If you're looking to buy or build an Adirondack chair (and who can blame you as they are stunning) then you need to pick the correct wood of course.
You need a wood that is durable, long lasting, impervious to rot and insects so that it doesn't get easily damaged and lasts for years to come.
So now you know here's the best wood options for your chair...
What is the best wood to use for Adirondack chairs?
The best wood to use for Adirondack chairs is typically cedar especially in North America where it's in abundance and fits all the above mentioned criteria (it's durable, won't rot, long lasting etc).
Top 6 Best Adirondack Wooden Chair Options
- Dimensions: 38" H x 22” L x 29” W
- Made with solid acacia wood, perfect for outdoor use
- Includes 1 chair. Supports up to 250 lbs.
- Resistant to a variety of outdoor elements
- Ships ready-to-assemble with step-by-step instructions
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - Our wood adirondack chair built with durable fir wooden, this high-quality chair will provide a pleasantly comfortable lounging experience for years to come.
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED - The classic design of this adirondack chair caters to comfort in individuals of a wide variety of sizes, The wide armrests are comfortable and large enough to rest drinks and other Small items on.
- BLENDS WITH ANY SETTING - Natural hemlock wood and adirondack design provide a traditional charm. Classic style perfectly complements and accents other furniture on the patio, porch, or garden. This adirondack chair will make a lovely relaxing environment.
- PRODUCT DIMENSION - Overall size adirondack chair: 30. 3"(L) x 35"(W) x 34. 3"(H). Instructions can be downloaded from the page under the "Product information".
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - Our store offering free replacement or refund in 30 days : damage and missing parts. If there is any quality or delivery problem, please contact us freely. We try our best to provide the best service for you in our store. Instructions can be downloaded from the page under the "Product information".
- ACACIA WOOD: Made with acacia wood that brings a sleek and exotic look to your space, this durable hardwood naturally withstands outdoor elements and will not darken over time. Acacia wood is perfect as a solid, heavy frame that resists wear and tear.
- CUP HOLDERS INCLUDED: This chair offers two cup holders that allow you to effortlessly enjoy chilled drinks on a warm day. One holder is located on the left arm and the other is attached to the right side of the chair seat.
- FOLDABLE: Designed to be compact, this chair can fold for easy storage or transport. Simply raise the backrest and fold the seat and leg frame upwards until it is flush against the back.
- TRADITIONAL SLATS: Our chair features traditional slatted seating, characteristic of Adirondack design. This gives a wonderfully rustic feel to your decor while allowing air to circulate and also to ventilate body heat.
- DIMENSIONS: Choose an accessory that is the perfect size for you and your furniture. This Adirondack chair is 30.25” W x 35.75” D x 34.25” H. You will love how much your space can transform with the simple addition of this charming chair.
- This slat-backed outdoor Adirondack Rocking Chair combines ultimate comfort with timeless style, Made from the highest quality acacia wood, it is designed to hold up to the elements and look great, a perfect addition to your patio, backyard, or garden
- Includes: one (1) rocking Chair. Material: Acacia wood. Finish: Natural Stained
- Assembly required. Hand crafted details. Dimensions: 38.25 inches deep x 30.50 inches wide x 39.50 inches high
- Seat width: 21.75 inches. Seat Depth: 19.50 inches
- Seat Height: 17.25 inches
- ✅ENJOY YOUR LEISURE TIME: The lounge-friendly design of adding a center table between 2 patio chairs brings you convenient access to what you need; this table and chairs set are great for an impromptu gathering.
- ✅ERGONOMIC DESIGN: This ergonomically designed Adirondack chair features 2 seats, each with a armrests, large seat, slightly curved and high seat back for max lounging comfort.
- ✅NATURAL WOOD CONSTRUCTION: Made out of durable and natural fir wood to bring a time-honored look to any outdoor space.
- ✅PROVIDE AMPLE STORAGE: the middle table can hold books, tablets, and coffee. Just imagine getting a nice cup of coffee or drink, reading your favorite magazines or books, place them on the middle mini-table, and relaxing comfortably in this double Adirondack chair.
- ✅PRODUCT DIMENSION: Overall Dimension: 61.5" W x 32.75" D x 37.5" H, Weight Capacity: 330lbs (per seat)
- Summer has arrived, and with it comes the profoundly human desire to unwind in the sun with a cool drink. This chair encapsulates the spirit of the season, giving you the perfect place to celebrate the warm weather in style. It's foldable, allowing you to store it safely out of sight in the cooler months when not in use
- Includes: One (1) Foldable Chair. Material: Acacia Wood. Finish: Dark Brown
- Some Assembly Required. Hand Crafted Details. Dimensions: 36.00 inches deep x 28.75 inches wide x 36.00 inches high
- Seat Depth: 17.25 inches
- Arm Height: 20.50
How much does it cost to build an Adirondack chair?
