Can cricut cut acrylic? It depends on a few different things...
There are different types of acrylic materials that you can get, and only certain ones will work in combination with your Cricut.
I will explain more about the different types of acrylic that you can cut below...
Do I Have The Correct Cricut Cutting Machine For Cutting Acrylic?
If you’ve just bought a Cricut cutting machine, or you are thinking about getting one, you might be wondering about all the different tools and features that it has to offer.
These smart cutting machines are used for a variety of different purposes, mainly crafting, and they are really handy for all of your cutting needs.
They help to save you so much time, as it would take a lot longer to cut everything that you needed to by hand, especially if you are running a business that requires this.
A Cricut is an essential tool for many crafters and business owners that wouldn’t have been able to do what they love without one.
They are able to cut through a variety of different materials, depending on the specific Cricut that you choose, and there are lots of different cutting settings to utilize.
Types of Acrylic for Cricut
There are typically lots of questions surrounding the different types of acrylic that you can use in combination with your Cricut, and we aim to answer them all in this section.
In terms of the type of acrylic that you can use for cutting with the Cricut, you will need to bear in mind the thickness of the acrylic that you are using.
Lots of different experiments have been taking place to find out which types of acrylic work the best with these two machines, and the results are different from both of them.
These three types were the ones that the Cricut was able to cut all of the way through, but each machine will work better with certain types.
The majority of tests found that the maximum thickness that the Cricut Maker was able to handle was the 0.020mm acrylic.
This means that you will likely only be able to use a thickness of this size or lower.
However, the Cricut Air 2 was able to cut through acrylic materials that were up to 1mm in thickness, and it was able to cut all the way through, but just about.
- [CREATE MORE] The Circuit Explore Air 2 is your personal DIY cutting machine. It will flawlessly cut over 100 plus different types of materials including premium vinyl, iron on and htv vinyl, cardstock, faux leather, adhesive foils, specialty paper, poster board and more
- [ENDLESS PROJECT POSSIBILITIES] The Circuit Explore Air 2 makes it so easy to create a wide arrange of DIY projects. Make custom stickers, personalized home decor, home-made gifts and party favors, unique greeting cards, custom designed apparel, and more
- [INCLUDED WITH MACHINE] Each machine includes a Circuit Premium Fine Point Blade and Housing, a Circuit 12 inch x12 inch Light Grip Adhesive Cutting Mat (perfect for vinyl and htv projects), a Circuit Black Fine Point Pen, access to Circuit's design software Design Space, and a 2 week free trial to Circuit Access
- [DESIGN FOR FREE] Upload or create and design your own images for free from your computer, tablet or mobile phone using Circuit's free design software design space. Enhance your design space experience by subscribing to Circuit Access, Circuit's vast library of over 100,000 images, fonts, and make it now projects and designs
- [BECOME A PART OF A COMMUNITY] We know it can be intimidating to start creating your first DIY projects, so don’t do it alone. When you buy a Circuit you become part of a close-knit community of crafters, makers and DIYers. There are dozens of groups across all social media platforms that allow our members to share tips, ask for help and share their projects and inspiration with an amazing community
- [BUNDLE INCLUDES 26 12X12 SHEETS OF VINYL] This Cricut Maker Bundle includes a Premium Permanent 12"x12" Basics Sampler (Parchment, Black, White, Coffee, Gold, Silver) and a Premium Removable 12"x12" Vinyl Value Pack - Maritime (5 White, 5 Gold, 5 Cardinal Red, 5 Navy Blue) in addtion to the Cricut Maker Machine, Rotary Blade + Housing, Fine Point Pen - Black, Fabric Grip Mat 12x12, Lightgrip Mat 12x12, Welcome Book, USB Cable, Power Adapter, Free Trial Membership to Cricut Access (for new subscribers), 50 Free Ready-To-Make Projects, and Small Practice Materials
- [ENDLESS PROJECT POSSIBILITIES] Expandable suite of tools. With its powerful blades, pens, and scoring tool, Cricut Maker grows with you as you learn each new craft
- [NEW ROTARY BLADE FOR FABRICS] With its gliding, rolling action, this blade cuts through virtually any fabric quickly and accurately – without backing material
- [ACCESS TO HUNDREDS OF DIGITAL SEWING PROJECTS] Simplifies sewing and quilting projects. Choose from hundreds of digital sewing patterns, and Cricut Maker cuts and marks all the pieces – you just sew them together
- [DESIGN FOR FREE] Simple design apps. Lay out your project on your mobile device or computer easily and conveniently, whether you’re a beginner or a pro. You can always upload and use your own images and fonts for free, in a variety of standard file formats
- [CREATE FASTER] Cricut Maker 3 gives you pro-level cutting up to 2X faster compared to the Original Cricut Maker with 10X the cutting force compared to Cricut Explore Air 2. The Cricut Maker 3 cuts 300+ materials and is compatible with 13 tools (sold separately) for all your cutting, scoring, and embellishing projects!
