cushion and upholstery foam is compactly packaged for easy transport. Open immediately to ensure the foam retains its original shape which should be fully expanded within 72 hours.
- HIGH DENSITY UPHOLSTERY FOAM: High density upholstery foam to restore, revitalize, and renew your household furniture and DIY projects
- USE FOR A VARIETY OF PROJECTS: Foam can be used to add cushion to sofas, chairs, ottomans, stools, headboards, RVs, boat seats, car seats, golf cart seats, workout benches, cots, window seats, and carrying cases for delicate glass or ceramic items
- EASY TO CUT AND CUSTOMIZE: Use a bread knife or electric knife to easily trim, cut, and shape upholstery foam. Foam can be stacked, or not, to fill all your home restoration needs. Please allow 24-48 hours
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE: Linenspa uses only the highest quality foam in our mattresses and now you can use the same foam for projects in your home. All foam is certified for the highest quality. Density: 1. 6 Compression: 32 ILD
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE PROFILE OPTIONS: Available in 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-inch profile options for all your comfort needs. Foam comes in a 24 x 72 inch rectangle but can be cut and customized to whatever size you need
- ✓ Made without ozone depleters mercury, lead, and other heavy metals formaldehyde phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- ✓ This product have a copyright, patent and trademark By mybecca inc ,Every Foam Sheet is Cut And Made Here In The USA and CertiPUR-US Certification Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
- ✓Uses : ideal for oval and round poker tables, furniture cushions, boat cushions, car cushions and foam , Good for mattresses, bedding support, and all other home and commercial upholstery applications Uses: ideal for oval and round poker tables, furniture cushions, boat cushions, car cushions, foam mattresses, bedding support It’s not just for sofas and chairs! Create custom cushions for patio benches, stools, RVs, boat seats, headboards, accent pillows etc.
- Professional Quailty / fire retardant Code :Ca 117 foam is easy to slice through with tools such as a bread knife or an electric knife. trim the edges, or stack layers for extra thickness to customize the foam perfectly for your needs.
- 100% recovery rate - Please allow 24-48 hours for the compressed foam to expand and return to its original size. The foam reacts and expands better to warmer temperatures. We recommend setting the foam next to a heater or using a hair dryer to help direct the heat to certain areas. We also recommend walking over the unexpanded parts of the foam, massaging it as this might help the foam open and expand.
Enjoy Choosing Your Sofa Cushion Foam
Among the many types, the best type of foam to use for your sofa cushions is high-density polyurethane foam.
But before you choose the best foam for your sofa cushion, you must also consider your needs.
The part of the sofa where you want to install the new foam is also worth considering.
For instance, for the back cushion, a softer material is always better, while for the sitting cushion, you can do well with the contrary.
Last update on 2021-08-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API