Carpentry, is a complex art. From the wood itself to finishing products, there are several products required.
Two of these products are liquid nails and wood glue. These two products can often be used alternatingly.
Therefore, one of the most common carpenters’ is; which is the better option between wood glue and liquid nails?
What are liquid nails?
Anyone who has worked with wood knows that nails are tools used to put together two or more wooden pieces.
A liquid nail is a particular type of nail.
It works like an adhesive that keeps everything locked in place and influences the appearance of the final product.
Liquid nails are primarily applied if you are planning to construct something heavy-duty.
Advantages of liquid nail
• They adjust to the temperature perfectly
• They positively affect the final appearance of your product. This is mainly because they are paintable.
• They are extremely strong
• They last for a long time
• They work great on both wet and dry timber
The drawbacks of liquid nails
• The clean-up process after using liquid nails is pretty hard
• When it gets on your skin, you cannot get it off without oil
What is wood glue?
Wood glue is a versatile adhesive that can be used o wood, metal, porcelain, or plastic.
Therefore, despite its name, this product can be applied to several types of materials. Wood glue is excellent for patching things up.
Advantages of wood glue
• It can be used on a wide range of surfaces, apart from wood
• It dries fast
• It is water-resistant
• It does not produce a harsh odour
• It is not hard to clean off
The drawbacks of wood glue
• It cannot be applied on heavy-duty surfaces
• You might need different types of glue on varying surfaces
Wood Glue vs Liquid Nails: Which is better?
Both products are excellent in their own right. However, if you are looking to choose the best one, it would help if you considered the following elements;
If you are looking for a product with the fastest drying time, then wood glue would be a perfect choice.
Depending on the brand and type, wood glue typically takes between thirty minutes to an hour to dry.
On the other hand, liquid nail usually takes up to twenty-four hours or more to dry.
This depends on the humidity and surface porosity.
Wood glue can be applied on a wide range of surfaces.
However, compared to liquid nail, its applications are limited.
You can apply liquid nail on all the surfaces that you can use wood glue on, plus surfaces like panelling, tileboards, and concrete.
The same cannot be said about wood glue. Therefore, when it comes to the applicability, liquid nail takes the win.
Since the two products are not typically used for the same tasks, they each have their strength in their specific areas.
For instance, liquid nails demonstrate strength with products like plywood, fibreglass, and foam boards.
On the other hand, wood glue shows strength in indoor and outdoor furniture.
Ease of application
Both products are easy to apply.
However, it depends on the surface you are working with.
Additionally, it is worth mentioning that liquid nails cause such a mess and are hard to clean afterwards. The same cannot be said about wood glue (if you need glue for plexiglass then see it here).
- GEL FORMULA: No run control gel formula that is great for use on vertical surfaces
- ANTI CLOG CAP: Helps keep the glue from drying out. It's Gorilla tough use after use.
- IMPACT TOUGH: Specially formulated for increased impact resistance and strength
- FAST-SETTING: Dries in 10-45 seconds. No clamping required.
- VERSATILE: Bonds plastic, wood, metal, ceramic, rubber, leather, paper and more. Not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene plastic or similar materials.
- Impact Tough: Reinforced to increase impact resistance and strength
- Anti Clog Cap: Keeps glue from drying out. It's Gorilla Tough use after use
- Fast-setting: Dries in 10-45 seconds, no clamping required
- Versatile: Bonds plastic, wood, metal, ceramic, rubber, leather, paper, and more
- Use for sealing or repairing door frames, windows, vents, toys, appliances, gaskets, weather-stripping, outside of fireplace doors, shoes and boots
- Bonds ABS, glass, ceramic, porcelain, wood, aluminum, stainless steel, cultured marble, fiberglass, granite, vinyl tile, some rubbers and plastics
- Aquarium safe
- No cracking, peeling or shrinking
- 2. 7 oz.
- EMA FORMULA: Advanced blended EMA (Ethyl Methacrylate) makes it safe for cosmetic use.
- MADE IN THE UNITED STATES: Liquid Monomer is developed and produced in the United States of America. Prepared under the strictest quality control, with ingredients and formulas friendly to the environment.
- LEAK-PROOF PHENOLIC CAPS This modern leak-proof cap eliminates the need of the classic paper/plastic seals that can detach from the bottle neck due to the monomer chemical composition. Phenolic Caps made of industrial-grade highly rigid plastic, molds itself around the sealing areas as the cap is screwed on, virtually eliminating leakage, evaporation, contamination, and forming an exceptionally tight seal.
- PROVIDES OUTSTANDING FLEXIBILITY AND PREVENTS DISCOLORATION: Liquid monomer by Mia Secret provides excellent flexibility, which makes easy to sculpt beautiful acrylic nails, and Its advanced non-yellowing formula prevents discoloration.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: In Mia Secret, our top priority are our customers. If you experience an issue with our Mia Secret Monomer, we will exchange the item to you. For more information on how to request a product replacement, visit Mia Secret official website, scroll all the way down to “About Mia Secret” section; then, send an email to the email address listed in this section, and we will respond to you between 24-48 hours.
- 【Various Size】 A kit includes plenty of sizes of hardware nails, 1.6mm * 20mm(appr 3/4”), 1.6mm * 25 mm(appr 1”), 1.6mm * 30 mm(appr 1-1/4”), 2mm * 38 mm(appr 1-1/2”), 2.5mm * 50 mm(appr 2”), 1.5mm * 25 mm(appr 1”). With 376 nails in every kit, suitable for your diverse projects.
- 【High-quality Nails】 The surface is galvanized, can effectively prevent nail corrosion and meet your long-term use needs. Hardware Nails are of hard material, very strong and sharp, and keep the shape and not bend easily when you use.
- 【Convenient Package】 Packed in different grids according to the size, it is efficient for you to find the size you need, and the packaging is portative, making your work swifter and more professional. PP packing box of good material can be reused as a storage box, easy to tidy and hang.
- 【Use Widely】 This set of steel nails can be used for all kinds of woodworking projects at home or at work, produce long-lasting results with high quality, such as hanging photos, making crafts, or repairing generally, this combination will be your best choice. For DIY enthusiasts, the assorted nails deliver comprehensive and durable help.
- 【Noted】 It is not recommended to store the nail set in a humid place. And close the cover immediately after use to slow oxidation. Enjoy a completely risk-free purchase with our 100% money-back guarantee. Click “Add to Cart” now!
Liquid Nails vs Wood Glue
There isn’t a superior product between wood glue and liquid nails.
The two have their specific strengths and downsides.
Therefore, the wise thing to do would be to consider the pros and cons of each, plus the particular application, before making a choice.
Last update on 2022-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API