The sofa is one of the most commonly used pieces of furniture in most homes.
Therefore, sofas with cheap cushions often cause your sofa to lose its shape.
The length of time it takes for this to happen usually depends on how often you sit on the sofa.
Most of the time, it happens within a year. When this happens, it does not mean that you have to get a new sofa.
You can always replace the foam in the cushions.
I find this to be a cost-effective DIY project that can make your sofa look good as new.
What is the best foam to use for sofa cushions?
The market is packed with a wide range of foam options.Among the many types, the best type of foam to use for your sofa cushions is high-density polyurethane foam (see what’s the best foam for dining room chairs here).
This type is available in a wide range of weights and densities. It is the best type for this task because it offers superior support and comfort.
PU form is also long-lasting and can maintain its perfect state for up to six years or more.
Below is a guide on how you can choose the best sofa cushion;
Step 1: Consider the density rating of the cushion
In this market, density refers to the amount of material per cubic foot of foam. The density rating is usually the first two numbers in the general cushion rating.
A high-density cushion is the best type if you want your sofa cushion to last for a long time.
High-density foam can maintain their shape for several years. High-density foam is an ideal choice for a seating cushion.
However, I would not recommend it for the back cushions because it is usually hard.
Step 2: Consider the compression rating
The last two digits in the rating of a cushion are referred to as the compression rating.
Compression refers to how the cushion compresses under someone’s weight. A high-compression foam is always an ideal choice.
This type usually feels firmer and has more hold. This means that you have to apply more weight for it to sink.
On the other hand, a cushion foam with a low compression rate usually adheres to your body’s shape.
Step 3: consider the softness of the foam
In this case, I would recommend the open-cell foam. It is the softest because it allows air to move through it easily.
This allows the foam to compress more efficiently.
This is because when you sit down, the air within the foam is expelled, allowing it to conform to the shape of your body.
These open-cell foams also rebound better as the air flows into the open cells again effortlessly. They also offer a better cooling effect.
- ORIGINAL SAGSAWAY MAKES YOUR FURNITURE LOOK AND FEEL LIKE NEW. Fix those uncomfortable ugly sags in your sofa and restore its beauty. Cushion inserts are the ultimate sagging seat saving repair tool
- SIMPLE TO USE, JUST INSERT INSIDE ZIPPERED CUSHION. Before you order watch our video for a tutorial on how to properly insert SagsAway inside your zippered cushion cover. Never place under the cushion
- CUSTOMIZABLE FOR YOUR EXACT COMFORT NEEDS. No two cushions sag the same on any couch. One seat may need more padding than the next. SagsAway inserts come in two thicknesses and can be cut to any size
- SAVE MONEY, MAXIMIZE THE LIFE OF YOUR SOFA. Replacing cushion cores is costly. SagsAway compresses the foam, not down cushions, restoring thickness and comfort for a fraction of the cost to replace
- MADE IN THE USA! We proudly use labor and military grade materials from the United States. 1 DIY repair kit restores 1 cushion. Search SagsAway on Amazon to find our saggy mattress and recliner fixers
- HIGH DENSITY UPHOLSTERY FOAM: High density upholstery foam to restore, revitalize, and renew your household furniture and DIY projects
- USE FOR A VARIETY OF PROJECTS: Foam can be used to add cushion to sofas, chairs, ottomans, stools, headboards, RVs, boat seats, car seats, golf cart seats, workout benches, cots, window seats, and carrying cases for delicate glass or ceramic items
- EASY TO CUT AND CUSTOMIZE: Use a bread knife or electric knife to easily trim, cut, and shape upholstery foam. Foam can be stacked, or not, to fill all your home restoration needs. Please allow 24-48 hours
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE: Linenspa uses only the highest quality foam in our mattresses and now you can use the same foam for projects in your home. All foam is certified for the highest quality. Density: 1. 6 Compression: 32 ILD
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE PROFILE OPTIONS: Available in 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6-inch profile options for all your comfort needs. Foam comes in a 24 x 72 inch rectangle but can be cut and customized to whatever size you need
- Material: 55lbs great memory foam, stronger than other foam in the market. Soft but has extra firm to support your pressure, durable, and easy to let your furniture brand new.
- CERTIFICATION: CHUN YI's foam cushion has CertiPUR-US certified materials, which offers you a great comfortable seating experience. Help you enjoy your life more.
- Function: This foam has so many usages in daily life, not only fits for sofa and chairs. It also can be used as on benches, bedding headboards, car seats, camping mattress and so on.
- SIZE: Chair Cushion Foam is "2-5" in height, "22-24" in width, and "18-72" in length, each package has 1or 2 pieces. Please check the size and number of pieces carefully before purchasing. This foam can be cut as you like. Using knives or scissors to cut the shape you like.Very fit for DIY lovers.
- Tips: The cushion foam is packed in compression. After receiving the product, please open the package and unfold it for at least 24 hours. Use it after the foam has fully rebounded to its original size.
- HIGH DENSITY UPHOLSTERY FOAM: High density upholstery foam renew your household furniture and DIY projects
- Uses : Ideal for oval and round poker tables, furniture cushions, boat cushions, car cushions, foam mattresses and bedding support
- Every Foam Sheet is Cut And Made Here In The USA !
- Perfect for a variety of home and craft projects
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE - Whether you are replacing the worn out padding on a sofa, the sagging seat cushion on a chair, or just need an extra sleeping pad around the house, use the foam the pros use. We have been selling our foam to professional furniture and bed makers for 34 years, and now it's available to you
- LONG LASTING - This 1.85 lb. high density foam will last 7-10 years, and with a 36 lb. ILD compression rating it has the perfect amount of firmness for optimal comfort and support
- ECO-FRIENDLY - Our foam is certified by CertiPUR-US meaning that it meets rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability. It is also made without any ozone depleters such as PBDEs, TDCPP, or TCEP, and is MADE IN THE USA
- EXTRA LONG SHEET - We cut our foam 82" long making it long enough to fit most sofas and beds.
- 5" THICK - Our 5" foam is ideal for projects such as cushion replacements, seat replacements, sleeping pads, and anything else where a soft surface is preferred
Enjoy Choosing Your Sofa Cushion Foam
Among the many types, the best type of foam to use for your sofa cushions is high-density polyurethane foam.
But before you choose the best foam for your sofa cushion, you must also consider your needs.
The part of the sofa where you want to install the new foam is also worth considering.
For instance, for the back cushion, a softer material is always better, while for the sitting cushion, you can do well with the contrary.
Last update on 2021-08-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API