Imagine you could build the bed that your kids have always dreamed of?
It would likely be a bunk bed as kids just love them and sure you can easily buy one and it would keep them happy but imagine taking it to the next level?
Imagine building a dream bunk bed, with a cute little ladder, from scratch and your kids remembering it forever, it's exciting isn't it?
I'm in the process of building one from scratch and I'm constantly looking for inspiration and DIY plans so I'm happy to share what I've found and love so far.
Here are 6 kids DIY bunk bed plans for you to be inspired by...
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Fix This Build That Kids Dream Loft Bed
Watch as some basic 2X4's are turned into a kids dream bed on the Fix This Build That Youtube channel, it's magical.
The fantastic thing is that once the wood is cut it's really easy to assemble into the bed then sand down the wood with a sander, apply a little paint
with a paint edger an and you're done.
Words cannot do it justice so just watch the full video here...
2. Rouge Engineers 2x4 Bunk Bed Plan
Rogue Engineer aka Jamison and his wife Jamie both love to build stuff, I love this couple already!
This project came about when one of his readers (Amanda) reached out to ask him to create plans for a simple series of bed that can be built out of 2×4’s as she was headed to the Dominican Republic on her very first mission trip to make 15 beds for the kids (awesome!)
And so this 2x4 bunk bed plan was born, check out how it looks...
You can see the full, step by step, plans and awesome photos that Amanda took from the Dominican republic showing Rogue Engineers work being put to use right here.
3. Jen Woodhouse's Triple Bunkbed
Jen is a self taught carpenter who loves to solve problems and build and she built this whilst pregnant and whilst looking after triplets, talk about being awesome!
Jen built this beautifully painted triple bunks (it's gorgeous!) for under $200 too which considering how good it looks is fantastic, check it out...
Jen clearly has a beautiful home, an eye for design, and is a great DIY'er so I'm very impressed.
You can see here full plan and pictures here.
Bestseller No. 1
HAUSHECK Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed with Trundle for 3 Kids/Adults, Detachable Twin Bunk Beds w/ 2 Side Ladders & Full-Length Guardrails, Space-Saving Metal Bedframe for Dorm, No Box Spring Needed
- ➤Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed with Trundle fo 3 Kids: An ideal space-saver and a perfect addition for a growing family with 2-3 kids, the bunk bed efficiently accommodates little ones, and young teens, allowing them the freedom and space to host friends and also offering a sleeping solution for younger sibling that share bedroom space
- ➤Detachable Bunk Bed: This bunk bed can conveniently separate into two individual twin beds. With time goes by, you can easily give your children their own independent space.
- ➤Space Saving: Having convenient built-in ladders on each side, this stylish bunk bed saves space for you. Without cumbersome spring box, trundle under the lower bunk bed gives you extra sleeping space.
- ➤Noise Free: With the design of EVA center support beam and slat lockers, we have significantly reduced squeak noise that metal beds usually have in common. You will have a good and quiet sleep from now on.
- ➤Metal Frame Solid Construction: Made by strong and sturdy metal provides durability and stability. The metal slats support the mattresses not to slide and also increase the mattresses life. Upper bunk holds 400 lbs, lower bunk holds 400 lbs. the trundle holds 300 lbs.
Bestseller No. 5
Storkcraft Caribou Twin-over-Twin Bunk Bed (Gray) – GREENGUARD Gold Certified, Converts to 2 individual twin beds
- TWIN OVER TWIN BUNK BED FOR KIDS: Twin over twin bunk bed with ladder; Convertible bunk bed can be transformed into 2 individual twin beds for maximum versatility; Designed to fit any standard twin mattress (mattresses not included); Assembly required
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED, SAFETY TESTED: Screened for more than 10,000 chemicals and VOCs known to pollute indoor air; Tested at third-party, accredited laboratories to meet or exceed applicable CPSIA & ASTM International category safety standards
- QUALITY CRAFTMANSHIP: Crafted of rubberwood solids, engineered wood, and wood composites; Includes fixed 5-step ladder and full-length safety guardrails for top bunk; Top bunk not to be used by children under 6 years of age
- AWARD-WINNING BRAND: Storkcraft is the proud recipient of the Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Seal of Approval for nursery and children’s furniture, and the 2018-2023 Women’s Choice Award for 9 out of 10 Recommended Baby & Kids Furniture
- BUNK BED DIMENSIONS (ASSEMBLED): Depth (41.97 inches) x Length (79.13 inches) x Height (64.72 inches) x Weight (142.80 pounds); Mattress must not exceed 7 inches (17.78 cm) in thickness
4. Viktor at TheDIYPlan Bunk Beds With Stairs
Viktor is a self proclaimed creator, design, and repurposer who prefers to fix broken things than replace them and make stuff he wants over buying it, I love his ethos!
He built this DIY bunk bed out of necessity due to having limited space in his apartment and he's done a fantastic job, see...
Viktor shares his steps to build it and the chance to purchase his printable PDF with the full plan on it here.
5. Jays Custom Creations Bunk Bed
Jay and his wife decided that after buying their house they would no longer buy any furniture and instead make anything they need.
With family due to visit he decided to build somewhere for them to sleep and this is how his creation came to life.
To see his full story and his step by step guides then check it out here.
Did You Enjoy These DIY Bunk Bed Plans?
I really hope some of these bunk bed DIY plans have inspired you to build your own (if you're comfortable doing so).
It can be a fantastic way to save money, get your hands dirty, and have a lot of fun then at the end of the project you have a really practical item you can use for years to come that your kids will love!
Now please go out there and build your kids dream bed!