As a woodworker, one of the primary tools you should use includes a sander, which comes in handy for furniture stripping.
With sanders you will get rid of the bumps and scratches on the wood making it smooth and uniform.
Some people may be interested in learning more about what furniture refinishing entails.
Furniture refinishing is comprehensive and complicated.
The process is also thorough.
The furniture refinishing process entails stripping the furniture piece by piece from the current finish.
After that, you’ll apply the new finish.
Sander will play a key role in removing the current finishing on the furniture.
At the start of the process, the woodworker will use the sander to get rid of the existing finish through sanding.
In this article, I will give you an insight into three of the best sanders meant for furniture stripping.
We’ll also look into some of the things you need to consider as you choose a sander for each furniture project and their pros and cons as well.
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. DEWALT Palm Sander
The sander has a compact shape, and it is suitable for furniture stripping (see also the best sander for furniture refinishing).
It is also easy to control and use.
The sander will fit well into your hand, and you’ll feel comfortable as you use it.
There is no worry about whether the sander will spin too fast or whether it will be too powerful.
The sander has a capacity of 120 volts. It can easily skim off the layers present on the furniture.
The grit is of medium level, and it is suitable for furniture that already has paint on top.
• Includes a carry bag that makes it easy to move the sander around.
• The 120 volts capacity ensures the sander can work well.
• The sander is compact and small.
• The sander has more advanced features, which means it costs more money.
2. Black + Decker Mouse Detail Sander
Black + Decker is a brand that ensures you get quality products, including sanders.
Even when you refinish the furniture regularly, you’ll not want to spend lots of money on some of these tools.
You’ll get quality and affordable products from Black + Decker.
The sander is compact and small. It can also be used to strip different types of furniture.
There is no need to purchase a sander that is not of the right size.
• The brand is reliable and well known.
• It’s compact.
• The plate is pointed, and it can get into small spaces.
• It’s powerful, so it can be used to handle different projects.
• The brand is famous, and the price tag is hefty.
3. DEWALT Random Orbit Sander
The sander has a coarse grit and a circular plate. It is suitable for working on heavy-duty furniture.
This sander is suitable for huge pieces of work; the major difference is the price.
If you’re working with difficult and heavy wood, you should opt for this sander.
The tool is powerful, and it is suited to broken furniture.
If you need to take off some paint as well, the sander is quite powerful and it will serve your needs perfectly.
• Extra dust protection
• Suitable for stubborn pieces
• It comes with a carry bag
• The sander is fairly standard, and it has extra features. It also has a premium price tag
- COMPACT DESIGN – Allows access to cramped corners and tight spaces.
- POWERFUL MOTOR – 1.2 Amp motor supplies 16,000 orbits per minute for fast and thorough material removal.
- DETAIL FINGER ATTACHMENT – Interchangeable attachment allows access to hard-to-reach spots.
- DUST COLLECTION CANISTER – High-performance system with micro-filtration keeps your worksurface clean with less sawdust and debris.
- 3-POSITION GRIP – For added versatility and control. POWERFUL MOTOR – 1.2 Amp motor supplies 16, orbits per minute for fast and thorough material removal.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE ORBIT SANDER - 2.0 Amp corded electric random orbit sander for a swirl-free finish
- HIGH EFFICIENCY - Delivers 12000 OPM (orbits per minute) to quickly sand material
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMPACT - Fits in tight spaces for more versatile sanding
- DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM - Keep your workspace free of dust and debris with a built-in dust collection bag
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE - Work comfortably and with less fatigue thanks to the comfort grip handle
- Effective Sanding Tool: these sanding sticks for plastic models can polish finely, ideal for removing rust, corrosion, glue and other dirt, achieve your sanding or buffing purposes
- Easy to Use: these sanding twigs have wooden handles, more convenient for sanding, buffing and polishing, and the small pointed design can reach to detail areas or narrow spaces where it is hard to polish
- Multiple Purposes: these fine detailing sanding sticks are widely applied for lots of sanding work, very suitable for wood artworks, handwork, jewelry and other accessories
- Abundant Quantity: there are 100 pieces of craft sanding sticks in the package, which are sufficient to meet your various uses and replacements, and you can also share them with friends and family who love sanding
- Coarse Sanding Kit: this abrasive cleaning stick is 280 grit, which is ideal for sanding rough areas, such as woodwork, plastic models and so on
- REMOVES UP TO 15+ LAYERS OF PAINTS & COATINGS - Strips Acrylic, Latex, Oil, and Water-Based Paints, Varnishes, Stains, and Coatings in usually a Single Application!
- EFFECTIVE ON ALMOST EVERY SURFACE - Wood, Brick, Stone, Metal, Marble, Terra Cotta, Granite, Terrazzo, Concrete, Plaster, Cement, Copper, Tin, Enamel, Slate, Cast Iron, and More
- EASY TO USE WITHOUT CAUSTIC CHEMICALS - Contains NO Methylene Chloride or NMP. Apply to surface and check periodically for up to 24 hrs. Remove with scrapper or pressure washer. No fuss, no muss!
- THE "DO-IT-YOURSELF" CHOICE - Powerful enough for painting contractors but user-friendly for all your DIY home projects like furniture and cabinets. That's why we say, "Do it yourself, with Dumond!"
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA with globally sourced, high-quality ingredients in our US facility. Smart ‘n Easy brand products are tried and trusted by DIYers and Professionals. Smart ‘n Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- 3.0-amp motor of the orbital sander spins the pad at 12,000 OPM
- Shorter height of the hand sander allows the user to get closer to work piece
- Separate counterweight design reduces vibration for improved comfort of the electric sander
- Rubber over-mold in all of the critical areas of the sander
- Improved dust-sealed switch to protect against dust ingestion for longer switch life
What’s The Best Sander For Stripping Furniture?
The 3 best sanders for furniture stripping are…
- Dewalt Palm Sander
- Black + Decker Mouse Detail Sander
- DEWALT Random Orbit Sander
If I had to choose one for my personal favourite it would be the Black + Decker Mouse Detail Sander because it’s a quality brand that’s stood the test of time and will likely be around forever.
Last update on 2023-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API