If you love DIY projects as I do, you must have tried repairing a lot of things. But have you tried to repair torn book pages?
My latest project was repairing one of my dad’s old diaries that I wanted to keep due to its content.
One of the challenges I experienced during the project was finding the best glue for the job.
There are numerous types of glues in the market, but each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Without the right glue, you will fail on the task or also ruin the book.
On the other hand, the right type of glue will help you bind the papers effectively and make it easier.
The glue should be flexible, strong, easy to apply and dry quickly. This article is a guide on the best type of glues for bookbinding.
PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate)
I have tried PVA glue several times, and the results were satisfactory.
This glue is strong and easy to work with, plus it the most versatile and forgiving among the glues I have used so far.
PVA glue is a regular white glue that you can easily brush onto the book’s spine and wait for it to dry.
Due to its acid-free nature, PVA is mainly used to repair books in libraries.
The only disadvantage of using this glue type is its slow drying time.
You must keep the pages clamped together as you wait for it to dry.
Contact cement is another of my favourite glues when it comes to repairing torn books.
This glue is thicker than PVA glue, but you can still brush it on the spine with ease.
You should apply the glue to both the cover and the spine and wait for about thirty minutes before pressing the two parts.
Drying only takes a few minutes.
A friend recommended this glue, which I loved due to its extremely strong bonds.
Epoxy comes into arts which you must mix before applying on the surfaces.
You should mix enough glue for the project because any excess glue will harden into a rock.
Since the mixing process can be tedious, I would only recommend this glue for someone doing minor repairs or binding one or two books.
Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Hot Glue
This is the best glue to use if you are looking for fast drying times.
However, I would not recommend this glue to beginners as it is hard to work with and requires special tools like glue guns and a source of heat.
People who use this glue for big projects use professional bookbinding machines with a heated glue pot that evenly deposits the glue across the spine.
From my experience, it is advisable to continue using cold glues like PVA glues and contact cement if you don’t have the right tools for the job.
Using EVA hot glues without professional tools is time-consuming, plus the results may not be satisfactory.
- Ph neutral acid free
- Will not become brittle over time
- It is Reversible
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Model Number: 901-1008
- Item Package Dimensions: 7.49999999235" L x 1.99999999796" W x 1.99999999796" H
- Item Package Weight: 0.70106999316 lb
- High quality: Archival material created and made in USA. Lineco is a leading and trusted brand for archival and high quality art, photography, and framing supplies.
- Easy To Use: Professional quality adhesive is water soluble when wet so it can be thinned with water to extend drying time if desired.
- Fast drying: Acid-free, non-yellowing properties, dries quick, and clear when dried.
- Many uses: Ideal for bookbinding, paper projects, as well as mounting artwork.
- Packaging may vary.
- High Quality Material: The hot glue binder is built with superior stainless steel, which has passed the CE certification and ISO9001 quality certification. It comes with a built-in milling cutter for the book spine to make your finished book more robust.
- Easy to Operate: This bookbinding machine utilizes hot glue to bind books and various pages with hard or soft covers in just a few minutes. It can attach thick pages with little glue and mill grooves in the book spine, firm, and efficient.
- Thought Out Design: The clamping device is made from superior materials for better clamping. The positioning device for flyings of hardcover makes it easy and convenient to bind the hardcover. The milling cutter can mill the spine deeply without blocking the paper.
- High Security: The book binding's machine body is reinforced and thickened to ensure safe transportation and longer service life. It has an adhesive filtering device to avoid the jamming of pot by impurity and a DC motor to provide powerful force.
- Wide Application: Our glue bookbinding is suitable for A4 paper and notepaper about business card size, without additional adjustment. It is widely used in professional print and copy shops, binding companies, designing institutes, etc.
- 4 Fluid Ounces - Non Toxic
- Specially formulated PVA (poly vinyl Acetate) at a stable 7.9 pH
- Dries Transparent - Ultra High Layflat Properties
- Bonds permanently, yet remains flexible for a variety of book repairs
- Instructions on back of bottle
PolyUrethane Reactive Adhesive
Since these glues react with moisture when curing, they appear to be soaking into the paper and produce a strong spine which can also expand to form lumpy spines when drying.
You should ensure that the application is thick to ensure good results.
Since the drying time for PUR is similar to that of PVA glues, you have to keep the pages clamped together to allow bonding before drying.
Last update on 2022-01-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API