DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
The sofa is one of the most commonly used pieces of furniture in most homes.
Therefore, sofas with cheap cushions often cause your sofa to lose its shape.
The length of time it takes for this to happen usually depends on how often you sit on the sofa.
Most of the time, it happens within a year. When this happens, it does not mean that you have to get a new sofa.
You can always replace the foam in the cushions.
I find this to be a cost-effective DIY project that can make your sofa look good as new.
What is the best foam to use for sofa cushions?
The market is packed with a wide range of foam options.
Among the many types, the best type of foam to use for your sofa cushions is high-density polyurethane foam (see what’s the best foam for dining room chairs here).
This type is available in a wide range of weights and densities. It is the best type for this task because it offers superior support and comfort.
PU form is also long-lasting and can maintain its perfect state for up to six years or more.
Below is a guide on how you can choose the best sofa cushion;
Step 1: Consider the density rating of the cushion
In this market, density refers to the amount of material per cubic foot of foam. The density rating is usually the first two numbers in the general cushion rating.
A high-density cushion is the best type if you want your sofa cushion to last for a long time.
High-density foam can maintain their shape for several years. High-density foam is an ideal choice for a seating cushion.
However, I would not recommend it for the back cushions because it is usually hard.
Step 2: Consider the compression rating
The last two digits in the rating of a cushion are referred to as the compression rating.
Compression refers to how the cushion compresses under someone’s weight. A high-compression foam is always an ideal choice.
This type usually feels firmer and has more hold. This means that you have to apply more weight for it to sink.
On the other hand, a cushion foam with a low compression rate usually adheres to your body’s shape.
Step 3: consider the softness of the foam
In this case, I would recommend the open-cell foam. It is the softest because it allows air to move through it easily.
This allows the foam to compress more efficiently.
This is because when you sit down, the air within the foam is expelled, allowing it to conform to the shape of your body.
These open-cell foams also rebound better as the air flows into the open cells again effortlessly. They also offer a better cooling effect.
- Made in USA: All of our products are proudly made in the USA!
- Polyurethane foam, Good for Couch cushions, seat cushions, bench cushions, mattresses, bedding support, and all other home and commercial upholstery applications
- High Quality: Our firm high-density foam has a density of 1.8 and a compression rate of 44 pounds. Our foam will last for 7 to 10 years
- Custom Cut: Don’t see the size you need? Contact us and we will gladly create a custom cut for you! We offer a wide variety of upholstery foams and can cut it to almost any shape you desire!
- Measure Accurately: Please make sure you know what size you need before ordering. In order to know what size upholstery foam to purchase, measure the length, width, and height of your cover from seam to seam to ensure that you order the correct size. If you are having trouble figuring out what size you need, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist you!
- 100% recovery rate / fire retardant
- Size : 6x24x72
- Uses : ideal for oval and round poker tables, furniture cushions, boat cushions, car cushions, foam mattresses and bedding support
- Density : 1.8 , 44lb compression
- We also do custom cut foam
- HIGH QUALITY – Foamy Foam High Density Upholstery Foam is the best option for Seat Cushion Replacement, Couch Cushion Replacement, Bench Cushion Replacement, and variety of other upholstery projects.
- LONG LASTING – Foamy Foam High Density Upholstery Foam has a 1.8 Density and 44 ILD (Compression Rating); perfect amount of firmness for optimal comfort and support.
- YOUR DESIRED SIZE – We cut Foam in variety of sizes and shapes. If you did not find the size you need, contact us for a quote. We cut 1”-7” thick, 12”-48” wide, 12”-120” long. (some variations may not be available)
- YOU WILL RECEIVE One Piece of 6x24x24 Foam Foam High Density Upholstery Foam; Proudly Made in the USA
- APPLICATION: 6x24x24 is best for Seat Cushion, Couch Cushion, Pillow, and variety of other upholstery projects.
- Made in the USA
- Will last 7 to 10 years ( Depending on use )
- Density : 1.79 , 44lb compression
- Ideal for oval and round poker tables, furniture cushions, boat cushions, car cushions and all other home and commercial upholstery applications
Enjoy Choosing Your Sofa Cushion Foam
Among the many types, the best type of foam to use for your sofa cushions is high-density polyurethane foam.
But before you choose the best foam for your sofa cushion, you must also consider your needs.
The part of the sofa where you want to install the new foam is also worth considering.
For instance, for the back cushion, a softer material is always better, while for the sitting cushion, you can do well with the contrary.
Last update on 2023-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API