Selecting a perfect metal lathe that can offer you the best service for your project is not something that many people find easy.
It is important to have a good and clear vision of the project you want to work on and the type of metal lathe machine you are buying.
I love using the metal lathe for most metal work to get satisfying results out of the ordinary material that I use.
Regardless of my goals, I enjoy using metal lathes because of their efficiency and reliability, whether for a hobby or professional purposes.
I have listed some of the best benchtop metal lathes you can buy.
1) Jet (BDB-1340A)
This is the popular metal lathes used for heavy construction.
1. 8-inch gap length
2. Low voltage motor control
3. 7- 3/8 bed width
4. Weigh 1175lbs
5. MT-5 (MT-3) spindle taper contain sleeve
6. 60 to 1240 rpm speed
7. 2 years warranty
Advantages and disadvantages
The lathe has some cons and pros.
1. Easy to understand the gearbox; hence you can make adjustments or changes quickly and easily.
2. Noise level is reduced to a lower level, giving you a comfortable experience.
3. It is suitable for larger diameter work as it includes a gab on the bed extension.
4. It offers a smoother delivery overall for helical cutting.
1. It is not the best machine for beginners.
2. It is considered expensive, making it unreachable for other budgets.
1. Jet BDB-1340A (321360A) 13 inch
Why I Like It
Jet BDB-1340A contains a motor that can produce enough energy to be used across the entire machine.
Every machine needs to have the right piece type to maximise and withstand the power generated.
This benchtop lathe machine has the right gearbox that contains a helical cutting gear responsible for reducing unpleasant factors such as noise.
Reducing noise makes the environment suitable and increases your concentration of the work hence easy to get the best results.
This machine is made to assist you in many ways and a vast number of times.
- 2 HorsePower, 1Ph, 230 Volts Motor
- 1 3/8 Inches Spindle Hole
- 13 inches Swing x 40 inches Centers
- 12 spindle speeds ranging from 60 1240 RPM
- Shown with Optional stand
2) M1112 shop fox
M1112 shop fox is one of the best benchtop metal lathes and can be used for gunsmithing.
2. 24 inches travel carriage
3. Variable speed
4. Halogen work light
5. 7-1/4 inches bed width
6. 1-5/8 inches spindle bore
7. 8-inch chuck with 4 jaws and 6-inch chuck with 3 jaws
Advantages and disadvantages
1. It reduces the noise to lower levels
2. It has a cast iron material on the extended base and stands
3. Quick adjustment process because of the tool post
4. Has different working speeds
1. There is no chip guide for the chuck
1. M1112 shop fox
Why I Like It
It is not hard to control this benchtop lathe since it has a tool post that makes it easier to change tooling quickly.
Therefore, both experienced and people making their way in the industry will benefit a lot.
The tool post contains a lot of accessories, including a piston tool holder.
This metal lathe machine contains handwheels, and one of them is for moving the carriage and can be placed on either the left or the side of the machine bed.
However, it is allowed to have another handwheel to slide across.
- Perfect for pens, bowls, cups, chess pieces, and other small workpieces
- Fits workpieces up to 12 inches long and 8 inches wide
- 3.2-Amp motor provides over 50% more power than most 8-inch wood lathes
- Adjust the soft start variable speed motor anywhere from 750 to 3200 RPM
- Features a 2.3-Inch face plate, an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper, and two interchangeable tool rests
3) Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch
This type of metal lathe is suitable for varying metalwork under specific applications.
1. High efficiency under different applications
2. 88.18 lbs weight
3. Free movable lamp
4. 550W DC singe phase
5. 80mm chuck diameter
6. Infinity variable speeds
7. Has the mechanism to close and increase jaws
Advantages and disadvantages
1. It provides a steady and constant work frequency during operation
2. Good for sample processing
3. It offers the highest benchtop lathe efficiency
4. It is effortless to use as a tool
5. It can provide solid performance in various tasks
The motor can provide a lot of powering capacity
Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch
Why I Like It
1. The Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch is great because it offers the chance to other machine accessories.
2. You can use Mophorn 7 x 12 Inches for working under different metal work applications.
3. The key features of Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch are free movable lamp, 550W DC singe phase, 80mm chuck diameter, infinity variable speeds.
4. The main advantages of Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch are:
It provides a steady and constant work frequency during operation, is good for sample processing, offers the highest benchtop lathe efficiency, it is straightforward to use as a tool, it can provide solid performance in various tasks.
5. The main disadvantage of Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch is that the motor can offer more power capacity.
6. Popular brands is Mophorn 7 x 12 Inch.
- Sturdy Iron Construction: The mini metal lathe bed is made of high-grade iron. Equipped with nylon gears, this lathe machine is wear-resistant, durable, and professional. Mini metal lathe power of motor: 400W. The full-length splashguard provides maximum protection.
- Infinitely Variable Speed: Variable speed from 50-2250 RPM. Forward and reverse at all speeds. Operate either manually or with the adjustable auto feed rate. The hardness and accuracy of the slideways are obtained by raw material, heat hardening and grinding. The emergency stop button included.
- Accurate 3-jaw Chuck: 3-jaw self-centering chuck for setting materials steadily. Backsplash guard included. The spindle is supported by precision tapered roller bearings, spindle accuracy within 0.01mm.
- Professional Compound Rest: The mini metal lathe quick change tool post can achieve positions of internal cutting, face cutting, and bevel cutting by changing the tool post angle and adjusting the compound rest. The professional slide is designed with abrasive resistance, moving blades freely with a feed rod.
