Concrete is a tough surface, and if you are planning to paint it or cover it with wallpaper, it will need to be sanded down beforehand.
Sanding enables the concrete to remain nice and smooth so that it is easier to paint and looks better overall.
However, sanding concrete is no easy task, especially if you are planning to do this manually.
While it is possible to do so, this may not always be the best solution and I'll discuss alternatives below too so read on...
Using Regular Sandpaper To Sand Concrete
As we mentioned in our introduction, it is entirely possible to sand concrete down with regular sandpaper. However, it is certainly not the best sandpaper or option to use.
While you will find some success with it, regular sandpaper wears down very quickly. Given this, you will find that you will be working your way through a packet of sandpaper fairly quickly.
Not only is this not great for your bank account, but this is not an environmentally friendly method either.
Regular sandpaper is fairly thin. While it is great to sand down smaller objects, using it to sand concrete is very time-consuming.
Even if you use a sanding tool, it will still take significantly longer in comparison to other products.
If regular sandpaper is the only item you have available, it can be used. But, be aware of the time and effort it will take to use.
The coarser the sandpaper you use is, the better it will sand concrete. When you think of how durable concrete is, the sandpaper you use will need to withstand this.
Using A Sander To Sand Concrete
If you are planning to sand down a concrete wall, slab, floor, or anything of significant size, we would recommend using a sander.
If you sand concrete manually this will take a very long time and can become uneven.
A sander is an investment, but an investment certainly worth making. It is much quicker than carrying out the task manually and helps to even out the surface better.
- 【COMBINED BELT & DISC SANDER】 - The bench belt sander is combined with a belt sander and a disc sander, making easy work of achieving a fine and smooth finish on component pieces. The belt sander features both horizontal and vertical sanding. The disc sanding tables can tilt 45 degrees.
- 【DURABLE STEEL CONSTRUCTION】 - The disc-and-belt sander is made of heavy-duty steel. It is durable and can be used for a long time. A strong base with rubberized pads provides extra stability, avoiding any heavy vibrations when you operate.
- 【EASY OPERATION & MOTOR 375W】 - This disc belt sander works well with a high-speed pure copper motor. This super-strong motor runs smoothly, and the energy consumption is low. Power: 375W. The safety switch is easy and safe to operate.
- 【CONSIDERABLE DETAILS】 - It is easy and quick for you to adjust and change the belt. The deluxe miter gauge makes your work more accurate. No-load speed for sanding disc: 1420/min. Belt size: 915×100 mm/36" x 4". Disc diameter: 150 mm/6".
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】 - This belt and disc sander can satisfy you and work great in grinding metals, wood, acrylic, and other materials. It is widely used in parts factories, building materials factories, etc., perfect for tool polishing.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE: No more strenuous reaching at tough angles! Pivot the swivel head up to 90 degrees and extend the handle length from 57.1" to 82". Fine-tune your sanding speed with the variable 5-speed motor - this sander helps you get the job done your way.
- DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM: This handy wall sander with vacuum attachment eliminates dust and other stray particles as you work. Simply sand away while the built-in vacuum dust collector does the rest. This power tool leaves the competition in the dust!
- SIMPLIFIED SANDING: When you pass it over any rough, rugged, or unsmooth surfaces, the soft sponging fitted directly into its wheel automatically adjusts to match the shape of that uneven area. It's surface-matching technology that smooths over those bumps in the road.
- LIGHTING THE WAY: Even after sundown, this machine always makes “light” work of sanding jobs. Simply switch on the 2 built-in LED light strips for convenient illumination - you'll never have to go searching for a flashlight or lantern. How's that for a bright idea?
- TOTAL PACKAGE: When even the integrated vacuum system can't conquer a mess, use the removable brush to sweep away all that excess dirt. Plus, the kit comes bundled with 12 sand paper discs, so you’ll have the tools needed to tackle any sanding task.
- 《Design for Wall/Ceiling Sanding》 - SMADRON drywall sander comes with aluminum extensible rod handle and multi-angled swivel head. Extend the handle to 5.9ft, you can easy access to high places for sanding. And the 9 inch head can be rotated at an angle of 90-180 degrees, keeping the head close to the wall and reducing arm and shoulder bends/twists. The best helper for your work.
