It is interesting to find various DIY activities that I can engage my family in. There are several crafts activities we have achieved. I often seek to find more challenges for myself and my family.
Most recently, in discussion with my husband about giving our vinyl fence a fresh look. As I am always intrigued with all DIY activities, I researched on it to gain insight.
Indeed, you can paint your vinyl fence. I share with you my findings on what to consider before painting your vinyl fence. Additionally, I guide you through how to do it.
What is Vinyl Fence?
A vinyl fence is a great alternative to traditional wood fencing. It is made from Polyvinyl Chloride(PVC) hence is durable with a long lifespan.
They undergo all weather conditions. You can clean it easily with low maintenance. It is nonporous so you can occasionally spray it with a hose.
What to consider before painting your Vinyl Fence
You should know that a vinyl fence does not require painting. Painting is unnecessary with several valid reasons not to. Some of these reasons include:-
- The vinyl fence may no longer be low maintenance. The vinyl fence is made of PVC and designed not to require further painting. When you paint your vinyl fence, it loses its low maintenance feature as it will require you to paint it periodically. It is to keep it fresh. You effectively make it as high maintenance as a wood fence.
- Vinyl fence is nonporous. It means that most paints do not adhere well to it. It may stick for an initial period but eventually come off. You require to have a primer and ensure your paint with caution. The paint you select should be designed for vinyl products. However, you still risk the paint peeling off or the surface of the vinyl getting damaged.
- It makes the vinyl fence warranty void. Manufacturers of vinyl fences offer attractive warranty terms. However, if you paint your vinyl fence, it can damage the vinyl surface. This makes most warranties by manufacturers void. Therefore, you should go through the warranty’s terms and check on any limitations. If something is not clear, you should get in touch with the manufacturer.
How to paint your Vinyl fence
Due to its durability, the vinyl fence can serve you for quite a long time till you get bored of its color. Painting may not be necessary. However, based on your preference, you can do it.
To start off, the following are the materials you require to have if you will paint the vinyl fence yourself:-
- Paint Brushes or Paint Sprayer
- Water Hose
- Epoxy Based Exterior paint
The following are the steps to take in ensuring that you paint your vinyl fence well:-
- Counter-check that the paint is epoxy-based. The paint you use must be epoxy-based exterior paint to ensure that it gets to stick to the vinyl surface. It also slows down any growth of mold and mildew.
- Before painting anything, you have to ensure that the surface is clean. Prep the surface by using soapy water and a hose to rinse it faster. Clean it from top to bottom then leave it to dry. It should dry completely. If in a hurry, you can dry it with a hand cloth.
- Input a coat of primer to the vinyl fence. Ideally, the primer you use should have chemicals to ensure that there is no build-up of mold or mildew.
- When the primer dries, you can get to painting. You should rent a paint sprayer depending on how long the fence is. It will save you time compared to a paintbrush. Paint sprayers make the fence paint nice while having it even. The tip should be 11 inches from the vinyl fence while spraying the pickets vertically. The rails should be sprayed horizontally. The outcome is beautiful when each paint streak overlaps halfway.
- Once you paint, leave the paint to dry.
- Once the paint dries, you apply the sealer which is the last coat. A high gloss sealer ensures that it shines and prevents it from peeling off.
You should know that yes you can paint your vinyl fence. However, it is not recommended due to the following:-
- It will no longer be low maintenance
- Most paints do not adhere well with the vinyl fence
- It may void the vinyl fence warranty
If you are really in the need of fresh look and want to paint your vinyl fence then you should follow the following steps:-
- Ensure you use epoxy based exterior paint
- Clean the vinyl surface
- Add a primer to the vinyl
- Preferably use a paint sprayer to paint
- Once the paint dries, apply a sealer