Imagine you could build the bed that your kids have always dreamed of?
It would likely be a bunk bed as kids just love them and sure you can easily buy one and it would keep them happy but imagine taking it to the next level?
Imagine building a dream bunk bed, with a cute little ladder, from scratch and your kids remembering it forever, it's exciting isn't it?
I'm in the process of building one from scratch and I'm constantly looking for inspiration and DIY plans so I'm happy to share what I've found and love so far.
Here are 6 kids DIY bunk bed plans for you to be inspired by...
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Fix This Build That Kids Dream Loft Bed
Watch as some basic 2X4's are turned into a kids dream bed on the Fix This Build That Youtube channel, it's magical.
The fantastic thing is that once the wood is cut it's really easy to assemble into the bed then sand down the wood with a sander, apply a little paint
with a paint edger an and you're done.
Words cannot do it justice so just watch the full video here...
2. Rouge Engineers 2x4 Bunk Bed Plan
Rogue Engineer aka Jamison and his wife Jamie both love to build stuff, I love this couple already!
This project came about when one of his readers (Amanda) reached out to ask him to create plans for a simple series of bed that can be built out of 2×4’s as she was headed to the Dominican Republic on her very first mission trip to make 15 beds for the kids (awesome!)
And so this 2x4 bunk bed plan was born, check out how it looks...
You can see the full, step by step, plans and awesome photos that Amanda took from the Dominican republic showing Rogue Engineers work being put to use right here.
3. Jen Woodhouse's Triple Bunkbed
Jen is a self taught carpenter who loves to solve problems and build and she built this whilst pregnant and whilst looking after triplets, talk about being awesome!
Jen built this beautifully painted triple bunks (it's gorgeous!) for under $200 too which considering how good it looks is fantastic, check it out...
Jen clearly has a beautiful home, an eye for design, and is a great DIY'er so I'm very impressed.
You can see here full plan and pictures here.
Bestseller No. 2
Full Over Full Bunk Bed for Kids Teens, Detachable Wood Full Bunk Bed Frame with Trundle (New-Grey)
- Detachable Full over Full bunk bed: This full bunk bed could be used as two separated full bed according to your needs.No need to buy other beds when kids grow up, serves from kids to teens. A great money-saving solution for you.
- Full Bunk Bed with Twin Trundle: Features two full bed and a twin size pull-out trundle bed for overnight guest,maximize the usage of your space. Perfect if you are tight on space.
- Sturdy Wood Bunk Bed Frame: Crafted with high quality pine wood and plywood, this bunk beds support up to 250 lbs for the top bed, 300lbs for the bottom bed and 175 lbs for the twin trundle.
- Overall dimensions: 79.1"L x 58.4"W x 65.5"H.Fits standard Full size mattress(not included),no box spring needed.
- Assembly required; Comes with assemble instruction and tools( and 180 day warranty). Comes in 2 boxes, if you don`t receive them together ,please kindly wait for few days. Feel free contacting us If you meet any problem, we will reply in 16 hours.
SaleBestseller No. 4
DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed, Silver, Twin over Twin
- Made with a Sturdy metal Construction | Includes secured metal slats, 12. 5-Inch full-length guardrails and a ladder integrated to the frame | Ladder can only be placed in one side
- Product dimensions – 77.5" L x 41.5” W x 54” H | Clearance left between beds – 37” | Mattress max height – 6”” | Weight limit (Upper/ Lower bed) – 200/250 lbs. | Distance between slats – 3.5”
- Space Saving sleeping solution | Compact silhouette with an industrial design
- Accommodates two standard twin size mattresses in both bunk beds
Bestseller No. 5
Twin Over Full Bunk Bed with Stairs, Wood Bunk Bed Frame with Storage Drawers and Shelves, No Box Spring Needed, Grey
- [ Overall Dimension ] 91.7"L * 51.6"W * 61.4"H,10 slats each bed to support your mattresses evenly, no box springs needed. recommend thickness: 6" twin for the top bunk, 6" to 8" for the bottom bunk.(mattress sold separetely)
- [ Detachable Twin over Full Bunk Bed ] Perfect for families with 2 kids, You can use this bunk when kids sharing a room or accommdate your overnight guest, and you can separate them into a twin bed and a full bed when your kids grow up and need their own space. Key Product Features
- [ Bunk Bed with Storage ] this bunk features two bed and bonus 2 under bed drawers and storage shelves under the staircase, to provide space for extra comforters, pillows, linens or other things you need to store, but want to have close at hand. maximize the usage of your space.
- [ Assemble Needed ] This twin over full bunk bed frame comes with step-by-step instruction and tools, easy to assemble, you can also download online instruction here :Technical Specification>Installation Manual.
- [ This twin over full bunk bed shipped in 3 boxes ] if you don`t receive them all at the same time, please wait for the others few days. Comes with 180-day warranty, If there is any part missing or damaged during shipping, feel free contacting us, we will help you to solve the problem ASAP.
4. Viktor at TheDIYPlan Bunk Beds With Stairs
Viktor is a self proclaimed creator, design, and repurposer who prefers to fix broken things than replace them and make stuff he wants over buying it, I love his ethos!
He built this DIY bunk bed out of necessity due to having limited space in his apartment and he's done a fantastic job, see...
Viktor shares his steps to build it and the chance to purchase his printable PDF with the full plan on it here.
5. Jays Custom Creations Bunk Bed
Jay and his wife decided that after buying their house they would no longer buy any furniture and instead make anything they need.
With family due to visit he decided to build somewhere for them to sleep and this is how his creation came to life.
To see his full story and his step by step guides then check it out here.
Did You Enjoy These DIY Bunk Bed Plans?
I really hope some of these bunk bed DIY plans have inspired you to build your own (if you're comfortable doing so).
It can be a fantastic way to save money, get your hands dirty, and have a lot of fun then at the end of the project you have a really practical item you can use for years to come that your kids will love!
Now please go out there and build your kids dream bed!