DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
During my encounter with them when doing my DIY work, I faced the problem of differentiating which fiberboard is better than the other.
Because of that reason, I had to check on their difference to understand the best one for my specific tasks.
Due to the density, MDF (medium density fiberwood) is less costly and thicker than HDF (High density fiberwood) which is tougher and thinner.
Because of that reason, there are structured differently and have different and unique uses.
What is MDF
The compactness of the wood is the reason it is called MDF. It is less compact than HDF but denser than plywood.
When choosing the best one, MDF is quite durable compared to the other many vigorous choices out there.
If you need to have a smooth surface and budget-friendly, you need to choose MDF.
Uses of MDF
• Building interior cabinets
• Creating showpiece
• Building furniture
• Used as a flooring material
• On the roof as a second layer
• Giving resistance to fire
• Used in speaker exteriors
What Is HDF
it is named HDF because it is denser than both MDF and plywood. Associating HDF to MDF, it is more vigorous and thinner.
The process of manufacturing HDF is similar to that of medium density fiberboard, although it uses plywood.
The company that produces it also uses binders and wax in the process.
Uses of HDF
• Skin for doors
• Background for framing paintings
• Floor laminating
• Furniture that is used regularly
Difference between MDF and HDF
Between MDF and HDF, some common differences are noticeable. Here are some of the differences.
The major variance between MDF and HDF is the density or thickness. When you compare MDF to HDF, it is less tough.
• Production element
The remainders of softwood and hardwood are used in the production of the MDF, while HDF is generated from wood fibers picked from pulpwood wastage.
Due to the building structure, MDF and HDF have different prices. MDF is less costly as compared to HDF because HDF is thinner and sturdier.
HDF is still a reasonable option even though it is expensive because it can be solid as normal wood.
Depending on how you use the types of wood matter most, even though HDF is much durable than MDF.
The reason that makes HDF durable is that it is more strong and solider.
Depending on the condition of the surrounding, MDF is frailer than HDF. In an extremely moist climate, MDF suffers most.
- This beautiful set of sacred geometry symbols are great for some purposeful wall decor.
- The sacred geometry symbols that are included are the seed of life, the flower of life, the tree of life, the Metatron's cube the vesica piscis, the Merkabah or Merkabah, and the vesica piscis.
- Perfect for making crystal grids and using for your altar decor.
- The MDF/HDF is the best material if you wish to paint these.
- Wood Art Boards: Express your creativity with this set of 30 wooden boards for crafts for DIY projects, plaques, posters, wall decorations, personalized signs, and card marking
- Customizable: The MDF wood board sheets can be painted, stained, engraved, distressed, glued, and embellished with stamps and stencils for homemade gifts for friends and loved ones
- Multi-Purpose: Our chipboard sheets can also be used to protect valuable photos, artwork, or important documents while moving homes or offices
- Reliable Quality: These MDF boards for crafts are made from medium-density fiberboard material that can be easily cut with a utility knife and feature smooth edges
- Dimensions: Each particle board measures 6 x 8 inches with a thickness of 2mm; please note, these are for indoor use only and not recommended for use with a hammer and nails
- ①: Size: Diameter 8 1/4" (210mm). Arbor 5/8" with diamond washer, Kerf 2.8mm, 60T ATB Tooth.
- ②: Knock out diamond washer, please note the washer only can knock out from back side. if this side can't, try another.
- ③: High hardness Carbide is design to cut Hard Wood, Plywood, Laminate, MDF, HDF. also OK for soft wood, tooth can be regrind when it not sharp, But regrinding requires some skills, so if you don't have confidence in yourself, find an experienced person to help you
- ④: RIPPING and FRAMMING, Please wear protective equipment such as goggles, gloves, masks, etc.
- ⑤: Electroplate black anti-stick coating, can make blade much more smoothly and anti-rust
- NEW STOCK - LIGHT COLOR MDF
- Thickness: 3mm - Actual Size: 1/8" x 11-7/8" x 19-7/8"
- SHIPPING INCLUDED
- PREMIUM MDF PANELS
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: You can purchase 16pcs, 32pcs, 48PCS or 64pcs. The actual sizes are 11-7/8" x 19-7/8". Shipping is included in the prices.
- ①：Diameter 7-1/4" (185mm), 24T, ATB and Super Thin Kerf is 1/16" (1.6mm), Max Speed RPM 8500
- ②：Arbor 5/8" with diamond washer. Please twist out removal, not use hammrer knock out.
- ③：Laser cut Supper Thin blade body, anti-vibration and expansion slots reduce noise and vibration during operation
- ④：High hardness Carbide is design to cut Hard Wood, Plywood, Laminate, MDF, HDF also OK for soft wood
- ⑤：Teflon surface coating make the blade anti-sticker for you Very Sharp and Clear cut
HDF vs MDF, Which is Better?
If you are making kitchen cabinets and doors, HDF is further appropriate to use.
This is because HDF is hard as ordinary wood in strength; hence MDF is less substantial.
In terms of water absorption, both HDF and MDF are not water vulnerable. MDF is more susceptible to water because it swells when it engrosses water compared to HDF which has more resistance to water absorption.
Both have water-resisting abilities than ordinary wood; hence if you need to choose a better resistance on water, they are the best.
Last update on 2023-02-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API