I love using Midi lathes since there offer adequate motor power in the right size and a comfortable price range.
According to my research and finding, 40% of full size and mini lathes uses Midi lathes as their main wood lathe.
The market is full of Midi lathes.
The only thing you need to do is to select the right one for your wood activities.
Below I have listed some of the best 3 Midi lathes you can get and experience the best time when dealing with woodturning (if you’re interested in the best bowl turning lathes then read this)
Our Best Midi Lathe Choices
1. JET Midi Lathe with Variable Speed
It’s a 12inch variable-speed device that even brings its own innovation to the table with a patent-pending ratchet style belt tension system that no other midi lathe offers.
It’s a bowl-turner that has an easy-to-use speed control system.
This allows you to precisely operate the machine as needed, making it ideal for professionals.
1. It’s simple to switch from forward to reverse.
2. includes a belt tensioning device that works like a ratchet (patent pending)
3. The ingenious ratchet-style belt is convenient and ensures the exact amount of force required.
4. It takes a few minutes to get used to it.
1. For a midi lathe, one horsepower is plenty of power.
2. The dual tool rests are really useful.
3. An easily adjustable speed range with a wide range of speeds
4. Cast iron is a long-lasting material.
5. Forward and reverse transitions are seamless.
1. It’s expensive
This lathe is fantastic; however, the company’s quality control might be improved, as many clients have fault issues that must be corrected or returned to the company from the outset.
Why I Like It
It is unique in that it is composed of solid cast iron.
It’s one of the best wood lathes on the market, with excellent speed control and a level of efficiency that’s hard to beat.
- TOP PICK BY POPULAR WOODWORKING MAGAZINE FOR 2021 GIFT GUIDE- Crafted of our specialized waxed canvas blend to give you year after year of DURABLE PROTECTION from DIY sawdust, stains and sticky substances. Save your clothes and KEEP YOURSELF CLEAN with this handcrafted custom-dyed 16 oz waxed canvas.
- UPGRADED AND UNIQUE APRON DESIGN - These work aprons have a range of fantastic features you'll love, including steel rivets/grommets, cross-back straps to relieve back pressure, and two 7" x 7" reinforced front pockets with flaps you can easily tuck in. Made to be breathable yet durable, this double-stitched carpenter apron has removable shoulder pads for comfort, convenient cell phone pocket and a QUICK RELEASE BUCKLE
- TRUSTED BY 30,000+ PROFESSIONALS- Woodworkers, Machinists, Craftsmen, DIY'ers and Homeowners alike dig this apron for the quality of the product and it's distinctive, gift-ready packaging. Use as a machinist apron, carpenter apron, workshop apron, great as a woodworking tool or accessory and an awesome gift for the man who has everything!
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL - These aprons are made with a one-size-fits-all design that accommodates sizes M-XL. Measuring a generous 27” in width and 34” in height, our waxed canvas aprons offer you a universal fit with super-long straps that can accommodate a waist size of up to 50”.
- COMPLETE SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - At Texas Canvas Wares we’re dedicated to giving you an apron you’ll love and use for years to come. We want you to BUY WITH PEACE OF MIND, and that’s why we offer you our 30 Day A-Grade Apron Money Back Guarantee on every purchase!
2. Wen 3421 Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe with Variable Speed
1. It is used for small workpieces such as Pens, bowls, cups, chess pieces.
Workpieces up to 12 inches long and 8 inches wide can be accommodated.
From 750 to 3200 RPM, the soft start variable speed motor can be adjusted.
Two interchangeable tool rests a 2.3-inch faceplate, an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper, and an MT1 spindle and tailstock taper.
1. Benchtop small lathe with a low cost
2. Spur center and tailstock taper are of high quality.
3. Optimal speed and a good range
4. Design with a gentle start
5. Pen and spindle turning is simple to do.
1. Don’t expect to be able to perform everything you could on a full-size wood lathe because it’s small (find the best wood lathe chuck here)
Why I Like It
It is ideal for basic and small projects.
It has a budget-friendly model that features dependable speed ranges, a simple speed controller, and all of the swing capacity you’ll need in a portable lathe.
This is an excellent choice for both beginners and little jobs.
- Unique design accepts blades in two directions (standard and 90 degrees) to allow for infinite ripping capacity
- Variable speed goes from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute
- Spacious 16-by-11-inch table bevels up to 45 degrees to the left for angled cuts
- Cuts wood up to 2 inches thick with a 16-inch throat depth in the standard position
- Features a thumb screw blade adapter for tool-free blade changes, a cast iron base, an air pump, a flex light, a dust port, a foot lock clamp, onboard storage, and three blades
3. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16
1. It is an upgrade of ¾ HP 70-100.
1. It has more motor power and torque to stand toe to toe with some of the other lathes.
1. It is approximately 120lbs
2. Has LED display
3. 24 position index head
4. Forward or reverse function
5. 1-inch diameter tool rest
6. Digital RPM readout
7. Side safety on the on/off switch
Advantages and disadvantages
1. Below are some of the likes and dislikes of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16.
1. The 1 HP motor is as strong as any full-size wood lathe and gives plenty of power.
2. Midi lathe has a variable speed range of 450 to 3,500 RPM
3. the cast iron base that is both durable and sturdy
4. With an extensible spindle lock, you can increase capacity.
1. Although the control panel isn’t of the highest quality, it does the job.
2. The controller circuit can fail sometimes.
1. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16
Why I Like It
1. Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 is the greatest because it has safety on the on/off unit.