You should be able to get 1 chairs worth of materials for $100 or less according to Dunn Lumber and they say that cost can be slashed by around 20% if purchasing enough materials to build 2 chairs.
How much wood do I need to build Adirondack chairs?
25 board feet per chair is what experts SawMillCreek recommend.
What is the most comfortable Adirondack chair?
These are the most comfortable Adirondack chairs...
- FOLDING DESIGN – Are you still struggling with the size of Adirondack Chair? This Adirondack chair can be stored away easily. Buy SERWALL folding adirondack chairs to make more room for your home!
- CLASSIC DESIGN & LARGE CAPACITY: 100% PC material and Adirondack design provide a traditional charm that withstands the test of time to any porch or deck, 22-inch armrest width and 380 lbs load capacity can make anyone of any body type feel really comfortable. Classic and versatile appearance，making this chair can be perfectly placed indoors or in your garden.
- WEATHER RESISTANT AND FADE-PROOF: SERWALL Adiorndack Chair will never fade, splinter, crack, chip, peel, or rot when exposed to the elements. Lifetime money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
- COMFORTABLE SEAT: Large seat, tall backrest, and wide armrests make it a seating solution built for rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation
- LIFETIME GURANTEE: We want our users to be 100% happy and satisfied with SERWALL adirondack chair - You can always come to us for any product issue and product care at our Amazon store,lifetime money back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
- 🍂 All - Weather Material & Classic Design - Made of durable, rust-proof all-weather high-density polyethylene (hard plastic) material with a textured finish, Designed to shed rainwater easily with excellent durability
- 🍂 Different From Solid Wood Materials - Will not fade, chip, crack, peel or rot, UV protection, Able to withstand various environmental pressures, including sun, snow and strong wind (This material perfectly improves the shortcomings of solid wood)
- 🍂 Oversized Stable & Comfortable Chair - 22 inch oversized seat width, tall backrest, and wide armrests make it a seating solution built for rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation. The 375 lbs load-bearing capacity can make people of any body type truly feel at ease, This Adirondack chair is exactly what you need, it can withstand the test of all seasons
- 🍂 Convenient Cup Holder & Enjoy Time - The convenient cup holder can be unfolded (can be stored in the armrest when not in use), Make it an ideal beach chair and terrace lounge chair. Bring your favorite drink and prepare to relax on the Adirondack chair and enjoy the good time of the day
- 🍂 Unique Imitation Wood Pattern - Using the latest carving technology, so that the surface material looks more natural and has a woody feel
- 【Ideal Outdoor Seating】We chose stable high-density polyethylene(HDPE) as the main material of the lawn chairs. The 304 stainless steel hardware of the connection part is more corrosion-resistant. All this makes this chair an ideal choice for deck furniture.
- 【Multiple Color】Multiple colors are available to meet your personalized choice. The modern adirondack chairs are suitable for a variety of home styles. The outdoor folding chairs have anti-fading and anti-ultraviolet properties.
- 【Meet Daily Needs】The stable structure and perfect wrapping of the folding lawn chairs can completely relax the body. The foldable design makes the use of the outdoor chairs more flexible without being restricted by the scene.
- 【Weather Resistance】The foldable chairs are heat-resistant and cold-resistant, so they can adapt to most weather when placed outdoors. The maintenance cost is low, you only need a simple scrub to keep the outdoor adirondack chair clean. Each chair comes with a protective cover, which can be used after folding the chair to achieve storage and dust prevention.
- 【Simple Assembly】Follow the steps in the installation instruction and use simple tools to tighten the screws on each part of the outdoor patio chairs, you can quickly enjoy the 29.7"(L) x 29.7"(D) x 36.2"(H) foldable lawn chairs.
- Built to withstand a range of climates including hot sun, snowy winters, and strong coastal winds.
- Polywood lumber is a proprietary plastic containing recycled milk jugs and detergent bottles.
- Weatherproof. Will not splinter, crack, chip, peel, or rot when exposed to the elements.
- Easy to store. Folds flat for easy transportation and storage.
- Comfortable. Contoured to provide the comfortable seating expected of adirondack chairs.
Why are Adirondack chairs so expensive?
Adirondack chairs are so expensive because they stay durable and in good condition for a long time due to the strong cedar wood and craftmanship involved.
How do I protect my wooden Adirondack chairs?
Use a primer on the wood whilst it's clean before you've given it the final coat of paint. Expect to refresh the paint in future.
Are Adirondack chairs hard to make?
If you've carried out any sort of basic DIY project in the past you should not find it difficult to build an Adirondack chair and it's not time consuming either.
Are wood or plastic Adirondack chairs better?
It depends whether you want style or practicality.
Wooden chairs look much better but need maintenance over the years and will need a coat of paint.
Plastic chairs won't require priming or staining nor need repainting in future but they don't look so good in my opinion.
Last update on 2021-06-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API