Imagine you could build the bed that your kids have always dreamed of?
It would likely be a bunk bed as kids just love them and sure you can easily buy one and it would keep them happy but imagine taking it to the next level?
Imagine building a dream bunk bed, with a cute little ladder, from scratch and your kids remembering it forever, it's exciting isn't it?
I'm in the process of building one from scratch and I'm constantly looking for inspiration and DIY plans so I'm happy to share what I've found and love so far.
Here are 6 kids DIY bunk bed plans for you to be inspired by...
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Fix This Build That Kids Dream Loft Bed
Watch as some basic 2X4's are turned into a kids dream bed on the Fix This Build That Youtube channel, it's magical.
The fantastic thing is that once the wood is cut it's really easy to assemble into the bed then sand down the wood with a sander, apply a little paint
with a paint edger an and you're done.
Words cannot do it justice so just watch the full video here...
2. Rouge Engineers 2x4 Bunk Bed Plan
Rogue Engineer aka Jamison and his wife Jamie both love to build stuff, I love this couple already!
This project came about when one of his readers (Amanda) reached out to ask him to create plans for a simple series of bed that can be built out of 2×4’s as she was headed to the Dominican Republic on her very first mission trip to make 15 beds for the kids (awesome!)
And so this 2x4 bunk bed plan was born, check out how it looks...
You can see the full, step by step, plans and awesome photos that Amanda took from the Dominican republic showing Rogue Engineers work being put to use right here.
3. Jen Woodhouse's Triple Bunkbed
Jen is a self taught carpenter who loves to solve problems and build and she built this whilst pregnant and whilst looking after triplets, talk about being awesome!
Jen built this beautifully painted triple bunks (it's gorgeous!) for under $200 too which considering how good it looks is fantastic, check it out...
Jen clearly has a beautiful home, an eye for design, and is a great DIY'er so I'm very impressed.
You can see here full plan and pictures here.
Bestseller No. 1
DHP Daven Easy Assembly Kids Bunk Bed, Twin Over Full, Black
- A bunk bed that can be put together in under 60 minutes – dreams do come true! Designed with an easy lock technology that makes assembly a breeze, this bedroom mainstay will simplify any kids sleeping space
- Featuring interlocking joints and brackets, the bed’s hardware includes only 16 screws total and an Allen key to complete installation for unbelievably fast use. Quickly disassembles for easy transport. Plastic capped posts prevent floor scuffing
- Made with a solid metal frame, the modern style bunk bed boasts clean edged lines, an easy to climb integrated ladder, and full-length guardrails for durability and safety while strong steel slats offer mattress support
- Ships in one easy to handle box with all parts, tools, and instructions included for speedy set up. A rubber or wood mallet is recommended to aid the assembly process (not included). Available in Twin over Twin and Twin over Full size
- Twin/Full bunk bed dimensions: 77.5”L x 56”W x 60”H. Net weight: 78.5 lbs. Weight limit: Upper bunk – 200 lbs. Lower bunk – 350 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 80.5“L x 16”W x 7.5”H. Gross weight: 89.5 lbs. 1-year limited warranty
Bestseller No. 2
Twin Over Twin Floor Bunk Bed with Slide and Ladder,Solid Pine Wood Low Bunkbeds w/Safety Guardrails,No Box Spring Needed, Noise Free for Dorm, Bedroom, Guest Room, White
- Designed for child safety：The upper bunk features a guardrail, while the bottom bunk is designed to include both a headboard and footboard. The high guardrails allow your kid to sleep safely on the top bunk, preventing accidental falls. Moreover, the strong and sturdy wooden ladder with thick steps provide quick and easy access to the top bunk. The low height design also ensures a safe climb.
- Twin Bunk Beds with Slide:Standard twin over twin size bunk, bed frame made of solid pine wood,Weight Capacity: 250 lbs; Weight capacity per bed safely holds kids to adults. Solid pine slats and metal support bar for added reinforcement to top bed.The staircase and slide can be set up on the left or right side of the bunk, and guarantees hours of fun for your kids.
- Modern and Sturdy Kids Bunk Bed Frame：Modern, hardwood and stylish low bunk bed,features a twin top bunk over a twin bottom with wood ladder and slide which looks great in any bedroom or guest room arrangement,Crafted of high quality pine wood construction .Durable, non-toxic.This Solid Wood Twin bunk beds with slide is designed with a clean silhouette and a hue of elegance. Enjoy many long years of relaxation and family fun, secure in this meticulously designed wood platform bed.
- Space-Saving Design:This compact floor bunk bed fully utilizes vertical space to fit in small room, which will be a perfect choice for a growing family. This modern bunk bed is available in multiple colors, which can match well with any room style and will be the perfect complement to children's room or play room.