- [SMART MATERIAL COMPATIBLE] The Cricut Maker 3 is compatible with all new Cricut Smart Materials! Cricut Smart Paper, Cricut Smart Vinyl, and Cricut Smart HTV Iron On are perfect for super-long, super-precise cuts up to 12ft without a machine mat.
- [VERSATILITY & PERFORMANCE] With 10X more cutting power than Cricut Explore-family machines and ability to work with Rotary Blade, Knife Blade, Scoring Wheels, Foil Transfer Tool, and additional tools available for creating decorateive effects like engraving, debossing and more, the Cricut Maker 3 has the versatility and performance to take your creativity to the ultimate level!
- [GETTING STARTED] The Cricut Maker 3 comes with Cricut Maker 3 Machine, Premium Fine Point Blade+Housing, Welcome Card, USB Cable, Power Adapter, Free trial subscription to Cricut Access (for new subscribers), 100 ready to make projects online, and material for a practice cut on your brand new machine! Combine this with the expanded suite of Cricut Materials and Cricut Tools and Accessories (sold separately) and you have everything you need to take your creativity to the ultimate level!
- [CREATE FASTER] With the Cricut Explore 3 you will see your creativity skyrocket with our latest DIY dream machine. With the all-new Cricut Explore 3, you can cut, draw, score, and more with jaw-dropping speed and precision. It's up to 2X faster than its predecessor, so you can bust out everything from custom iron-ons to big-time banners in record time!
- [SMART MATERIAL COMPATIBLE] The Cricut Explore 3 is compatible with all new Cricut Smart Materials! Cricut Smart Paper, Cricut Smart Vinyl, and Cricut Smart HTV Iron On are perfect for super-long, super-precise cuts up to 12ft without a machine mat.
- [DIY ADVENTURES] Cricut Explore 3 works with 6 different tools for cutting and embellishing 100+ materials, including cardstock, vinyl, iron-on, glitter paper, cork, and bonded fabric (sold separately). Ideal for everything from everyday craft projects to big-time DIY adventures.
- [GETTING STARTED] The Cricut Explore 3 machine comes with a Cricut Explore 3 Machine, Premium Fine-Point Blade+Housing, Welcome Card, USB Cable, Power Adapter, Free trial subscription to Cricut Access (for new subscribers), 100 ready-to make projects online, and material for practice. Combine this with the expanded suite of Cricut Materials and Cricut Tools and Accessories (sold separately) and you have everything you need to take your creativity to the ultimate level!
- 6" x 7" (15 cm x 17. 5 cm) size ideal for smaller projects like baby clothes, accessories, hats, and more
- Professional iron-on results in 60 seconds or less
- Advanced heat plate design with ceramic-coated surface
- Precise temperature control up to 400℉ (205 C)
- Easy to learn, simple to use
What is the Best Cricut Machine for Cutting Through Acrylic?
Due to the fact that it can cut through thicker acrylic materials, the Cricut Air 2 is the best machine to use for cutting through the acrylic.
So, if you are looking for the best possible results and more flexibility in terms of the materials used, you might want to consider the Cricut Air 2.
How to Prepare and Cut Acrylic Using the Cricut
Make sure that you are sticking to the rules when it comes to the maximum thickness that you can use, as otherwise, you could end up damaging your machine.
It doesn’t really matter too much which type of acrylic that you are using, and you can purchase it from a variety of different places.
As long as they are the correct thickness, you are free to choose the type and color of the acrylic sheets yourself.
Acrylic sheets can range in price from anywhere between relatively cheap and really expensive, but this will depend on the quality and thickness of the material.
If you can’t find a store near you that sells acrylic, you will be able to get your hands on some online.
Before you cut your acrylic to the size and shape that you want, you should do any engravings first. It is much easier to keep the acrylic in place before you cut it.
If you were planning on including any designs or text, now is the time to add them. It might be worth testing on a test piece of acrylic, to make sure that everything is working as it should, and you don’t ruin your design.
In terms of the mat that you will need to use, you should use the strong grip type of mat, as this is much thicker and stickier, and it will help to keep your project in place during use.
The last thing you want is for your project to move around on the mat and mess up the cutting process, as this will ruin your work.
The last thing that you need to do for the preparation of this project is to make sure that your project is secure and in the correct position on the mat, then slide your project into the Cricut.
As soon as you are ready to go, you will need to make sure that the cut settings are correct.
You will need to use the basswood setting on your Cricut, as there is no setting that is specifically designed for use with acrylic.
You can have a go and try some different settings, but this one is known to work the best.
Last update on 2021-06-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API