Can Lysol Kill Mold? (The Jury Is Out On This One!)

Can Lysol kill mold? Because if you have mold in your house you want rid of it fast!

Why? Mold can make you sick by causing health issues like allergies, sinus problems, and respiratory issues such as asthma so it needs dealt with ASAP.

So, does Lysol have the ability to kill mold and what kinds of mold can it kill?

Let’s take a look and find out if it is truly a mold-destroying superhero...

DISCLOSURE: is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.

Can Lysol Kill Mold?

So can Lysol kill mold? 

As Lysol is a disinfectant agent that eliminates microorganisms this means it can kill nearly 100% of viruses or bacteria on any hard or soft surface, including floors, walls, sinks, and toilets. However that's not specifically mold...

It is generally given a very positive review in its ability to kill mold and mildew. This is mainly due to its very strong ingredients and properties.

It can penetrate surfaces, which makes it able to tackle all the mold so that regrowth isn’t an option. 

However, many people do state that mold has regrown after use, in various time frames, this is because Lysol is only really capable of preventing any mold or mildew regrowth for up to a week.

So this is very different from it killing mold, it is more of a substance that delays regrowth. 

To completely rid your environment of mold you must completely remove the moldy item, this could be wallpaper, wood, insulation, and so on in your house.

This means that there is nothing that can physically and literally kill mold permanently, no magic spray will make it go away. 

A hand holding a can of Lysol about to be used on mold

What Is Lysol Made Of?

Lysol, specifically the mold and mildew remover uses bleach, this is used in the form of Sodium Hypochlorite to ‘remove’ the mold and mildew.

But, bleach doesn’t kill or remove mold and the bleach content also makes it very toxic.

Not only this but it also has contents that are also damaging with it having a low rating due to its health and safety concerning content. 

It is scored low due to it being corrosive having ingredients that have the potential for acute aquatic toxicity, respiratory effects, and nervous system effects.

When used this product should be used with safety precautions, including gloves and possibly a protective mask well to protect you from breathing it in. 

For many, this product isn’t worth it, it doesn’t kill the mold off and only turns it white, and it has so many toxic factors. 

The other option is Lysol disinfectant spray, this product has many ingredients and some are rumored to ‘kill’ mold.

It includes Boric Acid which is known to kill mold spores, but this must be combined with hydrogen peroxide, and there is none in this spray. 

This should not be used on dry mold. It also contains ammonia, which can kill mold spores but is very toxic in this mixture. 

When it comes to toxicity vs effectiveness, it doesn’t add up as being worth it for either of these products. 

Lysol Vs Black Mold

Black mold is the name for the bacteria that grow in your home, especially in poorly ventilated and damp areas.

It can be very dangerous to residents and creates a menagerie of health problems. 

Black Mold Causes

Black mold is caused by damp and poorly ventilated areas, this is common in bathrooms, basements, garages, and very old homes. It can grow on almost anything.

It grows in moist conditions with low light and thrives best in temperatures between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit, which is also the same temperature range that we prefer to live in. 

Dangers of Black Mold

Mold spores can enter the body through the nose, mouth, skin, and almost anywhere else. This bacteria increases the risk of long and short-term health problems.

It can lead to problems such as asthma, skin rashes, runny nose, and sneezing as well as property damage as well, include structural weakness. 

Lysol Vs Mold Spores 

While Lysol can assist in deterring mold, it is worth knowing that it is impossible to remove mold from any area in which the mold has begun to decay the item as the mold spores have become embedded into it and you will not be able to remove them. 

How To Use Lysol To Kill Mold

To use Lysol for this purpose, spray it onto the mold until it is soaked and let it sit for 30 seconds then scrub the area to remove the molds grip on the surface, you want to wipe up the mold spore and the remaining Lysol with a clean close and rinse well with clean water and dry it completely (here's the best Water Free Dry Cleaning Solvent For Upholstery And Couches) .

Drying will discourage any regrowth, as it needs moist conditions to regrow. This is good motivation to wipe down your bathroom after every bath or shower. 


 For your safety when using Lysol wear: 

  • Goggles. 
  • Gloves. 
  • Mask/ respirator

Preventing Mold Growth in the First Place 

The best thing you can do to get rid of mold is to prevent it from growing in the first place, which obviously for some is too late.

Preventing mold is as simple as controlling the moisture content in your home, this can mean using an extractor fan in your bathroom, having a better ventilation system, and if you live in a humid climate, using a dehumidifier can be very useful too. 

Keeping moisture out of the air and surrounding area will stop mold growth and if it does grow, catch it quick to eliminate it before it sets it.