- 《Strong Power&7 Variable Speed》 - 750W(6A) high power motor ensures an efficient and dynamic power for sanding drywall, ceilings, interior or exterior walls, paint coatings, adhesives, loose plaster and clearing floor residue. 7 variable speed is available from 800-1800RPM for a variety of applications, meeting the needs for both rapid surface removal or fine polishing.
- 《Humanized Design》 - Adjustable segment base plate of this sander machine provides the maximum flexibility for grinding to corners or perpendicular walls. No more troubles getting to tough angles. 360 degree circular LED light on the base pad offers a soft and bright light, ensuring efficient work even in a dim environment.
- 《Automatic Dust Collection》 - This electric wall sander with automatic vacuum system will collect most dust and other stray particles when sanding. Combined with 12 feet flexible hose and dust bag to ensure a perfect dust collection effect, providing an almost dust-free working environment.
- 《What You Will Get》 - 1 x Drywall sander, 6 x sanding discs, 1 x dust collection bag, 1 x hexagonal wrench, 1 x Dual-purpose Screw Driver, 2 x carbon brushes, 2 x vacuum hose connectors,1 x Carrying bag, 1 x manual and best customer service. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and we will reply within 24 hours.
Using Diamond Sandpaper To Sand Concrete
The best option by far in terms of sanding is diamond sandpaper, especially when it is paired with a sander. Diamond sandpaper is more commonly available in discs that you attach to your sander.
While it is called sandpaper, it merely resembles sandpaper. It is a lot thicker and durable, being made out of flexible sheet material. While it is not sandpaper, it works similarly.
Diamond sandpaper tends to work better than grinding discs, and the surface is created with diamonds.
Given this, it is not the cheapest option available, but worth considering if you need to sand a large concrete surface.
While it may cost more than sandpaper outright, in the long run, when you think about how much standard sandpaper you will need, it is worth investing in.
Using A Grinder To Sand Concrete
One of the best tools to even a concrete surface is a grinder. This will likely be a better option in comparison to regular sandpaper.
A grinder will work in a similar way to a sander, but they tend to be more powerful.
The grinder will grind down the concrete to ensure that it is nice and smooth. This is particularly helpful if you need to smooth a large area of concrete such as a floor or walls.
How To Sand Concrete With Sandpaper
As mentioned above, while you can sand concrete with regular sandpaper this will take a long time. Instead, we would recommend diamond or coarse grit sandpaper.
Particularly heavy-duty sandpaper, with a coarseness of 400 or higher would be the best option if you do not want to use diamond sandpaper.
In addition to choosing the correct sandpaper, a sander will also cut down the time it takes significantly.
First, you will need to attach the sandpaper to your sander and plug it into an AC socket.
We would recommend that you use the appropriate personal protective equipment such as goggles and potentially gloves to help prevent any injuries.
You will then want to place the sander onto the piece of concrete you will want to sand. As the sander is rotating, you will not need to move the sander very much, it will do the majority of the work for you.
You will need to place a good amount of pressure on the sander to ensure that it is wearing the concrete down.
We would recommend starting at one corner of the concrete and slowly working your way across it. You will want to regularly turn off the sander to check your progress.
After a short while, you will start to notice that the concrete is becoming a lot smoother.
You will need to repeat this until you have sanded down all of the concrete. If you notice any even parts, feel free to go over these until they are also smooth.
You will also need to keep an eye on the sandpaper you are using. As concrete is a tough material, it will wear down even the more coarse grit sandpaper. If the sandpaper has worn we recommend replacing it.
Using worn-out sandpaper will not be very successful and you will not achieve the results you desire.
We hope that you found this article informative. As you can see, while you can use regular sandpaper to sand concrete, it is not recommended.
Using regular sandpaper, even with a sander will take a significant amount of time and will use up a lot of sandpaper.
Instead, we would recommend using a grinder or diamond sandpaper. These are the quickest and most effective ways to sand concrete.
However, if you do want to use sandpaper, we would recommend thick sandpaper with a coarseness of at least 400 or higher.
This paired with a sander will still be time-consuming, but will be a lot more successful than using regular sandpaper.
Last update on 2021-05-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API