Baseboards collect a lot of dirt, dings, scuff, and marks during their lifetime.
Depending on the amount of traffic and if you have pets and kids, they may require a touch-up every two to four years.
With the variety of paints for baseboard available on the market, finding the best paint can be difficult.
This is why I’ve created a list of the top three best paints for baseboards below.
Let’s have a look at each of them…
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. BEHR Premium Plus Semi-Gloss Enamel
BEHR Premium Plus Semi-Gloss Enamel is my number one choice for any baseboard work.
This acrylic paint & primer from BEHR contains an antimicrobial agent that makes it a premium quality when it comes to protecting your finish from mold and mildew.
What’s more, it resists moisture, stains, and wear providing exceptional durability and a sleek appearance and can be nailed easily.
1. It is a semi-gloss enamel which gives it a smooth and clean look and its smooth surface makes it easy to clean.
2. The low odour formula makes it a baseboard paint (see best baseboard paint brushes) as well as a primer.
3. It is stain and water-resistant.
• Provides a durable finish
• Resists dirt and grime
• Seals both uncoated and previously painted surfaces
• Has a sleek, radiant sheen
• Is washable
• Some colours require additional coats for complete hide.
• Darker colours need extra dry time between coats
2. VALSPAR Corporation Professional Interior Latex Semi-Gloss
With a generous price tag, VALSPAR interior latex semi-gloss paint delivers a rich, shiny, and high-quality interior with good stain resistance.
Its semi-gloss sheen allows you to beautify your space without spillage or causing a mess.
Worth mentioning is that it has 100% acrylic formula that protects from everyday marks, scuffs, and wear.
1. Sleek, radiant sheen with mold- and mildew-resistant finish
2. Washable – everyday stains wash off with ease.
3. Is certified for ultra-low emissions
4. The built-in primer provides better coverage in little time
5. 100% acrylic latex
• Smooth, washable finish
• Brilliant, shiny appearance
• Its soft, velvety appearance resists dirt and grime
• Is washable
• Superior Rust Protection
• Is not suitable for glass and metal surfaces
3. Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel Paint
One of the oldest and most popular interior paint brands, Rust-Oleum’s protective enamel paint is another favourite of mine.
The paint offers exceptional durability and does a good job of resisting stains and mildew.
You’ll also enjoy the benefits of a low odour paint that comes at a good value.
1. The oil-based solution of this paint makes it highly corrosion-resistant.
2. Is superior in longevity, durability, and coverage.
3. Advanced scrubbability makes it easy to maintain the finish and colour.
4. You can expect zero abrasion and chipping when using the paint.
• Beautiful finish with long-lasting color
• Offers superior coverage
• Is durable
• Bonds well with different types of surfaces
• Not ideal for Over Bare Galvanized Metal or Surfaces
- Use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- Water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- Gloss finish provides a fresh new look for surfaces, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- Prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
- PAINT + PRIMER: KILZ TRIBUTE is a low VOC, 100% acrylic advanced technology paint and primer in one formulated for superior hide and coverage with exceptional durability. Paint and primer covers light-medium stains and light-dark color changes.
- ADVANCED FORMULA: This is our most technologically-advanced acrylic product which combines paint and primer properties with exceptional stainblocking performances. This remarkable formula can be scrubbed clean safely. GREENGUARD Certified: low emissions of VOCs
- MULTIPLE SURFACES: KILZ interior paint makes a great wall paint or cabinet paint for many home improvement needs. Use on properly prepared coated or uncoated wood, drywall, masonry and cured plaster. Surfaces should be clean and free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint. Mix well before using.
- SUPERIOR COVERAGE: KILZ TRIBUTE interior satin paint and primer covers up to 400 sq. ft. per gallon depending on surface texture, porostiy, and application method. If desired, recoat after 2 hours. We offer an 8 oz sample size for color choosing convenience. Use with high-quality brushes or paint rollers.
- KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years and leverage this experience in every gallon of KILZ Paint. Named Paint Brand of the Year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings. Lifetime Limited Warranty (see label for details).
- Weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior/interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, masonry and more
- Oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- Dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and covers up to 25 sq. ft.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- Satin finish offers a low-sheen look
- Professional, Heavy Duty, Paint cutting tool - Contractors & Do it yourself!
- Lasts for years, high grade long lasting materials, versatile 100's of uses - Cutting, Edging, Funnel, Dust Pan, Spray Guard, Texture Removal, Mud Pan & More.
- Actually eliminates the need for taping trim, baseboard, floors & plastic prep work! Makes painting tasks go up to 60% faster!
- Used by professionals around the USA! 100% PATENTED! Made from very strong, thick gauge aluminum that is easy to clean and does not bend or flex like other "Generic" paint guards.
- Each Bucket Edge locks together so you can cover your entire wall! 40'' long x 12'' wide. Can work for all trim types from standard baseboard all the way up to 12'' decorative molding.
- Paint Brush Set Includes 1 Ea of 1" Flat, 1-1/2" Angle, 2" Stubby Angle, 2" Flat & 2-1/2" Angle
- Paint Brushes For Interior Or Exterior Projects. Use Angle Sash Paint Brush For Cutting Crisp Lines.
- Professional Results On Walls, Trim, Cabinets, Doors, Fences, Decks, Touch Ups, Arts And Crafts.
- Premium Quality Paint Brushes At A Cheap Price! No Cardboard Covers Come With This Set.
- The SRT filament blend holds more paint to save time, less streaks & premium finish on walls & trim.
So what’s the best paint for baseboards?
My top recommendation is BEHR Premium Plus Semi-Gloss Enamel.
However any of the three paints reviewed above are some of the best paints for baseboards you can get on the market.
Not only do they offer a smooth and high gloss finish to your baseboards, but they are also easy to clean and are mildew-resistant.
Last update on 2023-03-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API