During my encounter with them when doing my DIY work, I faced the problem of differentiating which fiberboard is better than the other.
Because of that reason, I had to check on their difference to understand the best one for my specific tasks.
Due to the density, MDF (medium density fiberwood) is less costly and thicker than HDF (High density fiberwood) which is tougher and thinner.
Because of that reason, there are structured differently and have different and unique uses.
What is MDF
The compactness of the wood is the reason it is called MDF. It is less compact than HDF but denser than plywood.
When choosing the best one, MDF is quite durable compared to the other many vigorous choices out there.
If you need to have a smooth surface and budget-friendly, you need to choose MDF.
Uses of MDF
• Building interior cabinets
• Creating showpiece
• Building furniture
• Used as a flooring material
• On the roof as a second layer
• Giving resistance to fire
• Used in speaker exteriors
What Is HDF
it is named HDF because it is denser than both MDF and plywood. Associating HDF to MDF, it is more vigorous and thinner.
The process of manufacturing HDF is similar to that of medium density fiberboard, although it uses plywood.
The company that produces it also uses binders and wax in the process.
Uses of HDF
• Skin for doors
• Background for framing paintings
• Floor laminating
• Furniture that is used regularly
Difference between MDF and HDF
Between MDF and HDF, some common differences are noticeable. Here are some of the differences.
The major variance between MDF and HDF is the density or thickness. When you compare MDF to HDF, it is less tough.
• Production element
The remainders of softwood and hardwood are used in the production of the MDF, while HDF is generated from wood fibers picked from pulpwood wastage.
Due to the building structure, MDF and HDF have different prices. MDF is less costly as compared to HDF because HDF is thinner and sturdier.
HDF is still a reasonable option even though it is expensive because it can be solid as normal wood.
Depending on how you use the types of wood matter most, even though HDF is much durable than MDF.
The reason that makes HDF durable is that it is more strong and solider.
Depending on the condition of the surrounding, MDF is frailer than HDF. In an extremely moist climate, MDF suffers most.
- ①：Diameter 7 1/4" (185mm), 60T, Arbor 5/8" with diamond washer. Max Speed RPM 8600, ATB and Kerf is 0.094" 2.4mm
- ②：Electroplate black anti-stick coating, can make blade much more smoothly and anti-rust
- ③：High hardness Carbide is design to cut Hard Wood, Plywood, Laminate, MDF, HDF also OK for soft wood.
- ④: RIPPING and FRAMMING, Please wear protective equipment such as goggles, gloves, masks, etc.
- ⑤: Knock out diamond washer, please note the washer only can knock out from back side. if this side can't, try another.
- ①：Diameter 7-1/4" (185mm), 40T, ATB and Super Thin Kerf is 1/16" (1.6mm), Max Speed RPM 8600
- ②：Arbor 5/8" with diamond washer. Please twist out removal, not use hammrer knock out.
- ③：Laser cut Supper Thin blade body, anti-vibration and expansion slots reduce noise and vibration during operation
- ④：High hardness Carbide is design to cut Hard Wood, Plywood, Laminate, MDF, HDF also OK for soft wood
- ⑤：Teflon surface coating make the blade anti-sticker for you Very Sharp and Clear cut
- ①: Warning----This is Wood Work Blade, Never Use This for Cutting Metal
- ②：5⅜"(136mm)-36T ATB Tooth. Arbor 20mm with 5/8" Washer.
- ③ Ultra Thin Kerf 0.063"(1.6mm)
- ④: Word Working Circular Saw Blade. Use for Laminate, Veneer Board, Plywood, Hard wood, MDF and HDF Cutting
- ⑤: Ultra Thin and Light Design, Especially Good for Corldless Saw
- SHUZIYU For Premium Quality Only, We started our tool business in 2007,. Supply the best qualtiy tools with very good price
- ①: Size: Diameter 4-1/2"(115mm), Arbor 3/8"(9.5mm), Kerf 0.05"(1.25mm), 24T Tooth.
- ②: Smooth cut for wood. Laminate board, plywood, chipboard, and so on
- ③: design for Cordless saw. Like MAKITA HIKOKI and so on as accessories
- ④: Same Material surface coating with Red blade, anti-sticker for you Very Sharp and Clear cut
- CREATIVE CRAFTS: Fill a blank MDF board with paint and embellishments to create signs, book covers, decorative boxes, or laser photo engraving!
- STRONG MDF: The lightweight portable design of the recycled wood board ensures that you always have a stable writing surface with you. Indoor use only, not weather-resistant
- MULTI-PURPOSE: The MDF wood board can be stained, engraved, cut, and transformed into a number of DIY art projects.
- DIMENSIONS: Each board measures 9 x 5 x 0.125 inches. Proudly Made In USA
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Includes 20 boards
HDF vs MDF, Which is Better?
If you are making kitchen cabinets and doors, HDF is further appropriate to use.
This is because HDF is hard as ordinary wood in strength; hence MDF is less substantial.
In terms of water absorption, both HDF and MDF are not water vulnerable. MDF is more susceptible to water because it swells when it engrosses water compared to HDF which has more resistance to water absorption.
Both have water-resisting abilities than ordinary wood; hence if you need to choose a better resistance on water, they are the best.
Last update on 2023-12-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API