Imagine you could build the bed that your kids have always dreamed of?
It would likely be a bunk bed as kids just love them and sure you can easily buy one and it would keep them happy but imagine taking it to the next level?
Imagine building a dream bunk bed, with a cute little ladder, from scratch and your kids remembering it forever, it's exciting isn't it?
I'm in the process of building one from scratch and I'm constantly looking for inspiration and DIY plans so I'm happy to share what I've found and love so far.
Here are 6 kids DIY bunk bed plans for you to be inspired by...
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Fix This Build That Kids Dream Loft Bed
Watch as some basic 2X4's are turned into a kids dream bed on the Fix This Build That Youtube channel, it's magical.
The fantastic thing is that once the wood is cut it's really easy to assemble into the bed then sand down the wood with a sander, apply a little paint
with a paint edger an and you're done.
Words cannot do it justice so just watch the full video here...
2. Rouge Engineers 2x4 Bunk Bed Plan
Rogue Engineer aka Jamison and his wife Jamie both love to build stuff, I love this couple already!
This project came about when one of his readers (Amanda) reached out to ask him to create plans for a simple series of bed that can be built out of 2×4’s as she was headed to the Dominican Republic on her very first mission trip to make 15 beds for the kids (awesome!)
And so this 2x4 bunk bed plan was born, check out how it looks...
You can see the full, step by step, plans and awesome photos that Amanda took from the Dominican republic showing Rogue Engineers work being put to use right here.
3. Jen Woodhouse's Triple Bunkbed
Jen is a self taught carpenter who loves to solve problems and build and she built this whilst pregnant and whilst looking after triplets, talk about being awesome!
Jen built this beautifully painted triple bunks (it's gorgeous!) for under $200 too which considering how good it looks is fantastic, check it out...
Jen clearly has a beautiful home, an eye for design, and is a great DIY'er so I'm very impressed.
You can see here full plan and pictures here.
SaleBestseller No. 1
DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder, Space-Saving Design, Blue
- SMALL SPACE APPROVED | Add a modern flair and a playful vibe in any room with this bunk bed that fits seamlessly in any small living spaces.
- 2-in-1 | Sleek, space-saving design that accommodates 1 twin mattress and 1 full mattress (sold separately).
- DURABLE METAL FRAME | Sturdy and durable metal frame provides proper seating support and comfort. Ladder is slanted for added safety.
- EASY TO HANDLE |Ships in one convenient box and is simple to assemble.
- WEIGHT LIMITS |Upper bunk bed: 200lb. Bottom bunk bed: 450lb.
Bestseller No. 2
CALABASH Twin Over Twin Metal Bunk Bed with Trundle Heavy Duty Twin Size Metal Bunk Beds Frame with 2 Side Ladders Convertible Bunkbed with Safety Guard Rails,No Box Spring Needed (Black)
- 😘Heavy Duty Bunk Bed :This twim size metal bunk bed frame is made of heavy duty steel ,which provides sturdiness and durability.250 lbs of upper bed ,400 lbs of bottom bed,250 lbs of twin size trundle bed .
- 😘Multi-purpose Trundle Bunk Beds :This functional trundle bunk bed helps to save space greatly. Perfect choice if you have more kids. It can also be converted into 2 individual beds when your kids get older or you have visiting guest ,it serves easily as extra beds for them to sleep in .
- 😘Space Saving Bed Frame :With Pull out trundle bed,this twin-over-twin metal bunkbed is great in saving space for compact place. Very ideal for school dormitory ,company dorm room ,and home apartment etc.
- 😘Safety Secured Bunk Beds :This well structured bunk bed is firmly supported by the metal slats and bars .The upper bunk is surrounded by full length guard rails to ensure the safety of your kids .2 bulit-in side ladders to guanrantee easy access to the top bunk.
- 😘Easy Aseembly : A detailed instruction manual along with all the necessary tools are provided to get your bed assembled in no time.
SaleBestseller No. 3
DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed, Black, Twin over Twin
- Made with a Sturdy metal Construction | Includes secured metal slats, 12. 5-Inch full-length guardrails and a ladder integrated to the frame | Ladder can only be placed in one side.Maximum weight recommendation:250 pounds
- Product dimensions – 77.5" L x 41.5” W x 54” H | Clearance left between beds – 37” | Mattress max height – 6”” | Weight limit (Upper/ Lower bed) – 200/250 lbs. | Distance between slats – 3.5”
- Ships in one easy to handle box and it is simple to assemble
- Space Saving sleeping solution | Compact silhouette with an industrial design
- Accommodates two standard twin size mattresses in both bunk beds (sold separately)
SaleBestseller No. 4
Bed Assembly - Bunk Bed with Storage
- Assembly of 1 customer-supplied bed per product instructions
- Product should be in the room where it is to be assembled before provider arrives. Moving product after assembly is not included
- Room must have sufficient space to perform assembly
- Cleanup work area. Take packaging to customer's bins unless customer declines
- Products requiring additional work may result in an updated estimate from provider
SaleBestseller No. 5
Bunk Beds Frame Twin Over Twin, Heavy Duty Twin Size Metal Bunk Bed Frame with Guardrail & Ladders , Space-Saving, Noise Free, No Box Spring Needed (Black) 2685
- Twin Size Bunk Beds with Removable Ladder -- Integrated ladder for secure climbing to the top beds, which can be attached to either side of the bunk bed, convenient without limited for bedroom
- Metal Bed Frame with Steel Construction -- made of High quality sturdy steel structure features solid slats support and heavy-duty strength, no box spring needed, mattress are not included
- 12.59” Full-Length Guardrails -- built in 12.59” high safety guardrails, which allows sleep safely and have a good dream over the night, with 12.44” under-bed storage, offer ample space to storage seasonal clothes or sundries
- Easy To Assemble, One Box Shipping -- L shape metal slats make bunk bed easier assembly, All accessories and instructions are included, , mattresses can be put on the slats directly
- Twin Over Twin Bunks Bed --77.49" L x 41.65" W x 64.76" H, Weight Capacity:330 lbs (upper) / 440 lbs (lower), the bunk bed can make full use of any space in any bedroom or guest room arrangement, space saving design is easy to accommodate with other bedroom furniture
4. Viktor at TheDIYPlan Bunk Beds With Stairs
Viktor is a self proclaimed creator, design, and repurposer who prefers to fix broken things than replace them and make stuff he wants over buying it, I love his ethos!
He built this DIY bunk bed out of necessity due to having limited space in his apartment and he's done a fantastic job, see...
Viktor shares his steps to build it and the chance to purchase his printable PDF with the full plan on it here.
5. Jays Custom Creations Bunk Bed
Jay and his wife decided that after buying their house they would no longer buy any furniture and instead make anything they need.
With family due to visit he decided to build somewhere for them to sleep and this is how his creation came to life.
To see his full story and his step by step guides then check it out here.
Did You Enjoy These DIY Bunk Bed Plans?
I really hope some of these bunk bed DIY plans have inspired you to build your own (if you're comfortable doing so).
It can be a fantastic way to save money, get your hands dirty, and have a lot of fun then at the end of the project you have a really practical item you can use for years to come that your kids will love!
Now please go out there and build your kids dream bed!