As a DIY enthusiast, I have been having the urge to change the appearance of my kitchen tables but had not settled on the best solutions in a long time.
Kitchen tables are an important part of the kitchen, and seeing them look ugly and dull would offset my mood most of the time.
It was not until recently I decided enough was enough and set out to find the best solution to change the look of my tabletops and consequently change the face of the entire kitchen space.
After solving the problem, I thought I would share the solution on the best polyurethane for kitchen table tops.
If you are a DIY enthusiast who wants to apply polyurethane finish on your kitchen tables, this is the article for you.
What is Polyurethane, and Why Choose It?
Polyurethane is a polymer made up of numerous repeating units of urethane molecules.
Polyurethane is a thermoset, which means it irreversibly hardens upon curing.
Polyurethane is used in making paints, adhesives, varnishes, and foams. You may be asking yourself why I chose polyurethane over other coatings and finishes.
My choice was because polyurethane not only acts as a coating that prevents wear and tear of wood, but it also makes tabletops aesthetically pleasing.
If you may be wondering whether polyurethane is safe to use on kitchen tables and countertops, you can rest your worries.
Polyurethane is as safe as any other coating and finishing used on kitchen tables, provided it is left to dry thoroughly.
The Best Polyurethane for Kitchen Table Tops
There are two broad classifications of polyurethane coatings. These are oil-based polyurethane and water-based polyurethane.
The best among the two in terms of durability and cost is oil-based polyurethane.
Oil-based polyurethanes are cheaper than water-based polyurethanes, and they also last longer.
Their durability means your kitchen table tops get protected against moisture and scratches for a long time.
Another added advantage of oil-based polyurethanes over water-based ones is the higher concentration of polyurethane they have.
When applying oil-based polyurethane coating on heavy-use tables, you require fewer coats as compared to water-based polyurethanes.
In addition to the higher concentration of polyurethane, oil-based polyurethanes produce a warm golden/amber tint on wood surfaces that is aesthetically pleasing.
The only downside of oil-based polyurethanes is the time they take to dry and solidify completely.
However, considering the benefits, I would say it is worth the wait.
- Adds water repellency to nubuck & suede footwear while preserving texture
- Clean first with Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel for best results
- Spray-on application
- Recommend for use on all textured leather shoes, coats, and gloves; safe for GORE-TEX
- Water based, non-persistent, and contains no PFCs, optical brighteners, or added scent
- Please refer to size informations. (S fits Waist 25"-27"/ Hips 36"; M fits Waist 26"-29"/ Hips 38"; L fits Waist 28"-31"/ Hips 40"; XL fits Waist 30"-33"/ Hips 42"; 2XL fits Waist 32"-35"/ Hips 44")
- Features: High waist, Wrinkle-resistant, Stretchy, Full-Length, Ankle-pleated and Comfortable Leggings.
- Versatile: Polyurethane (faux) legging adds a charm and rock 'n' roll flair to your wardrobe. Silhouette: Youthful, Soft, Sexy, Figure-hugging, and creates a nice silhouette.
- Occasion: Fancy night outings, Clubbing, Casual and easy to pair with T-shirts, Fleeces or any garment.
- DESIGNED TO HELP RESTORE BLACK VINYL: Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer brings back black vinyl and plastic car trim to original, or better than original, condition. Provides a long-lasting finish and superior levels of durability and protection.
- INCLUDES A 12 OZ BOTTLE: Follow instructions for safe and proper application of the product. Apply with cloth or towel for quick application. Solution Finish Trim Restorer helps restore faded parts of your vehicle instantly.
- VERSATILE FORMULA: With advanced polymer technology, this silicone-free and VOC compliant formula creates a like-new finish. Use on window trim, handles, bumpers, wiper blades, mirrors, truck bed covers, seals, mud flaps, pads and more.
- RESTORE PLASTIC ON A VARIETY OF SURFACES: While the product is designed for use on your vehicles, it can be used on ATVs, UTVs, boats, and other recreational vehicles with plastic vinyl trim. A little goes a long way!
