People sand for various reasons, it can be to smoothen edges, prepare for a paint job or a finishing touch on a project.
A variety of furniture, doors, cabinets and windows come with different designs.
The designs are further elaborated with grooves; it can be tricky to sand in grooves because they are hard to reach sometimes.
Since the spaces are narrow, it’s difficult for the traditional sandpaper to do the job.
But when you are a DIY enthusiast like I am, you will try to figure out a solution. I was faced with the same problem countless times through the many DIY tasks.
Ever since finding these tips, it has been easier to sand in grooves. That’s why I thought it best to share them with you to help with your future projects.
Step 1: Make A DIY Sander
Grooves are among the hard-to-reach places when you are trying to sand furniture and other equipment.
Before going too far, the first thing you need to do is try making a DIY sander at home.
Use a dull blade to cut the sandpaper and customize it to fit the groove you wish to tackle. You can use adhesive to stick it on a suitable tool and keep renewing it when it wears out.
With a quick sweep of your local market, you can find curved accessories. If not, you can use scrapes and find your way to the perfect sander for the grooves.
- Perfect solution for dry ,calloused and cracked heels which gives soft fancy feet with little effort
- Large yet light weight design allows you to work with ease and gives quick amazing smoothness
- Gives equally good results on both dry and wet foot surfaces that allows the user to work according to their own preference and satisfaction
- For best results, use it gently and according to the manufacturers directions
- Rikans fully owns its products and offers stress free, 30 days Money back guarantee.
Step 2: Use Contour Sanders or Steel Wool
If you are not aware of the contour sanders, now is the best time to know.
They are used for sanding deep profiles; they will help you with detailed DIY woodwork.
You can find them in the form of rubber pads, with concave and convex ends.
They also come in different sizes to fit different types of grooves. The other hack you can use is to use steel wool; it can be great for sanding congested surfaces.
Ensure you use fine steel wool to avoid devastating cuts on the wood. They are flexible and can get to the hard-to-reach areas.
- Pack contains 16 Family Rolls of Bounty Quick Size paper towels, equal to 40 Regular Rolls
- This pack contains 80 more sheets per pack which means 8 extra days worth of paper vs. Bounty Select A Size 16 Double Plus Rolls Estimated based on manufacturer data. Actual usage may vary by household
- Bounty, the Quicker Picker Upper
- 2X More Absorbent vs. leading ordinary brand
- Bounty's shortest sheets are now even more absorbent for a versatile clean (versus previous product)
Step 3: Modify the Sandpaper
The other way to sand in grooves is to modify your sandpapers. Use duct tape to help make the sanding paper more flexible.
Place the duct tape at the back of the sandpaper before cutting it into smaller stripes that fit the grooves you are working on. It will give you a firm and delicate sanding technique that works miracles.
With a combination of the two, the tricky places will easily be sand. This DIY trick will prove very handy when you want to smoothen surfaces for complex projects.
- Guaranteed to Stay Sealed* (*If your box does not stay sealed, 3M will refund the purchase price of this tape. Proof of purchase required. Contact: 1-800-3MHELPS)
- Provides excellent holding power for heavy-duty packaging and shipping
- Strong seal on all box types, including hard-to-stick-to 100% recycled boxes
- Strong, durable solvent-free hot melt adhesive seals and protects
- Release coating makes unwind easy. Resists slivering, splitting and tearing
Step 4: Use the Rotary Tool
Sometimes the details on furniture can be a mystery, but the complex designs are sometimes suitable.
The rotary sander has been used to reach grooves, especially on big furniture like cabinets.
They are narrow enough to get to the hidden places and give you a smooth surface to work with.
Do not be very aggressive with the tool; progress slowly and gradually to get the perfect finish. They are available in the market; you can buy and use them for future home projects.
- ★ Quick Change Drill Chuck - Come with 3 Jaw Universal Chuck applying better stability on your projects, allows you to quickly and easily change accessories on Rotary machine tool freely. GOXAWEE Multi Chuck accepts accessories from 1/64” to 1/8” shank, wider compatible than others. Ideal when the application requires numerous accessory changes.
- ★ 140pcs Attachment & Accessory - Flexible Shaft holds like a pen for your precise projects. Cover Shield provide better protection for cutting and grinding. Drill Locator helps for precision work on wood. Diamond Cutting Wheel is the best tips for glass, ceramic, floor tile etc. Versatile accessories include a pair of extra carbon brush, rescue you from searching new set and saving money.
- ★ Variable Speed & Compact - Variable speed dial is easy to use. The Variable Speed Adjustment Knob showing 5 Step Speeds from 8,000 to 30,000 RPM. By adjusting the speed you can make delicate engravings on wood, glass, metals, plastics, tile and other materials with control easily. Its ergonomic compact rotary tool design makes it handhold size, lightweight, not make the loud noise.
- ★ High-Performance Craft Tool - Perfect for sanding, polishing, cutting, shaping, drilling, deburring, grinding, cleaning, engraving, trimming etc, and enabling you to achieve different crafting work efficiently. Whether you are repairing home tasks or lighting your creations, this is really a worth value investment.
- ★ Amazing Gift for DIY Enthusiasts - Packed in a solid carrying case. It’s more solid, falling resistant and moisture-proof. Machine and accessories are well organized in, easy to place, light weight, portable for carrying. GOXAWEE Rotary Toolkit G4007 is great for the DIY craft and small family projects. It’s also the gift for the people who are keen on handmade stuff.
How to Sand In Grooves For Cabinet Doors and other Furniture
Employ the four tips mentioned above and sand in grooves. They will make your work easier, some of the tools you can easily make at home.
If you need to purchase some of them, go ahead because they will last longer.
Sanding grooves is not a one-time task; you may need to do it again in the future.
Last update on 2022-06-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API