If you have ever tried removing paint or a layer of varnish using sandpaper, then you’ll know how difficult it can be.
However, there is another way that you can do this often very labor-intensive, time-consuming job.
If you get a liquid sander deglosser, then you can remove these layers of paint or wooden varnish with no issue at all.
All you have to do is wipe this stuff across the surface of a table or your furniture.
But where can you get this fluid from? How can you apply it effectively? Will it damage your surface and reduce its original color?
Well, if you want the answer to these questions and a lot more, then you should keep reading.
List Of Best Liquid Deglossers
OUR TOP PICK
Choose this if you want a liquid deglosser that works on multiple surfaces, is easy to apply, leaves no stains, has no chemical odours, safe to use around children, and is non flammible.
Our first liquid deglosser is one that works on many types of surfaces including polyurethane, lacquer, enamel and wood stain.
This liquid works effectively and does not leave any stains on your surface.
This comes with a water-based formula that will not leave any chemical stains or odor after you’ve applied it.
This makes it safe to use around your young children.
This fluid is completely non-flammable, which will give you peace of mind if you are either leaving your furniture around or are working near a naked flame.
This is non-corrosive, so it will not erode the surface of your table or furniture.
This will be very important if you are trying to remove the gloss for a renovation project.
This is a great liquid deglosser if you are looking to revitalize your old cabinet or looking to overhaul a door that might have succumbed to wood mold or rot.
This is a very cheap liquid and very easy to apply to your surfaces.
All you have to do is apply a thick coat of this and wait for it to remove all of your varnishes.
- Easy to apply - this is one of the easiest glossers that you can use, all you have to do is apply it with a thick brush.
- This comes with no corrosive ingredients, so you won’t have to worry about it irreparably tarnishing the surface of your furniture.
- Water-based - this is completely safe, coming with no harmful ingredients. This will definitely give you peace of mind, especially if you are using it on your table.
- Non-flammable - if you want something that you can keep in humid conditions, then this is the liquid for you.
- This could contain harmful materials - some users have claimed that this liquid does contain carcinogenic material.
Choose this if you want a liquid deglosser that removes grease and dirt, is biodegradable, a strong cleaning agent, non toxic, and will protect for years to come.
If you are looking for something that will remove grease and grime and give your table a shiny new coat of protective varnish, then this is the product for you.
This is made from a biodegradable formula, so you won’t have to worry about it harming the environment if you are ethically conscious.
This is a very robust cleaning agent which is great for cleaning tables that might have been neglected to gather dust for many years.
This is completely non-toxic, again another incentive to use it in a family environment.
You won’t have to worry about it causing skin irritation.
This will help you prepare any wooden surfaces for repainting or revarnishing.
All you have to do is apply a thick coat to the surface and wait for a few hours.
This is very easy to apply and you won’t really need that many tools aside from a sturdy brush to do so.
This is a great lacquer for anyone who likes to renovate furniture.
This can be used either in the home or for hardcore carpentry jobs.
There are many people who work with renovating furniture who have sworn by this product, saying that it cleans effectively with no chemical after-effects.
- Non-toxic - this will not cause you any skin irritation or other issues. If you are looking for something that will be safe to use around young children, then this is the deglosser for you.
- Biodegradable - if you are looking for something that will not harm the environment, then this is a great deglosser to have.
- Can be used in different situations - whether it is in the home or in your office, you’ll be able to replace your table varnish no matter what.
- Cleans grim fast - this stuff will be able to clean grime from your table very quickly, which is great if you are working to a deadline.
- Complaints of skin and eye irritation - some users have complained about an allergic reaction to this stuff, so always wear eye goggles when using it.
Choose this if you want a liquid deglosser that is water based, non toxic, eco freindly, non flammable, will seal the wood and varnish the top layer, and has no lingering odor.
This deglosser is another water-based solution that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a decent furniture overhaul.
This stuff is non-toxic and very easy to apply.
This formula is not only completely eco-friendly, but it is also non-flammable.
Often products such as these are very corrosive and will be prone to damaging your furniture, so having a solution like this will be perfect for renovation projects where care is ideal.
You can use this as a pre-paint solution before you apply the new coat of paint.
This will keep the wood underneath completely sealed as well as remove the top layer of the original varnish.
You won’t have to wipe this one down when you are finished and you won’t have to rinse it either.
This is a great lacquer that you can use for your furniture restoration project.
This also does not come with any corrosive ingredients, which is perfect if you are going to be applying this solution to children.
- This deglosser is great for cleaning cabinets - Not only will it remove even the most stubborn grease, but it will also give you a great foundation for applying a new coat of paint.
- This paint is very eco-friendly - if you are concerned about the environment, then we would definitely recommend that you use this deglosser.
- Robust - this is one of the harshest cleaning agents on the market, giving you everything you need to form a completely smooth surface.
- No lingering odor - if you are worried about the harsh chemicals and any lingering smell, then this is the deglosser for you.
- Expensive - with a lot of features comes a much higher price. If you are looking to save a few dollars, then we would suggest something cheaper.
This next deglosser is completely free from chlorine with a water-based solution that you can guarantee won’t leave you with any streak marks or corrosion.
This will remove a whole host of lacquers, varnishes, epoxies and polyurethane finishes.
This is great for use on metal, wood, plastic and other surfaces.
There is plenty of fluid in this container, enough to cover around 25 square feet of metal or whatever surface that you happen to be applying it to.
You can use this to remove multiple layers of old paint or varnish. It will act quickly and effectively in just one coat.
You can also use this deglosser on old masonry, which is great if you are trying to renovate a part of your house that needs the old layer of paint stripped off first.
This comes in a sturdy metal container that you can keep in the garage for months at a time without worrying about your deglosser going gloopy or the lid being sealed up.
