I love using Midi lathes since there offer adequate motor power in the right size and a comfortable price range.
According to my research and finding, 40% of full size and mini lathes uses Midi lathes as their main wood lathe.
The market is full of Midi lathes.
The only thing you need to do is to select the right one for your wood activities.
Below I have listed some of the best 3 Midi lathes you can get and experience the best time when dealing with woodturning (if you’re interested in the best bowl turning lathes then read this)
1. JET Midi Lathe with Variable Speed
It’s a 12inch variable-speed device that even brings its own innovation to the table with a patent-pending ratchet style belt tension system that no other midi lathe offers.
It’s a bowl-turner that has an easy-to-use speed control system.
This allows you to precisely operate the machine as needed, making it ideal for professionals.
1. It’s simple to switch from forward to reverse.
2. includes a belt tensioning device that works like a ratchet (patent pending)
3. The ingenious ratchet-style belt is convenient and ensures the exact amount of force required.
4. It takes a few minutes to get used to it.
1. For a midi lathe, one horsepower is plenty of power.
2. The dual tool rests are really useful.
3. An easily adjustable speed range with a wide range of speeds
4. Cast iron is a long-lasting material.
5. Forward and reverse transitions are seamless.
1. It’s expensive
This lathe is fantastic; however, the company’s quality control might be improved, as many clients have fault issues that must be corrected or returned to the company from the outset.
Why I Like It
It is unique in that it is composed of solid cast iron.
It’s one of the best wood lathes on the market, with excellent speed control and a level of efficiency that’s hard to beat.
2. Wen 3421 Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe with Variable Speed
1. It is used for small workpieces such as Pens, bowls, cups, chess pieces.
Workpieces up to 12 inches long and 8 inches wide can be accommodated.
From 750 to 3200 RPM, the soft start variable speed motor can be adjusted.
Two interchangeable tool rests a 2.3-inch faceplate, an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper, and an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper.
1. Benchtop small lathe with a low cost
2. Spur center and tailstock taper are of high quality.
3. Optimal speed and a good range
4. Design with a gentle start
5. Pen and spindle turning is simple to do.
1. Don’t expect to be able to perform everything you could on a full-size wood lathe because it’s small (find the best wood lathe chuck here)
Why I Like It
It is ideal for basic and small projects.
It has a budget-friendly model that features dependable speed ranges, a simple speed controller, and all of the swing capacity you’ll need in a portable lathe.
This is an excellent choice for both beginners and little jobs.
3. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16
1. It is an upgrade of ¾ HP 70-100.
1. It has more motor power and torque to stand toe to toe with some of the other lathes.
1. It is approximately 120lbs
2. Has LED display
3. 24 position index head
4. Forward or reverse function
5. 1-inch diameter tool rest
6. Digital RPM readout
7. Side safety on the on/off switch
Advantages and disadvantages
1. Below are some of the likes and dislikes of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16.
1. The 1 HP motor is as strong as any full-size wood lathe and gives plenty of power.
2. Midi lathe has a variable speed range of 450 to 3,500 RPM
3. the cast iron base that is both durable and sturdy
4. With an extensible spindle lock, you can increase capacity.
1. Although the control panel isn’t of the highest quality, it does the job.
2. The controller circuit can fail sometimes.
1. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16
Why I Like It
1. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 is the greatest because it has safety on the on/off unit.
2. You can use Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 for metalwork to stand toe to toe with other lathes.
3. The key features of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 are: it is approximately 120lbs, has LED display, 24 position index head, forward or reverse function, 1-inch diameter tool rest, digital RPM readout, side safety on the on/off switch.
4. The main advantages of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 are: strong motor, gives plenty of power, the midi lathe has a variable speed range of 450 to 3,500 RPM, cast iron base that is both durable and sturdy, with an extensible spindle lock, you can increase capacity.
5. The main disadvantage of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 is the fact that the Controller circuit can fail sometimes.
6. The popular brand is Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16.
Best Midi Wood Lathes
- KWL-1218VS replaces TCLC12VS. ETL Listed and certified by Intertek.
- Powered by 1hp Variable Speed high performance induction motor(120V-60HZ) & an SBC microprocessor. Two belt positions: 500-1800 RPM & 1950-3800 RPM.
- Headstock Thread 1" x 8tpi. Headstock/Tailstock Taper #2MT. Distance between Centers 18". Swing over Bed 12". Cast iron base.
- Tailstock & Spindle Bore 3/8". Quill Travel 1-5/8". (24) indexing positions with spindle locking. Convenient built-in handles.
- See Description below for all of the included parts.
- COMPACT TURNING: 15-1/2" between centers.
- IDEAL SPEED RANGES: Choose from six spindle speeds (500/840/1,240/1,800/2,630/3,975).
- IMPROVED TENSIONING SYSTEM: Easier access to belts.
- INCREASED RIGIDITY: Wider bed ways.
- OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES: Expand your turning capability with a 21" Bed Extension (719101), Stand (719102A), and Stand Extension (719103A).
- SECURE HOLDING: Positive locking tool rest with redesigned clamping.
- MAXIMUM VARIABILITY: Sliding headstock pivots 360 degrees with seven positive locking positions.
- SMOOTH MOVEMENT Tailstock features Acme threads.
- IDEAL SPEED: Infinitely variable speeds from 400 to 3,000 RPM.
- ADDED SAFETY: On/Off switch with safety key.
- NEW* Replacement Rubber Belt
- Craftsman Drive Belt 30936.00 for Midi Wood Lathe
- Best Deals BY West Coast Resale
- Authentic Easy Wood Tools 100% manufactured in the USA by the leader in carbide insert lathe woodturnings technology
- Ci2-SQ cutter designed to fit Easy Start, Mini and Mid size roughers; .430" x .070"; 4-40 screw.
- The perfect grade of carbide produces the best combination of sharpness and durability
- Optimal grinding process produces the flattest and truest cutting surfaces
- The right geometry or cutting angle is ground to the produce an edge the cuts cleanly and safely.
Last update on 2021-08-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API