You’re looking at painting the kitchen cabinets and sprucing the tired kitchen units up.
Maybe making the place look brighter so that guests ask if you’ve had a new kitchen installed.
But the cabinets are grimed with years of grease from cooking and product residues and if you don’t clean them thoroughly and effectively, the new paint won’t stick to the cupboards and will end up as a mess.
So what’s the best degreaser for the cabinets before you paint?
There are many choices. You can even make up a solution yourself, using hot water and bicarbonate of soda or vinegar or even both, you can add a small amount of washing up liquid for good measure, but what’s available, tried and tested to buy for this purpose?
What cuts through grease without leaving residue or stains?
Here are some examples of products available for degreasing the cabinets prior to painting.
Zep Commercial All-purpose Clean & Degreaser
Zep Commercial All-purpose Clean & Degreaser is a popular and well known product designed for bigger jobs than the occasional hob clean and sold by good DIY outlets and Amazon at less than £15.
Cillit Bang is a well known and respected degreaser but not cheap, and you may need several bottles to degrease all the surfaces that you’re going to sand and paint.
HG Grease Away
HG Grease Away is another universally known and respected grease removal product and can be used on all surface types, designed for bigger jobs or longer life.
Inspired Heavy Duty Degreaser
Inspired Heavy Duty Degreaser is another highly rated product, it has the disadvantage of being sold in a bottle rather than a sprayer like the others, but it has the options of being used neat on heavy grime or diluted for larger areas of less serious grease.
There’s the advantage of industrial size bottles or smaller bottles available, so it’s ideal for the whole kitchen, and the price is competitive.
Inspired also does a spray bottle for smaller grease problems such as hobs and hoods.
Elbow Grease offer a large spray bottle of degreaser at a good price and with good reviews. Solvent free and vegan friendly for those with ethical concerns.
Mr Muscle, the household name brand for grease and grime removal have a spray degreaser with a fresh scent but you may need several bottles again for all the cabinets.
- Powers away limescale and mineral buildup
- #1 Recommended by* Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag and Amana brands (*affresh brand products and the recommending brands' products are all owned and distributed by Whirlpool Corporation)
- Cleans what you can't see: your machine's tub, racks, pump and valve, drain and recirculation hoses
- Cleans inside all dishwasher machine makes and models
- Use monthly or as needed to maximize machine performance* (*heavily soiled machines may require extra cleaning cycles)
- Ready-to-use economy size refill
- Splashless technology ensures a smoother pour
- Waterbased cleaning formula dries fast, is residue-free, and safer for people, pets and the planet
- Safe for all unwaxed, unoiled, polyurethane finished wood floors
- Meets the U.S. EPA product standards and is Safer Choice Certified for containing ingredients that are safer for people, pets, and the planet
- GET RID OF STUBBORN MOLD AND MILDEW STAINS: Our instant spray cleaner removes the stains left behind from black mold and mildew. They tend to leave behind ugly staining that can go deep below the surface
- REMOVE UNWANTED ODORS: Keep your home free of musty, damp smells that are usually left behind by other sprays; Our spray is great to use in the kitchen, toilet area, drywall and on vinyl shower curtains
- FAST-ACTING SPRAY: Our fast-acting mold stain remover spray, instantly targets deeply embedded stains that linger between bathroom tiles, in grout lines, under the sink, and on shower doors
- NO SCRUBBING NEEDED: Simply spray our ready-to-use formula on the affected area and watch the stains disappear right before your eyes!
- SAFE TO USE ON MULTIPLE SURFACES: Easily remove stains from bathtubs, decks, wood, vinyl siding, drywall, concrete floors, brick walls, kitchen and bathroom tiles and other areas where mold and mildew tend to grow
- REVITALIZE WITHOUT SCRATCHING: Non-abrasive cooktop pads help easily remove heavily burned on foods, grease & grime. Our cooktop cream uses micro-bead technology to boost cleaning power.
- SHINE & PROTECT: Dramatically cleans, shines, and protects glass/ceramic/induction smooth top ranges. Buff with a paper towel to shine.
- SAFE & EASY TO USE: Leave a streak-free shine while removing splattered food, dirt, oily residue & watermarks. Will not scratch or damage your cooktop.
- USE ON: All major glass/ceramic cooktop manufactures including GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire & Thermador. TRUSTED BRAND: Weiman is a trusted cleaning brand for most of your home's delicate, difficult to care for surfaces; clean, protect and enjoy your home with Weiman.
- 3 PIECE SET: This bundle includes (1) Cooktop Cream, (1) Razor – (Razor is packed with the blade flipped inside for safety) and (1) Scrubbing Pad.
- Plant-Based Cleaning Ingredients: Formulated with powerful natural cleaning agents like corn and coconut and scented with clary sage and citrus extracts.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our all-purpose cleaning wipes combine plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your surfaces sparkling clean and smelling fresh, naturally!
- Use It On: Countertops, toilets, doorknobs, walls, floors, tables, trash cans, appliances, sporting equipment, toys, cars, boats, anything!
- Play Hard. Clean Nice. When the playroom, kitchen, or car needs a quick cleanup, our all-purpose wipes cut through grease and grime like nobody's business.
- Cruelty Free: BETTER LIFE is a Leaping Bunny certified company that never tests on animals.
What’s The Best Degreaser For Kitchen Cabinets Before Painting?
It varies as kitchens and plans vary and depends on the size of preference, your kitchen size and material type, your budget, the state of your kitchen cabinets, ethical concerns, and whether you have children or pets around you as you work.
What you buy can depend on the size of your kitchen, the materials you’re working with, and price.
Some kitchen degreasers are not suitable for all materials so it’s best to check first.
Some degreasers have a nice smell, some may leave residue, especially cheaper products, and when you’re going to paint a cabinet, you don’t want residue.
It’s a good idea to look through other people’s reviews of products when you’re choosing.
The list I have given are good tried and tested products with good reviews and are the best place to start.
Last update on 2022-06-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API