- Best Service：Overall bunk bed dimension: 80''L*82.9''W*50''H.Recommend MattressThickness of Bed(Upper/Down):6''/8-10''.Each order comes with a clear and detailed assembly instruction guide and all necessary tools are provided to get your bed assembled in no time.NOTE: This item comes in 2 boxes and may not be delivered at the same time.If you have any questions, please contact us and we will reply within 24 hours.
Bestseller No. 3
DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed, White, Twin over Twin
- Made with a Sturdy metal Construction | Includes secured metal slats, 12. 5-Inch full-length guardrails and a ladder integrated to the frame | Ladder can only be placed in one side
- Product dimensions – 77.5" L x 41.5” W x 54” H | Clearance left between beds – 37” | Mattress max height – 6”” | Weight limit (Upper/ Lower bed) – 200/250 lbs. | Distance between slats – 3.5”
- Ships in one easy to handle box and it is simple to assemble
- Space Saving sleeping solution | Compact silhouette with an industrial design
- Accommodates two standard twin size mattresses in both bunk beds (sold separately)
SaleBestseller No. 4
CALABASH Twin Over Twin Metal Bunk Bed with Trundle Heavy Duty Bunk Beds Frame with 2 Side Ladders Convertible Bunkbed with Safety Guard Rails,No Box Spring Needed (Black)
- 😘Heavy Duty Bunk Bed :This twin size metal bunk bed frame is made of heavy duty steel ,which provides sturdiness and durability.250 lbs of upper bed ,400 lbs of bottom bed,250 lbs of twin size trundle bed .
- 😘Multi-purpose Trundle Bunk Beds :This functional trundle bunk bed helps to save space greatly. Perfect choice if you have more kids. It can also be converted into 2 individual beds when your kids get older or you have visiting guest ,it serves easily as extra beds for them to sleep in .
- 😘Space Saving Bed Frame :With Pull out trundle bed,this twin-over-twin metal bunkbed is great in saving space for compact place. Very ideal for school dormitory ,company dorm room ,and home apartment etc.
- 😘Safety Secured Bunk Beds :This well structured bunk bed is firmly supported by the metal slats and bars .The upper bunk is surrounded by full length guard rails to ensure the safety of your kids .2 bulit-in side ladders to guanrantee easy access to the top bunk.
- 😘Easy Aseembly : A detailed instruction manual along with all the necessary tools are provided to get your bed assembled in no time.
Bestseller No. 5
Lostcat House Bunk Bed with Slide and Slide,Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed with Safety Guardrails and Roof Design for Kids, Teens, Girls, Boys,No Box Spring Required,White
- [Three colors available]This slide bunk bed is available in three colors to meet the different needs of boys and girls. The slide design brings unlimited fun to you, and the side shelf can conveniently place small objects.
- [Friendly Design]Crafted with a whimsical playhouse design, this bunk bed offers you a comfortable and exhilarating experience during both sleep and playtime that will let your imaginations run wild. Perfect for hours of entertainment and relaxation, the playhouse design makes this bunk the perfect centerpiece for any your bedroom.
- [Sturdy Frame]This bunk bed is made with sturdy metal that is stable and durable. Coming with built-in mattress support, the bunk features many slats to help increase the longevity of your mattresses.
- [Safety Ensured] Bed comes with full-length guardrails, built-in ladders and secured metal slats that do not require foundation.
- [Dimensions] Overall Product Dimension:77.9"L x 41.3"W x82.2"H. Some assembly is required, although we have provided clear instructions and tools. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our friendly customer service representatives,Please note that we ship multiple packages, they may not arrive at the same time, please wait patiently.
4. Viktor at TheDIYPlan Bunk Beds With Stairs
Viktor is a self proclaimed creator, design, and repurposer who prefers to fix broken things than replace them and make stuff he wants over buying it, I love his ethos!
He built this DIY bunk bed out of necessity due to having limited space in his apartment and he's done a fantastic job, see...
Viktor shares his steps to build it and the chance to purchase his printable PDF with the full plan on it here.
5. Jays Custom Creations Bunk Bed
Jay and his wife decided that after buying their house they would no longer buy any furniture and instead make anything they need.
With family due to visit he decided to build somewhere for them to sleep and this is how his creation came to life.
To see his full story and his step by step guides then check it out here.
Did You Enjoy These DIY Bunk Bed Plans?
I really hope some of these bunk bed DIY plans have inspired you to build your own (if you're comfortable doing so).
It can be a fantastic way to save money, get your hands dirty, and have a lot of fun then at the end of the project you have a really practical item you can use for years to come that your kids will love!
Now please go out there and build your kids dream bed!