Foam board is one of the best ways of insulating your home, however, when you are measuring it then you'll want to cut it very precisely.
This is where having the right cutting tool will really come in handy. But where can you find the right tool for this purpose?
We have compiled a list of the top foam cutting tools that you should consider buying if you're looking for a good foam cutter.
We've listed them according to their features and price range so that you can make an informed decision on which one to buy.
You'll need to find something that is durable and will remain sharp for the long term.
You also need to look at how easy they are to use as well as how comfortable they feel in your hands.
There's no point in getting something that is too complicated or difficult to handle.
Best Tool To Cut Foam Board
OUR TOP PICK
Choose this tool for cutting foam board if you like to cut manually by hand, want a simple and less dangerous tool, that's lightweight and durable enough to stand the test of time.
Our first cutting is one that comes with a retractable blade, which will definitely come in handy if you are looking to carry this one around in your pocket.
This is a great blade for use by traders and carpenters.
The blade has been designed to be used with any material that is made from paper such as cardboard, vinyl, plastic, etc.
It is a very simple design that makes it easy to use.
The blade is also quite lightweight, making it easy to hold and maneuver.
It measures 8.43 x 3.27 x 0.51. The blade is made from stainless steel and is extremely durable.
The blade is easily replaceable and can last for years without rusting.
This pen cutter is ideal for people who do not have much experience using scissors as it is fairly straightforward to use.
However, we recommend that you practice before using it because there are some things that you might not know about it.
It is important to note that the blade does not retract automatically but instead requires manual pressure.
Once you press down on the end of the pen cutter, the blade will extend outwards.
If you are going to be using this pen cutter for cutting thin materials like foam boards, you will need to apply more force than normal.
Overall, this is a pretty decent pen cutter and would be suitable for most DIY enthusiasts.
It is also very inexpensive and would be perfect for those who don't have much money to spend on their cutting needs.
- Retractable blade - this comes with a blade that you can withdraw, which is great if you are going to want to swap this tool and you don't want to cut yourself.
- Lightweight - the blade is quite light and won't weigh you down.
- Durable - the blade is made from high-quality stainless steel, which means that it won't rust over time.
- Great for cutting foam - if you want your foam to be cut cleanly without any serrated edges, then this is the knife to have. It will provide you with very neat edges.
- The blade doesn't retract automatically - you will need to manually push the blade back into its housing.
- Pricey - although it is affordable, it isn't cheap. If you are planning on purchasing this pen cutter, you may want to save up for something else.
Choose this tool for cutting foam board if you want a high end precision cutter, with high intensity heat, and may want to cut other materials such as wood, metal and leather, it also has safety features to protect you.
This next foam cutter is something a little more high-end, using some high-intensity heat to cut through your foam with no problem at all.
You can be sure that you'll have squares of foam that are cut within an inch.
You can use this foam cutter for many different purposes including cutting foam board, cutting foam insulation, and even cutting foam sheets.
It is also suitable for cutting other types of materials like paper, wood, metal, leather, etc.
When you purchase this foam cutter, you get two blades included; however, these aren't retractable so you will need to keep them stored somewhere safe when they're not being used.
The blades are made from hardened steel and are incredibly sharp.
These blades are made from nickel alloy, which allows them to get to a very high temperature.
This comes with a simple installation, which is great for anyone who might be daunted at using this very tech equipment.
- High-intensity heating system - this foam cutter uses a high-intensity heating system, which makes it possible to cut through almost anything. This includes thick foam insulation, cardboard boxes, foam sheet, etc.
- Easy to install - this foam cutter has a simple design and installation process.
- Stainless steel blades - the blades are made from hardened stainless steel, which means they won't rust or corrode over time.
- Safety features - this comes with a spring-loaded trigger switch that will automatically activate when the heat gets turned up too high.
- Expensive - although this foam cutter is fairly expensive, it's worth every penny. You'll definitely want this if you are dealing with very intensive industrial jobs.
- No storage space - you cannot store these blades in order to prevent them from getting damaged.
Choose this set of tools for cutting foam board if you want a range of tools in different shapes and sizes for different jobs, that doesn't rust or corrode.
This next set of knives is not only very effective at cutting lots of materials with precision, but they also look awesome too.
The handle of each knife is ergonomically designed, meaning that it feels comfortable in your hand.
Each knife is made from high-grade stainless steel, which means it won't rust or corrodes over time.
Each knife is also extremely durable, making them ideal for heavy-duty work.
Each knife has a unique shape, allowing you to easily identify which one you need.
They come in a variety of sizes, ranging from 5 inches to 12 inches long.
As mentioned before, these knives are perfect for cutting through just about any material.
Whether you're cutting foam insulation, foam board, plastic, paper, cardboard, glass, etc., you'll find that these knives do the job perfectly.
- Ergonomic handles - the handles on each knife are ergonomically shaped, which makes it easy to hold them comfortably while working.
- Durable construction - these knives are made from high-quality stainless steel, which means that they will last for years without breaking down.
- Unique shapes - each knife has its own distinctive shape, which makes it easier to identify what type of blade you need.
- Not all sizes are available - unfortunately, X-ACTO doesn't offer the smaller size of their knives.
- Not retractable - these knives don't have a retractable feature, meaning that you can't use them while walking around.
This next cutter is one that you can mount on your tabletop, giving you plenty of stability when you are cutting.
Again, if you want a nice clean cut with a blade that is completely straight and precise, then we would recommend this one.
The table itself is made out of sturdy metal, so it should be able to withstand some pretty intense cuts.
It even comes with an adjustable foot pedal control, which allows you to adjust the height of the table.
You can also choose between two different types of blades; either a single piece of wire or a dual piece of wire. Either way, you'll get a great result.
