You’re looking at painting the kitchen cabinets and sprucing the tired kitchen units up.
Maybe making the place look brighter so that guests ask if you’ve had a new kitchen installed.
But the cabinets are grimed with years of grease from cooking and product residues and if you don’t clean them thoroughly and effectively, the new paint won’t stick to the cupboards and will end up as a mess.
So what’s the best degreaser for the cabinets before you paint?
There are many choices. You can even make up a solution yourself, using hot water and bicarbonate of soda or vinegar or even both, you can add a small amount of washing up liquid for good measure, but what’s available, tried and tested to buy for this purpose?
What cuts through grease without leaving residue or stains?
Here are some examples of products available for degreasing the cabinets prior to painting.
Zep Commercial All-purpose Clean & Degreaser
Zep Commercial All-purpose Clean & Degreaser is a popular and well known product designed for bigger jobs than the occasional hob clean and sold by good DIY outlets and Amazon at less than £15.
Cillit Bang is a well known and respected degreaser but not cheap, and you may need several bottles to degrease all the surfaces that you’re going to sand and paint.
HG Grease Away
HG Grease Away is another universally known and respected grease removal product and can be used on all surface types, designed for bigger jobs or longer life.
Inspired Heavy Duty Degreaser
Inspired Heavy Duty Degreaser is another highly rated product, it has the disadvantage of being sold in a bottle rather than a sprayer like the others, but it has the options of being used neat on heavy grime or diluted for larger areas of less serious grease.
There’s the advantage of industrial size bottles or smaller bottles available, so it’s ideal for the whole kitchen, and the price is competitive.
Inspired also does a spray bottle for smaller grease problems such as hobs and hoods.
Elbow Grease offer a large spray bottle of degreaser at a good price and with good reviews. Solvent free and vegan friendly for those with ethical concerns.
Mr Muscle, the household name brand for grease and grime removal have a spray degreaser with a fresh scent but you may need several bottles again for all the cabinets.
- #1 SELLING STAINLESS STEEL BRAND: Weiman a trusted cleaning brand for most of your home's delicate, difficult to care for surfaces. Clean, protect and enjoy your home with the best & most trusted stainless steel cleaning products
- CLEAN & POLISH: A pH neutral formula quickly cleans, shines & protects any stainless-steel surface. Our product works great on black stainless steel.
- NO MORE FINGERPRINTS: Effectively eliminates surface fingerprints, haze, smudges, grease, streaks & residue build up
- BRILLIANT STREAK-FREE SHINE: Polish leaves a protective barrier that repels dirt and dust. Our wipes are easy to use – simply wipe in the direction of the metal grain, and buff with a soft, dry cloth
- FOR USE ON: Stainless steel refrigerator, microwave, oven, stove, grill, sink, range-hood & trash cans
- Plant-Based Cleaning Ingredients: Formulated with powerful natural cleaning agents like corn and coconut and scented with clary sage and citrus extracts.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our all-purpose cleaning wipes combine plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your surfaces sparkling clean and smelling fresh, naturally!
- Use It On: Countertops, toilets, doorknobs, walls, floors, tables, trash cans, appliances, sporting equipment, toys, cars, boats, anything!
- Play Hard. Clean Nice. When the playroom, kitchen, or car needs a quick cleanup, our all-purpose wipes cut through grease and grime like nobody's business.
- Cruelty Free: BETTER LIFE is a Leaping Bunny certified company that never tests on animals.
- Oscillating heads scrubs 60 times per second, so you don’t have to
- Interchangeable accessory brushes give you the right tool for the job
- Water resistant assembly for durability you expect from Rubbermaid
- Pulse and Continuous scrubbing settings
- Ergonomic grip and rubberized molding for comfortable cleaning
- 3X scrubbing power* for everyday jobs
- Safe on non-stick cookware, countertops, showers, tubs, and more
- Long-lasting and durable
- Replace your sponge at least every 3 weeks for best performance
- Clean in the dishwasher and reuse
What’s The Best Degreaser For Kitchen Cabinets Before Painting?
It varies as kitchens and plans vary and depends on the size of preference, your kitchen size and material type, your budget, the state of your kitchen cabinets, ethical concerns, and whether you have children or pets around you as you work.
What you buy can depend on the size of your kitchen, the materials you’re working with, and price.
Some kitchen degreasers are not suitable for all materials so it’s best to check first.
Some degreasers have a nice smell, some may leave residue, especially cheaper products, and when you’re going to paint a cabinet, you don’t want residue.
It’s a good idea to look through other people’s reviews of products when you’re choosing.
The list I have given are good tried and tested products with good reviews and are the best place to start.
Last update on 2022-08-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API