2. You can use Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 for metalwork to stand toe to toe with other lathes.
3. The key features of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 are: it is approximately 120lbs, has LED display, 24 position index head, forward or reverse function, 1-inch diameter tool rest, digital RPM readout, side safety on the on/off switch.
4. The main advantages of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 are: strong motor, gives plenty of power, the midi lathe has a variable speed range of 450 to 3,500 RPM, cast iron base that is both durable and sturdy, with an extensible spindle lock, you can increase capacity.
5. The main disadvantage of Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16 is the fact that the Controller circuit can fail sometimes.
6. The popular brand is Rikon Midi VSR Lathe 12 x 16.
Best Midi Wood Lathes
- New Version: Genmitsu Cnc 3018-Pro Is An Upgraded Version Of 3018. All Components Do Not Need To Be Positioned, Which Greatly Reduces The Difficulty Of Assembly And Improves The Working Accuracy. The Base Height Is Raised To 4Cm For Better Stability. Capable Of Cutting All Types Of Plastics, Soft Aluminum, Woods, Acrylics, Pvcs, And Pcbs, The Genmitsu Can Be Used On A Wide Range Of Projects And Materials
- Upgraded Power Adapter: Ul Approved And Out-Of-The-Box Support For The Drop In 20,000Rpm Spindle, No Need To Modify G-Code To Ramp Up To Full Speed
- Controller Software: The Genmitsu 3018-Pro Uses Grbl, A High-Performance Open-Source Software For Controlling Movement, And Runs On Arduino. Its Dependability And Simplicity Make Grbl An Industry Standard, So There’S No Lack Of Support And Resources Available When You Get Stuck. Includes Carveco Maker Cam Design Software And Candle For Controlling Your Machine And Running Your Gcode Design Files
- Optional Upgraded Parts: Super Size Your 3018 Cnc To A 3040 By Getting A Genmitsu 3040 Y-Axis Extension Kit (B08P2S3Jwp). The 3040 Aluminum Spoilboard (B08Vnlp24C) And 3040 Mdf Spoilboard (B08Wz8Rv3Y) For This Extension Kit Are Also Available To Buy
- Ideal chisel kit for turning pens pepper mills spindles bowls and lots more woodturning projects of all sizes
- Each chisel measures 16-1/4" in length with a 6-1/4" M2 High Speed Steel blade and a 10" hardwood turned handles
- Set includes (8) chisels 3/16" Parting Tool 5/8" Spear Scraper 1" Skew Chisel 5/8" Skew Chisel 5/8" Round Nose Scraper 1/2" Bowl Gouge 3/4" Spindle Gouge 7/8" Roughing Gouge
- Includes wooden case for storage and carrying
- Great for woodworkers woodturners and penturners of all skill levels
- Adjustable rollers expand up to 54.3 inches for additional workpiece support
- Metal top provides a reusable work surface that requires no drilling unlike MDF alternatives
- Retractable swivel caster quickly turns the stand from stationary to mobile
- Compatible with the majority of saws and planers on the market
- Designed to support any WEN Benchtop Planer or Miter Saw
- ✅Products include: Included Chuck body, a set of Tightening Levers, T allen wrench, Screw chuck, adapter converts 1'' x 8TPI to 3/4" x 16TPI and Free Automatic Spring Loaded Center Punch, MAKE SURE check your wood lathe FIT first.
- ✅Internal jaws tighten around workpieces varying from 1-1/2" to 3" (or 3" Square Block). External jaws spread inside of workpieces with pilot holes ranging from 2" to 3-5/8" Included screw chuck provides even more options for supporting your projects
- ✅4" sturdy steel body with electric plating for long term anti-rust performance. Both sides of jaw teeth and guides are ground and hardened for long and stable service life. All guideways and bearing surfaces are precisely machined
- ✅Scroll chuck perfect for holding bowls, spindles, and other unwieldy wood lathe projects. Widely used for machine tools and accessories for general lathes and industrial machines
- ✅Stable Service and Long Life: VINWOX Gear Chuck made from high grade K1045 steel machined to allow closest tolerances is with electric plating for long term anti-rust performance. Both sides of jaw teeth and guides are ground, all guideways and bearing surfaces are precisely machined for stable service and long life
- INCLUDES: (1) Universal Power Tool Stand
- APPLICATION: Ideal for supporting a variety of smaller, compact bench-top machines, power tools and accessories, while giving you a sturdy, yet small and dependable work surface
- FEATURES: 500 pound load capacity to accommodate a wide assortment of tools and equipment, adjustable foot pad for stability and a heavy gauge metal base powder coat finish for long-term durability
- DIMENSIONS: 32-Inch working height. 18" x 27" storage shelf, 14” x 25” expandable MDF split top with ruled surface (expands to 20”x25”)
Last update on 2022-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API