- Easy to apply - if you haven’t used a deglosser before or you are worried about how you can apply it, then this can of deglosser comes with some very simple instructions.
- Works on several layers - you can use this one to peel away many layers at a time, which is great for much more hardcore renovation tasks
- Value for money - you get over 3 liters of this stripper for a great price. If you want to save money, then this is the one for you.
- Can be used on multiple surfaces - whether it is glass, metal or brick, this deglosser can be used to strip and recoat any surface.
- Expensive - despite how much you get in a canister, this could still be seen as pretty pricey by someone who is only going to use the deglosser on a small-scale project.
This next paint stripper is another very effective one, also capable of stripping many layers in one go.
This comes in a hefty drum that you can use multiple times on small jobs or in one go for a big job.
It is easy to apply - all you have to do is unscrew the cap and you’ll be ready to go.
This will work over a space of 24 hours, which means that you will get full and thorough degreasing.
This is great if you are trying to remove long-term stubborn stains like oil or grease.
This can be sued to strip away a layer of old paint before you start applying it to a layer of new paint.
This will work much more effectively than sanding.
This will remove latex as well as paint, which is a testament to the efficiency of this product.
It can also be used on masonry and hard wood surface, which are often the hardest to clean, no matter how much sandpaper you use.
This liquid is also very reasonably priced, giving you quite a lot in your tub for the price that you pay.
- Works great on masonry - if you are looking to remove an old layer of paint from the wall of your house, then this is a great paint stripper to have.
- Strips multiple layers - if you are looking to get rid of lots of paint layers, then this is perfect. Great for renovating projects that have had a number of paint jobs.
- Citrus scented - this will leave the sugary sweet scent of citrus over it rather than any chemical smell that you might be used to.
- Active for 24 hours - this stuff will stay active for a whole day, really getting rid of the nasty grit and grime that covers the surface of your furniture or house front.
- This does not work well with automotive car finishes, which will make it very difficult if you are working on restoring an old car.
This final wood restorer is a bit more old school, mainly used on wood, this will restore any old furniture such as cabinets, desks or door frames.
This will do well to blend out scratches and abrasions.
This works on a lot of different types of wood, from mahogany, dark wood, maple, cherry, walnut and golden oak.
This is great if you are going to be working on more than one of these woods.
This will restore the wood to its natural state while also removing the varnish and grime that can accumulate on the surface.
All you have to do with this one is simply wipe it on and then wipe it off.
It is very easy to use and will really be perfect for anyone to whom DIY does not come naturally.
This varnish comes in a hardy steel canister that will not succumb to temperature changes that easily.
This is great if you are looking to store it in your garage for further use.
- Removes scratches and abrasions - if you are looking to remove the superficial marks from your antique furniture, then this is the deglosser to use.
- Strips very quickly - if you are looking to get rid of your top layer of paint within the hour, then we would recommend this product.
- Durable - this gloss will stay on your furniture for a long time and works well on a wide range of woods.
- Great for restoring wooden musical instruments - if you are looking to put some shine back in that old piano, then you should try using this deglosser.
- Only works on wood surfaces - if you are working with any surface other than wood, then you’ll need to pick another deglosser.
When you are shopping for your next liquid sander, there will need to be a few things that you are looking out for.
It will need to give your furniture a clean finish without removing any of the texture from your surfaces. Here are a few things you’ll be watching out for:
Does It Remove Stubborn Stains?
This is one question that you’ll need to be asking yourself, especially if you are wanting to preserve the original sheen of your object.
You’ll also want to remove stubborn stains without removing any of the original paintwork.
You’ll want a non-corrosive formula that does not damage the surface.
Does It Work On Multiple Surfaces?
If you are looking to restore multiple surfaces, then it will be important to find a deglosser where this is stated.
You can get some deglossers that only really work on wood, whereas others can be used on wood, metal, plastic, lacquer, laminate and PVC.
If you are working on a small-scale renovation project, then it is likely that you’ll be wanting a deglosser like M-1 Paint Deglosser that only targets that one surface.
However, if you are a carpenter and you are used to dealing with multiple objects, then an all-purpose deglosser like Citristrip QCSG801 Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel will probably be more suitable.
Is It Toxic?
There are plenty of deglossers on the market that remove grime and old paint with corrosive substances, but this is not the case with a lot of the liquids that we have listed above.
If you are working with a family, it will also be important that you are using a non-toxic deglosser.
This will go double if you are working on a table or other surface that will later be supporting food.
Is It Made By A Renowned Brand?
A trusted company is always very important if you are buying a heavy-duty product such as a deglosser.
Getting these from a trusted source will guarantee that the product has been tried and tested.
You should also consult reviews when you are shopping for a deglosser, as they will most likely tell you how well the product works, as well as show you pictures of the final results.
Howard is a trusted brand and comes with plenty of great reviews, so if you want something trustworthy, we would recommend Howard RF4008 RF008 Restor-A-Finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Should I Have To Pay For A Deglosser?
You shouldn’t have to pay more than $50 for a decent deglosser, although it will always depend on how much you buy.
Will A Deglosser Remove Paint?
Yes, most of the deglossers that we have listed above also remove paint.
However, you’ll need to make sure that this is stated on the tin before you buy it.
What Surfaces Do A Deglosser Work On?
A: You can get deglossers that work on metal, wood, plastic and polyurethane.
It should state on the side of the canister exactly what materials your deglosser will work on the best.
So What's The Best Liquid Sander Deglosser?
When it comes to sheer size, the quality of the material and the multitude of materials that it can work on the Citristrip QCSG801 Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel is probably the best of the bunch on this list.
However, if it is cheap and non-corrosive that you are looking for, then the Klean Strip QWN285 Easy Liquid Sander would be your best bet.
Last update on 2023-12-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API