I love using Midi lathes since there offer adequate motor power in the right size and a comfortable price range.
According to my research and finding, 40% of full size and mini lathes uses Midi lathes as their main wood lathe.
The market is full of Midi lathes.
The only thing you need to do is to select the right one for your wood activities.
Below I have listed some of the best 3 Midi lathes you can get and experience the best time when dealing with woodturning (if you’re interested in the best bowl turning lathes then read this)
Our Best Midi Lathe Choices
1. JET Midi Lathe with Variable Speed
It’s a 12inch variable-speed device that even brings its own innovation to the table with a patent-pending ratchet style belt tension system that no other midi lathe offers.
It’s a bowl-turner that has an easy-to-use speed control system.
This allows you to precisely operate the machine as needed, making it ideal for professionals.
1. It’s simple to switch from forward to reverse.
2. includes a belt tensioning device that works like a ratchet (patent pending)
3. The ingenious ratchet-style belt is convenient and ensures the exact amount of force required.
4. It takes a few minutes to get used to it.
1. For a midi lathe, one horsepower is plenty of power.
2. The dual tool rests are really useful.
3. An easily adjustable speed range with a wide range of speeds
4. Cast iron is a long-lasting material.
5. Forward and reverse transitions are seamless.
1. It’s expensive
This lathe is fantastic; however, the company’s quality control might be improved, as many clients have fault issues that must be corrected or returned to the company from the outset.
Why I Like It
It is unique in that it is composed of solid cast iron.
It’s one of the best wood lathes on the market, with excellent speed control and a level of efficiency that’s hard to beat.
2. Wen 3421 Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe with Variable Speed
1. It is used for small workpieces such as Pens, bowls, cups, chess pieces.
Workpieces up to 12 inches long and 8 inches wide can be accommodated.
From 750 to 3200 RPM, the soft start variable speed motor can be adjusted.
Two interchangeable tool rests a 2.3-inch faceplate, an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper, and an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper.
1. Benchtop small lathe with a low cost
2. Spur center and tailstock taper are of high quality.
3. Optimal speed and a good range
4. Design with a gentle start
5. Pen and spindle turning is simple to do.
1. Don’t expect to be able to perform everything you could on a full-size wood lathe because it’s small (find the best wood lathe chuck here)
Why I Like It
It is ideal for basic and small projects.
It has a budget-friendly model that features dependable speed ranges, a simple speed controller, and all of the swing capacity you’ll need in a portable lathe.
This is an excellent choice for both beginners and little jobs.
- Perfect for cutting, sanding, polishing, shaping, drilling, deburring, grinding and more
- Variable speed goes anywhere from 8,000 to 30,000 RPM
- Includes an 80-piece accessory set of bits, sanding discs, polishing pads, mandrels and more
- Onboard spindle lock makes for quick and easy bit changes. 2.3mm & 3.2mm collets
- Attach the included flex shaft for jobs requiring intricate detail and precision
3. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16
1. It is an upgrade of ¾ HP 70-100.
1. It has more motor power and torque to stand toe to toe with some of the other lathes.
1. It is approximately 120lbs
2. Has LED display
3. 24 position index head
4. Forward or reverse function
5. 1-inch diameter tool rest
6. Digital RPM readout
7. Side safety on the on/off switch
Advantages and disadvantages
1. Below are some of the likes and dislikes of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16.
1. The 1 HP motor is as strong as any full-size wood lathe and gives plenty of power.
2. Midi lathe has a variable speed range of 450 to 3,500 RPM
3. the cast iron base that is both durable and sturdy
4. With an extensible spindle lock, you can increase capacity.
1. Although the control panel isn’t of the highest quality, it does the job.
2. The controller circuit can fail sometimes.
1. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16
Why I Like It
1. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 is the greatest because it has safety on the on/off unit.
2. You can use Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 for metalwork to stand toe to toe with other lathes.
3. The key features of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 are: it is approximately 120lbs, has LED display, 24 position index head, forward or reverse function, 1-inch diameter tool rest, digital RPM readout, side safety on the on/off switch.
4. The main advantages of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 are: strong motor, gives plenty of power, the midi lathe has a variable speed range of 450 to 3,500 RPM, cast iron base that is both durable and sturdy, with an extensible spindle lock, you can increase capacity.
5. The main disadvantage of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 is the fact that the Controller circuit can fail sometimes.
6. The popular brand is Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16.
Best Midi Wood Lathes
- [Clamping Range] Black 0.6 - 8mm , Silver 0.3 - 3.6mm The Chuck is small size and light weight, which will not bring extra burden to your operation
- [Quick Change] 1/4 inch hex shank fits into power tools more easily and securely
- Easily convert your cordless power screwdriver into a drill to quickly switch between different tasks reducing the amount of time needed for a project
- [Material] Carbon steel
- [Guarantee] Here at Rirui-tool we only care about your satisfaction. We try our best to ensure each product is in perfect condition before you get it, but if something is not up to your satisfaction, please contact us for a full refund or replacement
- Provides hands-free operation to any woodworking tool
- Press down on the foot pedal to start your machine and release to stop
- Installs easily with textured surface to prevent slipping during operation
- Handles 120 volt machines up to 15 amps in size
- The perfect companion for scroll saws, sanders, wood lathes, rotary tools, drill presses, and more
- Ideal chisel kit for turning pens pepper mills spindles bowls and lots more woodturning projects of all sizes
- Each chisel measures 16-1/4" in length with a 6-1/4" M2 High Speed Steel blade and a 10" hardwood turned handles
- Set includes (8) chisels 3/16" Parting Tool 5/8" Spear Scraper 1" Skew Chisel 5/8" Skew Chisel 5/8" Round Nose Scraper 1/2" Bowl Gouge 3/4" Spindle Gouge 7/8" Roughing Gouge
- Includes wooden case for storage and carrying
- Great for woodworkers woodturners and penturners of all skill levels
- Big Horn outside calipers is a useful measurement transfer tool when working with round stock or oddly shaped materials and then transferring that measurement to a ruler
- Big Horn inside calipers are great for gauging the inner diameter of an opening and then transferring that measurement to a ruler
- Big Horn flat leg dividers is a useful measurement transfer tool for uneven surfaces; Also great for a variety of uses such as tracing contours and scribing circles into metal
- Hardened and tempered bow springs and fulcrum spools assure uniform tension without side play while using this caliper set
- The forged steel legs feature hardened points for precise marking of the work piece | An adjusting screw has a self-seating washer and nut to permit quick and positive adjustment
- Includes the 1/2" Drill Chuck, #2 Morse Taper Arbor, and Jaw Tightening Key
- This 3-Jaw Chuck will mount into the headstock or tailstock of any lathe that accepts #2MT accessories
- The #2MT Arbor accepts 1/4" x 20tpi draw bolt; Draw bolt not included
- Removes easily with knock out bar
- Great for holding drill bits, small turnings, dowels, pen mandrel shafts, and much more
Last update on 2022-06-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API