DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Molds mostly thrive in warm and moist environments.
However, they can be found almost anywhere in the house. The most common place you can find molds is in the showers and the sink.
In this article, you will find out the different ways in which you can remove molds from silicone caulk.
First, let us find out what stimulates the growth of molds.
Key Steps to Removing Mold from Silicone Caulk
When you leave your silicone caulk unattended for a while, it can attract mold.
You may then develop worry since you may not know the steps to remove it.
Do not worry because removing mold from silicone caulk is not as hard as it may seem.
You need to have researched the different methods then choose one suitable for you.
Learning these methods is elementary as the steps are not complex as well. Let’s take a look at the following important steps on removing mold from silicone caulk.
You will need the following in the cleaning process:
- Cool water
- Bristled brush
- Baking soda
- Wet sponge
- White vinegar
- Piece of cloth
15 Steps To Remove Mould From Caulk
- Using three teaspoonfuls of baking soda with one cup of white vinegar, create a paste.
- Dampen the piece of cloth and use it to scoop some amount of the paste
- Apply the paste evenly on the affected area of the silicone caulk. Ensure that you create a thick layer on the wall.
- Leave it for close to five minutes.
- Using the bristled brush, scrub thoroughly on the caulk, making sure to reach every corner. This will help remove the stubborn molds sticking on the caulk.
- Using the wet sponge, rinse off the caulk until you retain the original colour. Strictly use cool water to finalize the cleaning process.
- If there are still mold stains by the end, repeat the process up to six times until your caulk is clean.
- For you to completely get rid of any lingering mold spores, use bleach and water. Mix four parts of water to one part of bleach and spray on the silicone caulk.
- Do not wipe it off or rinse it with water. Please leave it to evaporate.
- Once you are sure that the solution has evaporated, use a wet sponge to rinse it off.
- Use a towel to dry the caulk.
- Once you know how to remove mold from silicone caulk, you need to know how to stop it from recurring.
- Since molds love damp areas, regularly wash your towels and shower curtains to deny molds a place to grow.
- Make it a habit to open windows often to remove moisture from the air after showering
- Clean your bathroom regularly and your silicone caulk as well.
What Stimulates the Growth of Molds On Caulk
.Over the years, I was used to having questions on why molds choose to grow in wet places such as showers and sinks.
I never really paid much attention as my main objective was to clean and not study mold growth.
It was after I had my family and now the full responsibility of cleaning the house was mine.
I got curious and here are some of the findings I came up with.
For molds to grow, they need food just like any other organism. Mold spores are spread by air and they can also survive in very extreme conditions.
That is why it is easier for them to grow and create a habitat in places with plenty of water, such as showers.
The presence of molds in the shower; can be so disgusting. It would help if you came up with a quick solution on how to remove them.
It is easy for molds to grow on walls because they love to feed on cellulose the most. Cellulose can be found on wood, drywall or paper.
The mold in your shower caulk is spreading faster because of the presence of moisture, oxygen, heat, low light and high humidity. These are the perfect conditions for the growth of molds.
The caulk in your shower provides all these conditions and in addition, it also contains cellulose.
I used to have a hard time removing them on the shower caulk since, after some time, they would grow back.
My family members, especially my children, would dread taking a shower in the bathroom due to the presence of these molds.
One important thing you should not overlook is leaving them uncontrolled. Molds will grow and begin to germinate, making the situation worse, especially if your bathroom is warm and dark.
I had to assess and understand what was the main cause of their growth. I realized that the leak in my bathroom and also wet clothes were the main contributors.
That’s How To Remove Mould From Caulk
In conclusion, first understand the causes of mold growth on your silicone caulk.
Then go through the different methods you can use to remove the mold and choose one that is suitable and safe.
Do not fail to read and understand instructions carefully before using chemical solutions such as ammonia.