Having the right saw for your DIY project can be a blessing sometimes. It takes a perfect saw to accurately complete the task at hand smoothly and efficiently.
Also, having an ideal saw means that you have the saw‘s full detail, from why it is best to how it works.
After I got the best solution to my saw problem, I thought it is best to share my journey to success.
The challenge comes from selecting two of the best saw in the market: Miter saw (many under $200 here), and radial arm saw.
Therefore, for beginners to solve this dilemma, I prepared a comparison summary below on both saws.
Below is the difference between the uses, benefits, features, disadvantages, and advantages of both tools.
Radial arm saw
The radial saw is mounted with a circular saw on the horizontal arm. This tool was made purposely to cut limbs or large wood logs.
Nowadays, radial arm saw is becoming less and less popular.
However, there are some features and properties that make this tool remain relevant to many professional woodcutters.
Features of the radial arm saw
• Externally installed safety features
• It can operate using 12 to 22 blade dia
• The cutting device is circular
• Ability to add additional fence on the existing one
• It provides a versatile use. Therefore, you will do other woodwork projects like drum sanding, routing, and board levelling.
• This tool is an idea for any crosscutting of thick limber.
• A radial arm saw can cut through more complex and heavy wood.
• It requires a small space for storage.
• Highly expensive
• Fewer safety features
• They are becoming obsolete
It is a cutting device that contains a circular cutting blade making it portable and precise in wood cutting.
This saw is unique as it includes an effective and efficient side and slit fence. It is the most powerful tool available in the market.
Miter saw it is best for trimming, but it can be used for things like a miter, crosscut, compound cut, and bevel.
Features of miter saw
• Depth stop
• Availability of clamps
• Side fence
• Blade sizes from 8 to 12-inch dia
• Works on a motorised system
• In-built locking system
• It offers an exact cutting work
• You can use it for angular wood cutting projects
• The safety features in the tool make it best to use regardless of the experience level
• It is portable
• Cheap hence affordable
• Cannot cut through the heavy wood
• Required an extensive space
• Less powerful
Which is the best saw to use, Radial Arm or Miter?
Miter saw has more advantages over radial arm saw, which is better in cross-cutting work only.
A radial arm saw is a dangerous tool to work with, especially if you have no experience in the project.
Although you may need a radial saw to crosscut wood, you cannot get any trimming and shaping alternative for the lumber.
Miter saw are an upgrade of cutting devices that contains the most effective and precise engineering tech.
This type of wood cutting device can offer you many significant advantages in all your wood cutting model.
- 3 SIDED RAZOR TEETH FOR EFFICIENT CUTTING: 10" blade is ideal for cutting 5" - 6" diameter, small to medium, branches
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED, COMFORTABLE, CO-MOLDED HANDLE: Provides a comfortable grip for extended use
- EASY TO LATCH BLADE PREVENTS INJURY WHEN NOT IN USE: Folding blade is curved, taper-ground, and replaceable
- IMPULSE HARDENED TEETH FOR LONG SERVICE LIFE: Extends the life of the tool season after season
- UP TO 6 TEETH PER INCH AND CURVED BLADE DESIGN FOR FASTER CUTTING: Cuts are smoother and quicker than a traditional saw.
- Powerful 15-amp motor delivers 5 300-RPM for greater speed and faster cuts
- 7-1 4-inch carbide-tipped blade included. Spindle lock for easy blade changes.
- 51° bevel capacity with a positive stop at 45° for a wide variety of cuts
- Dust blower keeps line-of-cut free of sawdust for improved visibility
- Safety lock/guarded trigger and power-on indicator minimize accidental starts
- MOTOR: 15 Amp motor delivers high power for the toughest of cuts generating a no-load speed of up to 5,000 RPM
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Only 24.2 lbs. to facilitate maneuverability and portability
- MITER ANGLE RANGE: 0-52 degrees, to the right and left for increased flexibility
- BEVEL RANGE: 0-45 degrees, to the left with adjustable bevel stops for precision cuts
- LARGE TABLE: Offers better material support with vice clamping system to secure work piece
- Brushless motor of the cordless jigsaw delivers efficient performance for longer runtime (vs. DCS331 Jig Saw)
- Compact size for easy grip and maximum control of the jig saw
- Bright LED on the jigsaw tool helps illuminate dimly lit work surfaces
- Variable speed trigger and dial provide precise speed control
- All-metal, lever-action keyless blade change allows for quick and easy t-shank blade changes
- Kickback Prevention: FeatherPRO virtually arrests kickback. EVA material combines with our living hinge design to pinch board against the fence and absorb kickback forces. 5x greater kickback resistance versus plastic or wood feathers.
- Ultimate Feed Control: EVA feathers increase the amount of surface contact on the work piece, ensuring a smooth glide and superior infeed control. Substantially reduces wiggle you get with plastic feathers.
- Cleanest Cut: EVA Feathers absorb vibration and minimize chatter for a cleaner cut. Feathers are non-marring on even the softest woods.
- EVA Feathers and Safety: Feathers are reversible, replaceable, and interchangeable. FeatherPRO is versatile in that you can switch out between Standard and UltraFLEX Feathers. Feathers will NOT harm carbide blades or router bits in case of accidental contact. Feathers conform slightly to the wood. EVA will NOT set off Saw Stop. EVA will NOT absorb fluid as it is a closed cell material. EVA will NOT bleed color or shed material.
- AnchorPRO Hardware: FeatherPRO uses our patented AnchorPRO miter hardware that offers fast expansion and super strong hold in the miter slot. T Bolt is used as the expansion bolt in the miter bar. Use T Bolt for T Track mounts. Comfortable Ergonomic Knobs.
Radial Arm Saw Vs Miter Saw: What’s The Difference And Whats Better?
Therefore, when selecting the right saw for your project, you need to consider your needs first.
Also, you can choose the perfect saw based on your preference and affordability.
Considering all the features, advantages, and disadvantages of both tools can help you make the right decision.
Last update on 2022-11-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API