As a DIY enthusiast, I have been having the urge to change the appearance of my kitchen tables but had not settled on the best solutions in a long time.
Kitchen tables are an important part of the kitchen, and seeing them look ugly and dull would offset my mood most of the time.
It was not until recently I decided enough was enough and set out to find the best solution to change the look of my tabletops and consequently change the face of the entire kitchen space.
After solving the problem, I thought I would share the solution on the best polyurethane for kitchen table tops.
If you are a DIY enthusiast who wants to apply polyurethane finish on your kitchen tables, this is the article for you.
What is Polyurethane, and Why Choose It?
Polyurethane is a polymer made up of numerous repeating units of urethane molecules.
Polyurethane is a thermoset, which means it irreversibly hardens upon curing.
Polyurethane is used in making paints, adhesives, varnishes, and foams. You may be asking yourself why I chose polyurethane over other coatings and finishes.
My choice was because polyurethane not only acts as a coating that prevents wear and tear of wood, but it also makes tabletops aesthetically pleasing.
If you may be wondering whether polyurethane is safe to use on kitchen tables and countertops, you can rest your worries.
Polyurethane is as safe as any other coating and finishing used on kitchen tables, provided it is left to dry thoroughly.
The Best Polyurethane for Kitchen Table Tops
There are two broad classifications of polyurethane coatings. These are oil-based polyurethane and water-based polyurethane.
The best among the two in terms of durability and cost is oil-based polyurethane.
Oil-based polyurethanes are cheaper than water-based polyurethanes, and they also last longer.
Their durability means your kitchen table tops get protected against moisture and scratches for a long time.
Another added advantage of oil-based polyurethanes over water-based ones is the higher concentration of polyurethane they have.
When applying oil-based polyurethane coating on heavy-use tables, you require fewer coats as compared to water-based polyurethanes.
In addition to the higher concentration of polyurethane, oil-based polyurethanes produce a warm golden/amber tint on wood surfaces that is aesthetically pleasing.
The only downside of oil-based polyurethanes is the time they take to dry and solidify completely.
However, considering the benefits, I would say it is worth the wait.
- Protects interior wood surfaces such as furniture, cabinets, trim and doors
- Oil based formula provides maximum durability and allows for a more even finish
- Dries to the touch in 2 hours with coverage up to 25 sq. ft. per can, recoat in 2 hours
- Unique formula provides outstanding stain and scratch resistance with ultra fast dry time
- Satin finish provides a classic and natural look
- For interior use only
- Included in MPI Category #57
- Tough abrasion resistant finish
- Smooth, self-leveling formula
- Great for floors
- This item is a OLD MASTERS Polyurethane Oil-Based Finish 1 Quart GLOSS
- Purpose of use for Painting Supplies, household-wood-stains
- This product is manufactured in United States
- Provides superior protection on exterior wood surfaces
- Outperforms other exterior clear finishes by 2-1
- Lower in odor than traditional solvent-based polyurethanes
- Protects and adds beauty to interior wood surfaces including woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets and floors
- Dries quickly
- Cleans up easily with warm water
- Recommended uses: woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets, floors
My 3 Picks for Best Oil-Based Polyurethanes for Kitchen Tables
• General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat
It is easy to apply, hence friendly to newbies. This is the best choice of oil-based polyurethanes for someone who wants to obtain sustainable finishes
• Grizzly Industrial H2372 – Good Stuff Wood Finish
If you are a DIY enthusiast who does not want a glossy finish on your kitchen tables, this is the choice for you. This polyurethane is waterproof, odourless, and easy to apply.
• Vermont Natural Coatings Poly Whey Furniture Finish
It is easy to clean, dries quickly, environmentally safe, and produces a clear finish.
Last update on 2021-08-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API