You can adjust the temperature of this cutter also. There are three settings to choose from: low, medium, and high.
This allows you to make sure that you are always using the right amount of heat to ensure that you get a good cut.
This is good for a wide range of industries, including architecture as well as carpentry and insulation.
If you need that accuracy, then we would certainly recommend this model.
- Adjustable foot pedal - this cutter includes an adjustable foot pedal, which lets you change the height of the table depending on how tall you are.
- Sturdy construction - the table is made out of solid metal, so it's built to last.
- Dual wire option - you can choose between having a single piece of wire or a dual piece of wire. The dual piece of wire gives you more flexibility when you are cutting.
- No retractable feature - this model does not include a retractable feature, which means that you cannot take it with you when you are moving around.
This next foam cutter comes with a sturdy pole design that will allow you to cut through thicker surfaces.
It will allow you to slice through foam with a high degree of accuracy.
It features a strong base, making it very stable when you are holding it in place.
You can easily adjust the height of the cutter by simply turning the knob at the bottom of the base.
There are four different blades included with this kit. Each blade is designed specifically for different applications, allowing you to choose the best one for the job.
There are three different temperatures to choose from, ranging from low to high.
This allows you the freedom to choose the perfect setting for whatever project you're working on.
If you are looking for a reliable foam cutter that has a lot of versatility, then this is definitely the model for you.
- Strong base - the base is made out of steel, ensuring that it won't break under pressure.
- Adjustable height - you can easily adjust the height so that it fits perfectly into any workspace.
- Four different blades - there are four different blades included, each designed for a specific application.
- Wheels - this comes with a wheel on the bottom that will allow you to glide swiftly over your foam or whatever material that you happen to be cutting into.
- No retractable feature - this cutter doesn't come with a retractable feature, so you will have to leave it behind if you move around too much.
What Types Of Foam Can You Cut?
Foam is used in many different ways throughout our homes.
It can be used as insulation, for example, or even as packaging for food products.
Whatever the case may be, you can use these foam cutters to help you achieve the results that you want.
The following list contains some of the most common types of foam that you might encounter while working on projects.
You'll find this type of foam in almost every home.
It's often found wrapped around pipes and electrical wiring, helping them stay cool during the summer months.
You can also use it to insulate walls and ceilings. It helps keep heat inside your house, keeping it warmer than without it.
Melamine foam is commonly used as an alternative to wood. It's extremely durable, but it's also lightweight, making it easy to transport.
It's great for creating furniture, such as tables and chairs. If you need something to sit down on, melamine foam is a good choice.
This type of foam is often used for packaging purposes as well as crafting.
It's usually made out of polystyrene, making it both light and resilient.
This stuff is used to make puppets and small toys.
It's also recyclable, so you don't have to worry about throwing it away after you've finished using it.
These types of foams are typically used for craft projects, like building models and sculptures.
It's incredibly versatile, which makes it ideal for just about anything.
It's also quite sturdy, which means that it can withstand a lot of abuse.
Open Cell Foam
This type is similar to plastic foam, but it's not as dense. Instead, it's more open-ended, giving it a sponge-like quality.
This kind of foam is great for crafts because it absorbs water really quickly. It's also very soft, making it ideal for cushioning items.
Closed Cell Foam
This is the opposite of open-cell foam, meaning that it's denser and less absorbent.
It's perfect for applications where you need a hard surface, like when you're making boxes or crates.
When you are looking for a decent foam cutter, there will be a few features that you will definitely be looking for.
You should make sure that you have plenty of features, good handling and precision cutting.
Here are a few things you should be looking for:
How Durable Is It?
One of the first things that you will notice about any foam cutter is how durable they are.
The best ones will last you a long time, even through years of heavy usage.
Items such as the Hercules 12-inch Foam Rubber Cutter Kit, the Hercules Hot Wire Foam Cutter Table and the Dominox Foam Cutter Electric Styrofoam Hot Knife Kit are industrial-strength tools that are built to last for years.
What Cutting Abilities Does It Have?
Another thing that you will want to look at is what abilities the tool has.
There are two main categories here: precision and speed.
Precision refers to how accurate the foam cutter is when it comes to cutting.
A good foam cutter will be able to cut straight lines with ease, and it won't leave behind any burrs.
The Dominox Foam Cutter can reach high speeds, using intense heat to sear through the foam, which is great if you are working with thicker material.
However, if you are dealing with intricate work, then the Manual Slim Pen Cutter will be better.
Does It Handle Well?
The next thing that you will want in a foam cutter is whether or not it handles well.
Some tools are designed to handle heavier materials, while others are meant for lighter jobs.
A good foam cutter will be comfortable enough to hold onto without getting tired.
It shouldn't feel too heavy either, since some people find it difficult to use them for extended periods of time.
The second one comes with a range of sizes that will help you achieve different shapes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Difference Between Closed Cell And Open Cell Foam?
Open cell foam is made from polystyrene beads. This type of foam is extremely light and airy, which makes it perfect for craft projects.
Closed-cell foam is much harder and denser, making it perfect for crafting products that require a solid base.
How Thick Is Foam Board?
Foam board is usually around 1/4" thick, although it can vary depending on the brand.
Do I Need To Sand Down My Foam Before Using It?
Yes, you should always sand down your foam board before using it. Sanding helps to smooth out any rough edges so that the tool doesn't snag during cutting.
Can I Use Regular Scissors To Cut Foam?
No, you cannot use regular scissors to cut the foam. They don't have the right kind of blades to cut this type of foam.
What's The Best Foam Cutting Board Tool?
When it comes to choosing a foam cutter, there are many factors to consider.
These include durability, precision, speed, and usability, so therefore the top pick is...
However, if you prefer the automatic approach the best option is the...
...X-ACTO Knife Set.
Last update on 2023-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API