- Wide Application: Home workshop-friendly size. Driven by the quality motor, this mini metal lathe cut off tool can be used in areas such as mini precision parts processing, sample processing, and modeling works.
Best Benchtop Metal Lathe
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: The metal lathe bed is made of high-grade iron. Equipped with nylon gears, this lathe machine is wear-resistant, durable, more accurate rotation and professional. This miniature lathe includes a digital screen clearly showing the rotational speed, ensuring precise and smooth operation.
- ACCURATE 3-JAW CHUCK: Mini metal lathe chuck, 3-jaw self-centering chuck, for setting cylindrical materials steadily. Backsplash guard included. Spindle is supported by precision tapered roller bearings, spindle accuracy within 0.0004"(0.01mm).
- SUPPORTIVE & PROTECTIVE: Soft start, change-over switch for clockwise or counter-clockwise spindle rotation. Equipped with all-metal gears. Steady rest works as end support ensuring chatter-free operation. Backsplash guard included.
- PROFESSIONAL COMPOUND REST: This wear-resistant and durable set of metal gears provides strong and efficient power transmission to the lathe. The lathe's adjustable 4-way tool post allows you to easily change your cutting tools and angles, permitting easy bevelling. This machine includes a large through-hole shaft to avoid inconvenience while working long pieces.
- WIDE APPLICATION: Driven by DC motor, This mini metal lathe is suitable for many processing tasks including turning, drilling, threading and cutting. The adjustment dials on the saddle, tailstock, and center let you work with exact accuracy and precision.
- Sturdy Metal Construction- The Mini Metal Lathe Bed Is Made Of High Grade Iron. Equipped With Nylon Gears, This Lathe Machine Is Wear-Resistant, Durable, More Accurate Rotation And Professional. Mini Metal Lathe Power Of Motor: 550W. The Full-Length Splashguard Provides Maximum Protection.
- Infinitely Variable Speeds- Variable Speed From 0-2500 Rpm. Forward And Reverse In All Speeds. Operate Either Manually Or With The Adjustable Auto Feed Rate. The Handness And Accuracy Of The V-Slideways Are Obtained By Raw Material, Heat Hardening And Grinding. Emergency Stop Buttom Included.
- Accurate 3-Jaw Chuck- Mini Metal Lathe Chuck, 3-Jaw Self-Centering Chuck, For Setting Cylindrical Materials Steadily. Backsplash Guard Included. Spindle Is Supported By Precision Tapered Roller Bearings, Spindle Accuracy Within 0.0004"(0.01Mm).
- Professional Compound Rest- The Mini Metal Lathe Quick Change Tool Post Can Achieve Positions Of Internal Cutting, Face Cutting And Bevel Cutting By Changing The Tool Post Angle And Adjusting The Compound Rest. Professional Cross Slide Is Designed With Abrasive Resistance, Moving Blades Freely With Feed Rod.
- Sturdy Iron Construction: The mini metal lathe bed is made of high grade iron. Equipped with nylon gears, this lathe machine is wear-resistant, durable, more accurate rotation and professional. Mini metal lathe power of motor: 550W. The full-length splashguard provides maximum protection.
- Infinitely Variable Speeds: Spindle Speed from 0-2250 RPM. Forward and reverse in all speeds. Operate either manually or with the adjustable auto feed rate. The handness and accuracy of the v-slideways are obtained by raw material, heat hardening and grinding. Emergency stop buttom included.
- Accurate 3-Jaw Chuck: Mini metal lathe chuck, 3-jaw self-centering chuck, for setting cylindrical materials steadily. Backsplash guard included. Spindle is supported by precision tapered roller bearings, spindle accuracy within 0.01mm. A free lamp is included.
- Professional Compound Rest: The mini metal lathe quick change tool post can achieve positions of internal cutting, face cutting and bevel cutting by changing the tool post angle and adjusting the compound rest. Professional cross slide is designed with abrasive resistance, moving blades freely with feed rod.
- Wide Application: Driven by DC motor, this mini metal lathe cut off tool can be used in areas such as mini precision parts processing, sample processing and modeling works.
- Sturdy & Durable Construction: The mini lathe is made of high-quality cast iron which stands up to tear and wear. It is equipped with a 1100W motor that delivers a great deal of energy. If you are into making models, it would be your professional assistant who has precise metric graduations and metal gears and therefore is punctilious.
- Infinitely Variable Speeds: Revolving Speed Range: 50-2250±10%. The mini lathe machine comes with variable speeds that give you the convenience to achieve the best work. This lathe allows you to work on both forward or reverse of any possible speed. The feeding rate can be adjusted manually or automatically. And an emergency button is accessible just in case.
- Works With Precision: Spindle Bore: 1.5"/38 mm. The metal working lathe is pre-installed with a 3-jaw chuck, 4.9"/125 mm in diameter, that can clamp raw materials tight, and a backsplash guard that ensures your safety during operation.
- Faster & More Effective: Swing Over Bed: 8.7"/220 mm; Swing Over Cross Slide: 15.7"/400 mm. The small metal lathe features a turret post for quick tool change and a cross slide for free blade moving, making internal cutting, face cutting and bevel cutting possible.
- Wide Application: The lathe produces precision work without taking up a lot of room in your shop or garage, making bushings, spindles, prototypes, models and more.
- Home workshop-friendly size
- Auto-feed and selectable gear train components
- Inside and outside 3-Jaw Chuck set included
- Includes HSS Cutting tools
- 3/4 HP motor
Last update on 2021-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API