Imagine you could build the bed that your kids have always dreamed of?
It would likely be a bunk bed as kids just love them and sure you can easily buy one and it would keep them happy but imagine taking it to the next level?
Imagine building a dream bunk bed, with a cute little ladder, from scratch and your kids remembering it forever, it's exciting isn't it?
I'm in the process of building one from scratch and I'm constantly looking for inspiration and DIY plans so I'm happy to share what I've found and love so far.
Here are 6 kids DIY bunk bed plans for you to be inspired by...
DISCLOSURE: TheRuggedRooster.com is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Fix This Build That Kids Dream Loft Bed
Watch as some basic 2X4's are turned into a kids dream bed on the Fix This Build That Youtube channel, it's magical.
The fantastic thing is that once the wood is cut it's really easy to assemble into the bed then sand down the wood with a sander, apply a little paint with a paint edger an and you're done.
Words cannot do it justice so just watch the full video here...
2. Rouge Engineers 2x4 Bunk Bed Plan
Rogue Engineer aka Jamison and his wife Jamie both love to build stuff, I love this couple already!
This project came about when one of his readers (Amanda) reached out to ask him to create plans for a simple series of bed that can be built out of 2×4’s as she was headed to the Dominican Republic on her very first mission trip to make 15 beds for the kids (awesome!)
And so this 2x4 bunk bed plan was born, check out how it looks...
You can see the full, step by step, plans and awesome photos that Amanda took from the Dominican republic showing Rogue Engineers work being put to use right here.
3. Jen Woodhouse's Triple Bunkbed
Jen is a self taught carpenter who loves to solve problems and build and she built this whilst pregnant and whilst looking after triplets, talk about being awesome!
Jen built this beautifully painted triple bunks (it's gorgeous!) for under $200 too which considering how good it looks is fantastic, check it out...
Jen clearly has a beautiful home, an eye for design, and is a great DIY'er so I'm very impressed.
You can see here full plan and pictures here.
Bestseller No. 2 Storkcraft Caribou Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed with Ladder and Safety Rail, Gray
- DURABLE AND SOLID HARDWOOD: Constructed of solid rubberwood and composites, a material that is naturally stronger, denser, and more durable that the more commonly-used pine wood found in other bunk beds
- FULL LENGTH SAFETY RAILS AND LADDER: Complete with full length safety rails on the top bunk, and equipped with a strong and sturdy 5 step ladder for easy access to the top bunk
- CONVERTS INTO 2 SEPARATE BEDS: The perfect sleepover companion, this convertible bunk bed can easily be transformed into 2 separate twin size beds for maximum versatility
- Please note: Our bunk beds arrive in multiple boxes, which may be delivered in separate shipments.
SaleBestseller No. 4 Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin Low Bunk Bed with Slide, White
- Your purchase includes One Max & Lily Low Bunk Bed, Twin Over Twin Size in White color with Slide | 180217-002 model | Slat platforms included, mattress and bedding not included | No box spring or bunkie board required
- Bunk Bed dimensions – 84.5" W x 50" H x 81.5" L | Under top bed – 33.2” | Max weight limit (per bed) – 400 lbs. | Fits standard Twin mattresses
- Supportive lower mattress slats sit 2” off the ground providing air circulation
- Slide and ladder are both reversible & removable (can be installed on left or right-hand side)
- Made from Solid, New Zealand Pine wood construction | Durable, non-toxic, low VOC finish | Item cannot be painted unless heavily sanded
4. Viktor at TheDIYPlan Bunk Beds With Stairs
Viktor is a self proclaimed creator, design, and repurposer who prefers to fix broken things than replace them and make stuff he wants over buying it, I love his ethos!
He built this DIY bunk bed out of necessity due to having limited space in his apartment and he's done a fantastic job, see...
Viktor shares his steps to build it and the chance to purchase his printable PDF with the full plan on it here.
5. Jays Custom Creations Bunk Bed
Jay and his wife decided that after buying their house they would no longer buy any furniture and instead make anything they need.
With family due to visit he decided to build somewhere for them to sleep and this is how his creation came to life.
To see his full story and his step by step guides then check it out here.
Did You Enjoy These DIY Bunk Bed Plans?
I really hope some of these bunk bed DIY plans have inspired you to build your own (if you're comfortable doing so).
It can be a fantastic way to save money, get your hands dirty, and have a lot of fun then at the end of the project you have a really practical item you can use for years to come that your kids will love!
Now please go out there and build your kids dream bed!