- UNMATCHED IN THE INDUSTRY: Solution Finish provides top-notch quality products and stands behind each one with a customer satisfaction guarantee. For long-lasting results and a durable finish, you can count on Solution Finish products.
- ✔️ PROTECTS WORK BOOTS – Tuff Toe Boot Guard extends the life of your work boots by 3 Times! Tuff Toe protects your boots and other footwear from rugged use. It also repels stains from chemicals, grease, oil, dirt and water, and is non-marking. Our formula uses the same technology found adhesives used at NASA and in ballistic adhesives, and is more flexible with greater abrasion resistance than any consumer grade product on the market. Contains enough material to cover the toe of two boots.
- ✔️ EASY APPLICATION, BONDS TO ANYTHING – Tuff Toe leather repair and care kit fixes soles and heels and is an effective tear mender for leather, steel, rubber, vinyl, canvas, cloth, cork, wood, and many other surfaces. Our 2-part polyurethane coating can be applied at home with a steady hand (see instructions below, and watch videos provided). Expert application is also available by a certified professional near you.
- ✔️ WATERPROOF, FIRE RESISTANT, NON-CONDUCTIVE – Tuff Toe was designed for those who work in rugged working conditions like Fireman, Welders, Electricians, Plumbers, Roofers, Masons and Mechanics. Tuff Toe has a flashpoint of 742° F and is certified not to melt at temps up to 500° F. Our product is non-conductive, is safe to use around electricity and is 100% waterproof. Tuff Toe is not considered a “safety toe”, but it does make non-steel-toed boots stiffer
- ✔️ WORKS ON ALL FOOTWEAR – Tuff Toe is not just for steel-toed work boots. It also repairs and protects cowboy, combat, hiking and motorcycle riding boots, tennis, golf, basketball, running, boat, skate, and climbing shoes, women’s pumps, high heels, knee high and wide calf boots, ice, roller and hockey skates, roller blades, sandals, flip flops, slippers, sneakers, and all types of footwear.
- ✔️ MADE IN USA WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY – Tuff Toe is made from the highest grade materials and is proud to be 100% manufactured in the U.S.A. with a lifetime warranty against product defects. We guarantee our product for the usable life of your boots, or we will give you your money back (when applied by a certified professional, see details below).
- CLASSIC STYLE: There is no doubt that this will become your new everyday belt. It has a simple strap with stitching, a sleek metal harness buckle, and a classic English tip. With 7 holes along the strap, you will get the perfect fit to secure your pants
- STURDY STRAP: You can count on this belt to be the epitome of quality and style with the reliable leather-like strap. It is 1.4" wide, easily fitting in the belt loops of any pair of pants. There is also an embossed logo for an authentic Columbia look
- SIMPLE SIZING: For best fit, order a size 2" larger than your waist size. If your waist size is 34", you'll need size 36 - order belt size Medium (34-36). Alpha Sizing: Small (30-32), Medium (34-36), Large (38-40), X-Large (42-44).
- COLUMBIA QUALITY: Columbia is a trusted and recognized American brand. Our products are made to fit your day to day activities, but also when you grab your bag to go on an adventure. When buying a Columbia product, you know that you are buying quality
My 3 Picks for Best Oil-Based Polyurethanes for Kitchen Tables
• General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat
It is easy to apply, hence friendly to newbies. This is the best choice of oil-based polyurethanes for someone who wants to obtain sustainable finishes
• Grizzly Industrial H2372 – Good Stuff Wood Finish
If you are a DIY enthusiast who does not want a glossy finish on your kitchen tables, this is the choice for you. This polyurethane is waterproof, odourless, and easy to apply.
• Vermont Natural Coatings Poly Whey Furniture Finish
It is easy to clean, dries quickly, environmentally safe, and produces a clear finish.
Last update on 2022-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API